Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customer Service in Golf retailers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I've obviously been shopping in the wrong places over the years. I neither expect nor recorbe a discount.

Re the earlier comment that you should buy from a pro - good for you. Me, i will ALWAYS get it cheaper online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

colmjh wrote: »
    it was not expected but it is certainly customary when buying anything of value (€100+) in any golf shop as anyone will tell you.

I wonder why this is? I agree with you that it is almost tradition if you will, that a customer is thrown a sleeve of balls, pitchfork, maybe a hat for example, as a token of gratitude for their custom.

What I don't understand, is why is this customary in the golf retail industry, when this practice is absent from the vast majority of other high value retail sectors? I have never received any kind of a gratuity when buying a laptop, Apple device, TV, music equipment etc. Is it simply due to the personal nature of the typical golf transaction, or is it something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

ImDave wrote: »
    I wonder why this is? I agree with you that it is almost tradition if you will, that a customer is thrown a sleeve of balls, pitchfork, maybe a hat for example, as a token of gratitude for their custom.

What I don't understand, is why is this customary in the golf retail industry, when this practice is absent from the vast majority of other high value retail sectors? I have never received any kind of a gratuity when buying a laptop, Apple device, TV, music equipment etc. Is it simply due to the personal nature of the typical golf transaction, or is it something else?

Most places will have this "discount" built into their prices. It makes the customer feel they've gotten a deal and in reality costs the retailer nothing. Of course you have to ask, & IMO you'd be foolish not to. However, to each his own.

Advertisement