Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moores Cottages Lr. Rutland Street

• 01-03-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, Would anyone out there remember Moores Cottages, Lr. Rutland Street. I am trying to find a family that lived there in the 1940's but I fear the cottages may have been demolished. If anyone can help I would be grateful.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Where exactly was it? Most of lower rutland street is still as it was years back with the exception of the old carpark at the back of mountain view flats (now loads of houses/apartments) and about 10 houses on on rutland street itself were developed into apartments. (anyone remember Filo's/phelo's shop there?)

The only cottages im aware of down there are Rutland cottages themselves, and another row down the stairs at the end of rutland cottages, i think their called bella place, or bella street, something like that.

Here's a link to the area, dunno why there's a bus logo there on rutland street.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dublin&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.315864,86.572266&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin+City,+Ireland&ll=53.355008,-6.251795&spn=0.001671,0.005284&t=h&z=18&iwloc=lyrftr:h,0x48670e89b12da3a5:0xf92452c6f6fe3f7c,53.355034,-6.252337

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gfmason

Hi Masada, I don't know the area at all. The only address I have goes back to 1946 and it says 3 Moores Cottages Lower Rutland Street. It may well be that the name of the cottages were changed at some point, probably to Rutland Cottages. I will check this out with the council. Have the name of the family that lived there at the time and they are the people I am trying to trace. As I do not know if they are alive or not I won't give out the name.

Can ya give the surname alone? I wouldn't know them myself but i believe i do know someone who might.,:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Do you have access to a Thom's directory for that year?
    It will have the name of all occupants...or one of the online censusus.

Hi Degsy, thanks for your post. I know the name of the family that lived there in 1946. What I am trying to do is find out what happened to them and where they moved to. It doesn't appear that they live in the area now. :confused: Usually someone knows something and you can go from there but they just seemed to have disappeared. G.

• Advertisement

Hey,
    I didnt have the chance to ask about the name for ya, but i will be able to this evening, hopefully ill come up with something., :)

Hi Masada, Thanks. Thought you'd forgotten about me:mad:!!!!!! Just kidding. If you can find out anything I would be grateful. It looks like Moores Cottages were also known as Rutland Cottages. Fingers crossed! See ya.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fthackaberry

I'm just trying to locate the cottages myself as I tracked down ancestors of mine who lived at No 10 in the 1901 census and at No 1 in the 1911 census. The name was Thomas F Byrne. In those days, people rented and moved around quite a bit, so it's very hard to track a family forward in time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

At least one of Moore's (Rutland) cottages is still there - and for sale:
    Link

Edit**
    Oops, zombie thread, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine it could be anywhere between Gardiner street and Buckingham Street - there are lots of unnamed lanes here: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,716350,735271,7,9 Your best bet might be to try the library in Pearse Street to see if they have any more detailed maps. Ideally they would precede 1930/1940 as those areas started to be cleared from then on.

However, from this: http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/b6c10c0357927 there may be another Moore's Cottages off Newfoundland Street in what is now the park in the IFSC: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,716926,734751,7,3
    I'm just trying to locate the cottages myself as I tracked down ancestors of mine who lived at No 10 in the 1901 census and at No 1 in the 1911 census. The name was Thomas F Byrne. In those days, people rented and moved around quite a bit, so it's very hard to track a family forward in time.
    They may not have moved. It might have been an error or the houses had no street numbers! :)

• Advertisement

That's very helpful. Rutland Cottages seems like the right area, because the family moved around that area in the 1870s and 1880s which I can see from Baptismal records. Earlier than 1901, they lived in Temple Court and Cumberland Arch, and I can see both of those on the old Ordnance Survey map.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 afbyrne

My ancestors lived in No. 10 Moore's Cottages! My grandfather was Christopher Byrne, son of Thomas F and Julia Byrne.

Well, what a coincidence that you spotted my message! I've just started researching my family recently and I've found out lots about them. Your great-grandmother's maiden name was Julia Thackaberry (spelt Thackenberry on some of her records). She was the older sister of my grandfather, William Thackaberry. Her parents were Edward Thackaberry and Maria (originally Chambers). When Edward died she re-married a William Kelly. When she died in 1912 she was named Maria Kelly and she was living a few doors away from your grandfather's family at (I think) No 3 or 4 Moore's Cottages.
    Francis Thackaberry

