Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

petition - cats reclassified from vermin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Done, I hope that it will make a difference, 2012 and cats are still classed as vermin in this country, how backwards can you get!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Surely this would then mean cat owners should have to pay a licence fee... then dragging up an old thread also....... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

garkane wrote: »
    Surely this would then mean cat owners should have to pay a licence fee... then dragging up an old thread also....... :rolleyes:

Like the way all dog owners do?

Signed. I'd have no problem paying a license either, if it meant a better protection system was in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kelly0

Done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Done on the petitionsite, don't have fb.
    Agree would have no problem paying a cat license to see cats get some form of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ive signed it, but unfortunately this isnt going to change the attitudes of many many people to cats in Ireland. I would love to see a properly funded and run trap,neuter and release scheme along with a facility along the lines of a "pound" in each county for lost, abandoned or injured cats.

I wont pay a licence fee though, the same way i never paid one for my dog. The money used to facilitate "dog services" are certainly not being used anywhere near adequately for welfare issues relating to them at the minute and if you saw the balance sheet of one very well known County Council Pound you would be shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Having gotten warnings in the past about this topic ill keep this clean!

I think it would be a good idea but if it was to be introduced things would have to be done first like

1. sorting out all the strays be that by trapping and spaying or getting them rehomed or into a cattery

2. cat owners would have to take full responsibility for what their cats do and keep them confined to their own property

If these things dont go hand in hand i dont see it working because cats are problematic in areas.

just the same as dogs wandering can get owners in trouble or fined it should apply to cats too if a law like this is brought in. Rights and responsibility have to go together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Done, was surprised to see cats classified as vermin I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Auntie Carol

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Id be ok with this if the owners kept control of their cats but they don't, my garden isn't a place for your cats to walk around, there should be fines introduced for this.

If cats are vermin does that mean its ok for me to kill them if they come onto my land?

GarIT wrote: »
    Id be ok with this if the owners kept control of their cats but they don't, my garden isn't a place for your cats to walk around, there should be fines introduced for this.

If cats are vermin does that mean its ok for me to kill them if they come onto my land?
    People with that attitude tried that in the past. Historically it didn't end well. Plague ring a bell? Would you prefer an infestation of rats in the neighbourhood?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Wrong forum to be asking this in.

Short answer to this is yes.

It shouldnt be done to pets and it only really should apply to wild/feral cats even though it does not distinguish between the two..

An infestation of rats, seriously.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

reclassify them as pets and licence them . By law dogs and cats should have collars on them with owners contact details on them , then I'm happy.

garkane wrote: »
    Short answer to this is yes.

It shouldnt be done to pets and it only really should apply to wild/feral cats even though it does not distinguish between the two..

An infestation of rats, seriously.... :rolleyes:
    I don't think this is the right forum for this. If you don't like cats that is fine. Personally I do and I would find anyone who deliberately killed a cat morally bankrupt. Particularly the spurious grounds that it walked through their garden. People become known as the neighbourhood psycho for less. Yes rat infestations are not uncommon.

• Advertisement

I don't think this is the right forum for this. If you don't like cats that is fine. Personally I do and I would find anyone who deliberately killed a cat morally bankrupt. Particularly the spurious grounds that it walked through their garden. People become known as the neighbourhood psycho for less. Yes rat infestations are not uncommon.

Do you let your cat roam freely to do what it wants when it wants

WIZE wrote: »
    Do you let your cat roam freely to do what it wants when it wants
    I'm a responsible pet owner who looks after my animals and takes responsibility for them. However, I don't believe that people should take it upon themselves to kill cats because they are outdoors. To be entirely honest I don't want to have this discussion with you. The thread was posted to try to help cats. Hijacking it to justify killing cats is just sick and wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

feral cats are (rightly) classified as vermin and can be dangerous. Domestic cats are not classified as vermin.

Sorry Angry Kitten but nobody here on this thread has said anything that justified killing cats..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

mathepac wrote: »
    feral cats are (rightly) classified as vermin and can be dangerous. Domestic cats are not classified as vermin.

They are abandoned pets, or the offspring of abandoned pets, and are in need of help. They are not dangerous:mad:

I don't want to kill any animals, it was just a question in relation to them being classed as vermin. The two points I meant to make seperately probably got mixed into one, I was asking if someone could technically, not saying I plan on it. I do feel they should be protected, but I also feel people should be protected for them. Cat's should be licenced like dogs, and people should be allowe catch them and fine the owner for the animal being on their land. If you want a cat fine, but (A) keep it in a cage, (B) Keep it in your house, (C) put it on a leash and tie it to a post or something or (D) Build super high walls so it cant get out of your garden and into mine.

I'm a responsible pet owner who looks after my animals and takes responsibility for them. However, I don't believe that people should take it upon themselves to kill cats because they are outdoors. To be entirely honest I don't want to have this discussion with you. The thread was posted to try to help cats. Hijacking it to justify killing cats is just sick and wrong.

I like cats :) but I'm a dog owner . I don't believe in killing any animals.

My Question is as a responsible owner do you keep your cat indoors or let it roam ?

WIZE wrote: »
    I like cats :) but I'm a dog owner . I don't believe in killing any animals.

My Question is as a responsible owner do you keep your cat indoors or let it roam ?
    I think I answered that WIZE. The problem is that people don't understand cats and make ill informed assumptions such as 'tie them to a post' or 'keep them in a cage'. I really don't understand why people get so het up about a cat passing through their garden. I mean really? I wish I had such trivial issues to occupy my time. I'm not going to comment any further on this thread as I think it would be best to keep it to what it was intended to be, a means of helping vulnerable cats. Enough said.

I think I answered that WIZE. The problem is that people don't understand cats and make ill informed assumptions such as 'tie them to a post' or 'keep them in a cage'. I really don't understand why people get so het up about a cat passing through their garden. I mean really? I wish I had such trivial issues to occupy my time. I'm not going to comment any further on this thread as I think it would be best to keep it to what it was intended to be, a means of helping vulnerable cats. Enough said.

I guess this is answering the question that you let your cat roam .

I will start my own thread now . Feel free to take part in a debate

• Advertisement

If i paid for the garden and I own the garden who do you think you are that you can decide its ok for your cat to be in my garden.

Advertisement