Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man who knocked down burglar in court

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Icepick wrote: »
    Why is this country so scumbag-friendly?

Hi Icepick, I will let you in on a little secret. We the good folk of this nation elect in people who wish to govern us.

So these same people need to introduce laws so that society behaves in a certain way.

In order to do this these elected government members have to seek legal advice and assistance in order to introduce new laws.

The people which this legal advice is received from are legal professionals. This is then where it becomes grey. These legal people never seem able to propose straight forward punishments/ detterents for various crimes.

I am of the belief the reason this happens is quite simply, these guys duty is to keep the solicitors, barristers and judges in this little land of ours busy.

Therefore who did it benefit today other than that scum bag?

The solicitors, barristers and judge thats who. Being honest, I for one have no confidence whatsoever in the judicial system in this country.

If it was me diving that car, I would have made sure that this world was minus one scum bag.

I mean ok, I would have been arrested and all that, brought to court and sent to jail, but as this would have been a murder case then the sentence would not be too long as our legal friends would have a vested interest in me serving a short sentence.
    Why,I am no good to them in prison, I am better off on the streets where I could re-offend then they just might have to prosecute / defend me again in a high court and think of all that money

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

You can't just plough someone over in a car ffs, even if the little fcuker deserved it. We live in a land of laws and they apply to everyone

What would you think if the man in the car accidentally hit a family member of yours when driving like a lunatic trying to hit the robber?

Keep your cool or you'll do something that will land yourself in the sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

hondasam wrote: »
    You cannot take the law into your own hands and expect to get away with it.

The witness has all ready received €175,000 in damages, nice little earner for breaking into some ones home.

It's probably more profitable to break in to the house and sit on the couch till they catch you and kick the **** out of you than actually stealing anything.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Gonzor wrote: »
    Are you seriously trying to say that McCaugheys house is in the middle of a housing estate... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Let me guess, RTE told ya that too. :rolleyes:

It's in the OP, I read the address from there
    Mount Avenue in the town

I don't know Louth, if RTÉ give an address that's all I can go on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

If i was woken up by an intruder in my house and my kids were there I really don't think I would have the mind presence or time to rationalise my reaction. And I would imagine that I would feel threatened in my home forever after. Can't imagine I would go to sleep feeling safe again. I think the driver should have a case against the thief for compensation on behalf of himself and his family.At least we know he has €175000 that he could pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why is this country so scumbag-friendly?
    The law is that you don't knock someone down twice with your car, the robber took advantage of that. It's nothing to do with this country being scumbag-friendly, it's just the law. The guy's anger is completely understandable and he was right to go after him - fair play on that score. But running him over with his car twice - too much to get away with. I'd find it worrying if the state said "The guy was robbing him, let him off". It was a disproportionate reaction, it wasn't even self defence.
    The mitigating circumstances should be taken into account but I don't see anything wrong with the driver being in court. Hopefully the lowlife robber won't try that sh1t again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Would he have actually gotten the money though? I know it's America and totally different, but OJ has never paid a cent towards the case he lost for 25 million or whatever. Would it be the same here? Where it's essentially just a token gesture? Where would he have gotten that kind of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Dudess wrote: »
    The law is that you don't knock someone down twice with your car, the robber took advantage of that. It's nothing to do with this country being scumbag-friendly, it's just the law. The guy's anger is completely understandable and he was right to go after him - fair play on that score. But running him over with his car twice - too much to get away with. I'd find it worrying if the state said "The guy was robbing him, let him off". It was a disproportionate reaction, it wasn't even self defence.
    The mitigating circumstances should be taken into account but I don't see anything wrong with the driver being in court. Hopefully the lowlife robber won't try that sh1t again.

I dont think I'd have a problem with the man being in court if the burglar hadnt been given a suspended sentence despite previous convictions and if he hadnt received €175,000 in compensation. Why wouldnt the burglar "try that **** again" given how leniently he was treated?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

token101 wrote: »
    Would he have actually gotten the money though? I know it's America and totally different, but OJ has never paid a cent towards the case he lost for 25 million or whatever. Would it be the same here? Where it's essentially just a token gesture? Where would he have gotten that kind of money?

I believe he claimed of his car insurance.

hollypink wrote: »

I dont think I'd have a problem with the man being in court if the burglar hadnt been given a suspended sentence despite previous convictions and if he hadnt received €175,000 in compensation. Why wouldnt the burglar "try that **** again" given how leniently he was treated?
    Because he got his legs broke! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Right yeah, because only in Ireland would somebody be done for running a person over, twice.

A yes, of course you know exactly what you would do, if you found a burglar rooting around in your kids rooms, or where ever, in your home.