Incidentally, Maria and my grandfather were living with Thomas and Julia and the Byrne family at the time of the 1901 census. My grandfather got married the following year. Do you know when the family left Moore's Cottages?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Don't forget to try the Genealogy forum - lots of help there too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hi Francis,
    Thanks for all the information, I was very excited to find you. I also started researching the family tree recently and found you while googleing for information on Moore's Cottage's. I had copies of the 1901 and 1911 census records and was very interested in finding out more about the Thackerberry line.
    I don't know when the family actually left Moore's Cottages but I know that my father (died in 2005) and the rest of his siblings where all born in the Rutland St/Portland Row area of Dublin and went to Rutland St. School. The family moved to Tolka Road, Ballybough sometime in the 1940's or early 1950's.
    I plan to visit my aunt soon and hopefully she can give me some more information.
    Ann

Hi Ann
    Sorry, I haven't checked in here recently and only spotted your reply tonight. I'm very interested in all of this. My father and his siblings were unaware that their father (William Thackaberry) had a sister living in Dublin. He died in 1946 before I was born, so I didn't know him, but apparently he was a very 'private' person and never talked much about his background. I spent years trying to trace his birth cert but never found it (for a complicated set of reasons) until I finally traced him this year to Moore's Cottages in the 1901 census. His children knew that he had a brother Edward who died young - I recently traced that he died in 1895 aged 26. They also thought that the name Byrne appeared in the family, but didn't quite know how. However, my oldest Aunt, who died in her late 90s about 7 years ago, told me that William used to go for walks in the Ballybough area and thought that he might have come from that area. I wonder did he keep up contact with his sister Julia even though his family didn't know anything about her? I'd love to have any folklore on the Thackaberry connection from your side of the family e.g. when did Julia die, was it known in your family that she had a brother? Let's meet and discuss sometime if you are in Dublin.
    Francis

Since I first messaged on here, I believe I've found out where Moore's Cottages were through some research at Pearse St Library. It ran behind houses on the north side of Gloucester St (now Sean MacDermott St) - roughtly from behind the present swimming pool eastwards to Rutland St. There's no laneway there now, but if you look behind the houses from the Rutland St end, you can see where the line of Cottages must have been. F

Don't forget to try the Genealogy forum - lots of help there too.

Thanks - that's a great Forum - lots of useful info.

Hi Francis,
    It would be great to meet up, I live in north Dublin.
    I saw my aunt but unfortunately she doesn't remember Julia. She gave me some information on some of Julia's children which may be of interest to you (will discuss when we meet).
    I'm trying establish when Julia died - based on the fact that my aunt doesn’t remember her I think that it may have been in the late 1920’s or early to mid 1930’s. I’ll keep working on it, I have an older uncle who may remember her.
    All the best.
    Ann

• Advertisement

Hi Ann
    You mentioned earlier that the family moved to Tolka Road - was it number 101? My e-mail address is <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AoifeMo

My dad was born at 5 Moore Street Cottages. They were demolished. Does anyone have a photograph of the cottages? He would love to have one.

Moore Street Cottages would probably be over the Moore St side of town. Moore's Cottages were off Gloucester (now Sean MacDermott) St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carolmoore007

My paternal great-Grandmother is Julia Tackerberry, married to Thomas F Byrne and they lived at Moore's Cottages, Dublin. Their daughter, Maria Byrne, is my paternal Grandmother.
    I am thinking that Wiliam Tackerberry was Maria's uncle and Christopher and Edward Byrne two of her brother's.
    I have had the same difficulties as others , in that the spelling of the surname, Tackerberry has a number of variations.
    I would be most interested to hear from others reseaching this family history and willing to share what I have managed to reseach to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,735 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You may also find the Genealogy forum to be of help in your research.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carolmoore007

Thank you!!

My paternal great-Grandmother is Julia Tackerberry, married to Thomas F Byrne and they lived at Moore's Cottages, Dublin. Their daughter, Maria Byrne, is my paternal Grandmother.
    I am thinking that Wiliam Tackerberry was Maria's uncle and Christopher and Edward Byrne two of her brother's.
    I have had the same difficulties as others , in that the spelling of the surname, Tackerberry has a number of variations.
    I would be most interested to hear from others reseaching this family history and willing to share what I have managed to reseach to date.

Hi Carol
    Yes, my grandfather William Thackaberry was Maria's uncle. Maria was probably named after Julia's mother, Maria Thackaberry (nee Chambers), who was my great grandmother and your great great grandmother. You'll see from the thread here that I've made contact via this site with another descentant who is your second cousin - do you know her? I'd be very happy to share any research I've done with you.
    Francis <Snip-Please don't post your email address>

Advertisement