Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parrot as a pet?

Options
  • 15-02-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey,

recently my dog of 15 years passed away,

its been a few months since he died and now im thinking of getting another pet.

i've been thinking about getting a parrot and im just wondering if anyone has any experience with parrots as pets?

which breed are the best as pets etc?

or could anyone recommend any other animal that are great pets?

nothing to extreme,bearing in mind i have slightly strict parents. they dont want boa constrictors roaming around the house.

thanks for any help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

You should try a cheaper type of bird such as parakeets. They're pretty much miniture parrots( I acctually think that they are classed as parrots) A budgie would be a good starter for you. You can tame a budgie from a pet shop in about two weeks easily if you spend maybe 40 minutes a day working with him and offering him bribes to perch on your finger :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,834 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A Parrot may end up living longer than your parents. During this time it will make a lot of noise & need a huge amount of attention. It will need a big cage & plenty of out of cage time.

So it is a huge commitment. I know a Macaw breeder who will only sell to someone after they have signed a legal contract to ensure the well being of the bird if or when they are no longer able to look after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Discodog wrote: »
    A Parrot may end up living longer than your parents. During this time it will make a lot of noise & need a huge amount of attention. It will need a big cage & plenty of out of cage time.

So it is a huge commitment. I know a Macaw breeder who will only sell to someone after they have signed a legal contract to ensure the well being of the bird if or when they are no longer able to look after it.
    Or even outlive the OP pending on the make of Parrot. :p

Macaws 50 - 100 +
    Eclectus 65 - 85
    Amazons 50 - 70 +
    Cockatoos 40 - 60 +
    African Grays 50 - 60 +
    Conure 12 - 30
    Lories and Lorikeets 13 - 25
    Caique 30
    Senegal 50 years
    Cockatiel 12 to 20
    Parakeets 7 to 18 years
    Lovebirds average 15 to 25
    Canaries average 10 to 15 years
    Finches average 5 to 10

http://www.yourparrotcage.com/Bird%20Care/Birds%20Average%20Life%20Span.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you can give us an idea of how much time every day you would have for the bird, what your budget is when it comes to cage pricing, if you have an avian vet in your area. What kind of noise level you can put up with.

If you can answer these it will be easier to recommend a type of bird.

One thing I would say is do not buy any bird from a pet shop check out parrots.ie for more info and be careful where you buy from.

Once you have made a decision on what type of bird you want then it'll be easier to give you more tips on their care etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Be very aware that parrots can be VERY VERY VERY loud.

A relation had 2 and the noise was not fun at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

We have a Macaw....Dirty Harry!!! And he's dirrrty haha not aloud around children ;) BUt hes a great companion! We love him to bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Hey,

recently my dog of 15 years passed away,

its been a few months since he died and now im thinking of getting another pet.

i've been thinking about getting a parrot and im just wondering if anyone has any experience with parrots as pets?

which breed are the best as pets etc?

or could anyone recommend any other animal that are great pets?

nothing to extreme,bearing in mind i have slightly strict parents. they dont want boa constrictors roaming around the house.

thanks for any help!

Hi Markymark,

I have a cockatiel about four years now.Before him I've kep't canaries and budgies.His lifespan can be up to 20 yrs.
    They love company and attention and do best where you and your family spend most of your time.He can be noisy and he loves noise going on around him like the TV ,hoover and even people speaking on the phone.
    A cage for a cockatiel has to be big enough for him to spread his wings , so ideally the bigger the cage the better.
    Needless to say fresh water and food everyday and toys in his cage too.
    A hand reared tame 'tiel costs about 150 euro and a cage bred one is about 65 euros.
    A cage will set you back about 150 euros.
    Read up about them first and ask around a bit more about them.
    They are good company and are friendly cheeky little characters too.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

We had two lovebirds previously that died a couple of years ago from old age. we had them about 15-20 years in total.

i understand the life span of a parrot is huge.

which is probably another reason why i would want one. im just 21 so i would have him/her for the rest of my life perhaps.

i was looking at some macaws and african greys.

i think some macaws would be perhaps too big.
    i would have a lot of time for the bird.
    it would stay in my room with me i imagine (pretty big room) and im never out of it mostly. i and my parents would have no problem with him roaming around the room/house.

the pricing isnt a major issue. its not no strings attached but enough to afford a bird and large cage.

the noise wouldnt be a major issue either (considering they put up with my awful guitar playing throughout :) )

there is a vet literally just 5 minutes down the road from me. im not sure if its an avian vet. i will check that out.

could anyone recommend which to buy or where i could go to view some?

i went to a pet shop recently and the quoted price for an african grey and a smallish cage was over 1600.

thanks for the help guys

Advertisement