Bring him to the kitchen for a cup of tea perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

So him getting his legs broken is in fact a good thing, because it acts as a deterrent when the legal system doesnt?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Right yeah, because only in Ireland would somebody be done for running a person over, twice.

A yes, of course you know exactly what you would do, if you found a burglar rooting around in your kids rooms, or where ever, in your home.

Obviously not? Why suggest something so extreme in the other direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

so you would just go get ur keys, get in your car and chase after him, instead of staying with your family who would be scared, as there could be more than one guy?

hollypink wrote: »

So him getting his legs broken is in fact a good thing, because it acts as a deterrent when the legal system doesnt?
    You could say that but this thread is about the guy being in court as if it's a grave injustice. It's doubtful the statute books say "A person may inflict disproportionate grievous bodily harm not in self defence". Hope the circumstances will be strongly taken into account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I daresay that if most parents here discovered that a stranger had been in theirs and possibly their kids' bedroom, then they might not be thinking straight either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

175k for mangling the prick that broke into my house with kids in it. Money very well spent!

McCaughey is extremely wealthy so I'm sure he feels the same if he can avoid any jail time.

I'd often be in Coxes and I always had a chuckle when I seen McCromack hobbling around in crutches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

exaisle wrote: »
    I daresay that if most parents here discovered that a stranger had been in theirs and possibly their kids' bedroom, then they might not be thinking straight either...

I agree but I would not go out, get in my car, drive around looking for him and run him down breaking both his legs.
    He could have killed him and then himself and his family would suffer more, who would look after his children then.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    so you would just go get ur keys, get in your car and chase after him, instead of staying with your family who would be scared, as there could be more than one guy?

Probably not, and never said i would, but in fact, i dont know what i would do in any given situation. But its very easy to calmly say what you or others will or wont do while on a keyboard, until you are confronted with the horrific reality of someone invading your home.

exaisle wrote: »
    Of course, but there's a limit to what you can get away with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

If it had been me i would have made sure he was living like a vegetable for the rest of his life when i got out of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well he was out and about a few months after the incident. Maybe he's a fast healer.
    I remember another lovely guy from around here had his two knees done in and would never walk again. Funnily enough he was up and about a coupla weeks after his claim was settled.
    Heh, it's been 3 and a half years since his legs were broke and a while since he got his money, I'll give you a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

175k for mangling the prick that broke into my house with kids in it. Money very well spent!

McCaughey is extremely wealthy so I'm sure he feels the same if he can avoid any jail time.

I'd often be in Coxes and I always had a chuckle when I seen McCromack hobbling around in crutches.

I don't get why people always think because kids are involved the crime is worse or more sympathy is justified.
    Does it make a difference whether there were kids there or not?

Obviously not? Why suggest something so extreme in the other direction?

Well because posters here seem to think they will be thinking calmly, and clearly, while a person is inside their house. Obviously im not literaly saying to offer them a cup of tea. Many might fear for their safety, or life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Show Time wrote: »
    If it had been me i would have made sure he was living like a vegetable for the rest of his life when i got out of the car.

and what happens if it your fit of rage, you realise that it was the wrong person, what do you then do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

What is it that you people dont understand. It wasnt like this happened right outside McCaughys house by a few feet or a few yards that this happened.

McCaughey chased him into a housing estate, then when the guy jumped off the wall, McCaughey was sitting on the other side in his car waiting, and crashed into him and crushed him between the car and the wall.

Then he reversed the car and drove into him a second time.

That has nothing to do with "defending kids", "protecting your home" etc... In my eyes, thats someone taking the law into their own hands.

And on top of that, his injuries weren't just as simple as two broken legs. As far as I am aware (open to correction) hes 'disabled' for life now over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I believe he claimed of his car insurance.

How? Sure that wasn't an accident? I don't see how he could do that tbh. I am not saying you're wrong, just curious as to how that could have come about.

Ace2007 wrote: »

Probably not, and never said i would, but in fact, i dont know what i would do in any given situation. But its very easy to calmly say what you or others will or wont do while on a keyboard, until you are confronted with the horrific reality of someone invading your home.
    It doesn't mean people looking at it objectively can't say the guy went too far. I don't think URL said he knows what he'd do in the situation or that he'd be calm.
    A guy getting away scot-free with knocking down a robber twice is like something in Iran tbf. There has to be a limit in a civil society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

hondasam wrote: »
    Does it make a difference whether there were kids there or not?

yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Took off after the burglar with a car.
    Runs him down twice, twice?
    Compo given of €175,000
    Driver and home owner in court.

Didn't his car have a reverse gear?
    Is this a new breed of super burglars?

Advertisement