Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of doing computer and electronic engineering.

Options
  • 06-02-2012 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

As the title says, i'm thinking of doing electronic and computer engineering. Is there anybody here that has/ is doing degrees that relate to this and could tell me their experiences?

Many thanks!

Comments

I did it in college, NUIG to be exact, I thoroughly enjoyed it and am now doing a postgrad in the area.

It's a really fun course if you enjoy messing around with programming, circuits and little electronic systems that do cool stuff. It's basically about solving problems by building things, you get an assignment to make a system that does X and you come up with a way to do it. It's a lot of fun.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

I did it in college, NUIG to be exact, I thoroughly enjoyed it and am now doing a postgrad in the area.

It's a really fun course if you enjoy messing around with programming, circuits and little electronic systems that do cool stuff. It's basically about solving problems by building things, you get an assignment to make a system that does X and you come up with a way to do it. It's a lot of fun.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about it.

Firstly thanks for the response! Did you do a common entry year for engineering? Or did you do the four years or so entirely in the area of electronic and computer engineering?

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Firstly thanks for the response! Did you do a common entry year for engineering? Or did you do the four years or so entirely in the area of electronic and computer engineering?

Ah, good question. I did Undenominated in first year and I'd definitely recommend it. Much of 1st Engineering is common to all disciplines so you're not missing out on anything by doing it, and it means that you get to try out each type and make an informed decision as to which path to go down. You're free to basically have another year to make up your mind about which path to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 camsterb

I'm also very interested in studying this. Is it very difficult? I did two years of a 4 year physics degree and left because it didn't really interest me, but the applications of computer engineering sound more enticing. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

camsterb wrote: »
    Is it very difficult?

Define difficult.

• Advertisement

stuohy1 wrote: »
    Eoin247 wrote: »

Ah, good question. I did Undenominated in first year and I'd definitely recommend it. Much of 1st Engineering is common to all disciplines so you're not missing out on anything by doing it, and it means that you get to try out each type and make an informed decision as to which path to go down. You're free to basically have another year to make up your mind about which path to go down.

Ah ok thanks. I have another question :-), apart from maths, is it neccesary to have other subjects like physics for leaving cert? Im doing physics myself but my friend w who is also interested in engineering was wondering about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Hi, first year in electrical and electronics engineering UCC here. In relation to the other subjects, the leaving cert subjects that would be most beneficial to you (if you went to UCC) would be chemistry, physics and applied maths :) The physics we are doing in 1st term was more mechanics and classical mechanics, in 2nd term in physics is more electrical based, electrical/magnetic fields, faradays and lenz' law and all such things, just more and more in depth with more learning :P

Chemistry is (apparently) not that hard but for someone who never did it, its not too easy :P

Applied maths is very close to our mechanics course, a bit more into theory of everything but the questions dont get too much harder than Leaving Cert, in my opinion that is!

magicianz wrote: »
    Hi, first year in electrical and electronics engineering UCC here. In relation to the other subjects, the leaving cert subjects that would be most beneficial to you (if you went to UCC) would be chemistry, physics and applied maths :) The physics we are doing in 1st term was more mechanics and classical mechanics, in 2nd term in physics is more electrical based, electrical/magnetic fields, faradays and lenz' law and all such things, just more and more in depth with more learning :P

Chemistry is (apparently) not that hard but for someone who never did it, its not too easy :P

Applied maths is very close to our mechanics course, a bit more into theory of everything but the questions dont get too much harder than Leaving Cert, in my opinion that is!

Thanks! Is chemistry a big part of the course? I'm currently doing applied maths and physics myself, so i wouldn't have much knowledge of chemistry after JC standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Sorry, just remembered I posted here :P We have 2 modules in first year that are chemistry based, chemistry and engineering materials. As far as I can tell, everything so far is just on bonding and materials reactions with forces/temperature/stress/strain/etc.

My last experience before this year was JC chemistry as well so you shouldn't really have much trouble :P Sure you only have to get 40% for the year and and 20% of the total marks are from lab work, so to pass the year you generally dont need to worry about it much :)

Advertisement