Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The League (US sitcom)

• 18-01-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody watch the US sitcom "The League". Its based around a bunch of guys (and one women) who play in a Fantasy football League.

Funny show. My wife hates it as the references to FF are useless to her.

If anyone has US netflix, the first 3 seasons are available there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

One of the greatest comedies ever. Paco is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

taco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Great show, like a grown ups version of the Inbetweeners.

Dodge wrote: »
    taco?

Yup for some reason I wrote Paco no idea why though. Whoever writes his lines deserves an oscar:
    Taco: I was just having sex with some girl in a Prius. I love having sex in Priuses, 'cause you're not only having sex, you're saving the environment too.
    It's the point during the sexual experience when a man is about to orgasm, and he makes likes someone put a spoonful of vinegar up to his nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah really good show. Very easy watching and episodes are short so you can fly through them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote a lot of his stuff himself. I'd say he defo wrote that song. Hes a really good musician. You should check out his stuff on youtube. Its some funny ****.

The producers of it were on the ESPN fantasy focus podcst last month, they said that a fair bit of it is improvised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

absolutely brilliant show, although i have lately been having nightmares about Bobbuman.....

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

brilliant show

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Finished watching the West Wing there and said I wouldn't watch another series for ages (it took me 5 months to watch it). Will have to break that promise and give this a look at.

• Advertisement

Finished watching the West Wing there and said I wouldn't watch another series for ages (it took me 5 months to watch it). Will have to break that promise and give this a look at.

You'll fly through the series. I watched the first two seasons last week when i was little under the weather. Only took a few hours, episodes are only 20mins long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Watched the first 4 episodes last night. It's awesome, have Season 2 at the ready now too.

Finished all three season.

Taco makes it, such a brilliant character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Absolutely love this show, cracks me up!

I reckon I'll be the only one to say this but I didn't like it. I watched the first 2/3 episodes and stopped. Everything seemed so fake.

I liked the fantasy football aspect of it but the humour was questionable I think. That Taco chap wasn't really funny. He just seemed like a retard.

Maybe I was expecting too much on the back of what was said in this thread but it really isn't one of the greatest comedies ever in my opinion. In comparison to something like OFAH it hasn't a hope.

it really isn't one of the greatest comedies ever in my opinion

Jesus, I'd never attempt to say that. I think its good though, but like most comedies it has its patchy moments.

The charachters develop over the series and they're pretty good at bringing back regular 'in-jokes' for the loyal viewer.

Jesus, I'd never attempt to say that. I think its good though, but like most comedies it has its patchy moments.

The charachters develop over the series and they're pretty good at bringing back regular 'in-jokes' for the loyal viewer.

Well someone else said it.
    One of the greatest comedies ever. Paco is a legend.

I'll give it a shot again in a while but I doubt that I'll warm to it. As you said comedies are seriously hit and miss.

Well someone else said it.

I'll give it a shot again in a while but I doubt that I'll warm to it. As you said comedies are seriously hit and miss.

Yes I said it and Dodge is most likely taking a shot at me for saying it like he did when he corrected my typo for Taco. For me TV and Movies and even books are down to personal choice and for me this would be in my top 10 comedies of all time. I dont by into the society norm of because others dont agree that its not funny that I should too. I love a wide range of comedies and if you saw my top 10 there would be some very obvious ones to some very odd ones. Same as my top 10 movies list or book list. Unlike Sports the "best" of something isnt defined by merit and achievement but more down to the personal choice of the reader or viewer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's good, very good
    Episodes are only twenty minutes so you'd race through the seasons very quickly

No knowledge of football is even required to get the jokes though it helps.

It's great they get cameos, they insulted Antonio Gates in Season One and made him angry.
    And messed around Josh Cribbs in Season Two.

Well recommended

I think it was mentioned already but they got the writers and producers on the Rich Eisen podcast so if you download that you'll find it

Yes I said it and Dodge is most likely taking a shot at me for saying it like he did when he corrected my typo for Taco.

paranoia?

All I did was say that even though I started the thread, I didn't believe it was one of the best ever. had nothing to do with your opinion

And did you really think me correcting you on the paco/taco thing was 'having a pop'? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

paranoia?

All I did was say that even though I started the thread, I didn't believe it was one of the best ever. had nothing to do with your opinion

And did you really think me correcting you on the paco/taco thing was 'having a pop'? :rolleyes:

Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

kev_s88 wrote: »
    absolutely brilliant show, although i have lately been having nightmares about Bobbuman.....

Don't make me get my equipmunk.

Love this show beyond belief, so funny with fantastic one liners. And can we agree, Jenny? Yes? Thanks.

Yes.

PHrBA00aiaRdtA_1_m.jpg

And can we agree, Jenny? Yes? Thanks.

Is there even a question? :pac:

Just in case people missed it (and I know I did), The League was back on screen last Thursday. 2nd episode is tomorrow night

Available from your usual download providers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Delighted a new season was made, liek some of the above this was one of the best comedies ive seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

jester1980 wrote: »
    Delighted a new season was made, liek some of the above this was one of the best comedies ive seen in a long time.

Yeah watched the new episode last night there, wasn't amazed by it tbh, if it doesn't pick up a lot I can see this being it's final season. Also does anyone know how much, if any, involvement the NFL has with it? Seems to me like sometimes they nearly make the thing

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Yeah watched the new episode last night there, wasn't amazed by it tbh, if it doesn't pick up a lot I can see this being it's final season. Also does anyone know how much, if any, involvement the NFL has with it? Seems to me like sometimes they nearly make the thing

The NFL has absolutely nothing to do with the show. The two creators were on Rich Eisen before the premiere and were talking about how they try to make the fonts used as similar as possible without breaking the law. All the players that make appearances are gotten through agents.

Yeah, the show is on the FX network so they can use the Fox graphics etc

• Advertisement

Haven't watched a second of this season so far. Now to watch them all in one go :D

Advertisement