Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ship removes US bridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

What a plank. It doesn't even look as if it would have gone under the highest point never mind the the point he actually went for.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

well theres your problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

...and that bridge does not look very well maintained to me either - of course, the US (and now Canada it seems) has a great history of collapsing road bridges as well as the unscheduled bridge demolitions by ships.

Great way to manage infrastructure! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Of course, if the political nature of NASA funding didn't require space industry construction to be liberally sprinkled into every square mile with a vote in it, maybe ships wouldn't have to be bringing rocket parts down rivers. (Or they could at least use C-5s or a Beluga or something instead of cheaping out with a cargo ship)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Given that they probably been shipping parts on that route for years I would imagine that vessel has passed under the bridge many times. It definetly looks like they didn't take the right navigation channel. Given that the Bridge is in Kentucky it's definitely not tidal stretch. So unless the river is at a high level due to winter I'm not sure if there would have been an incident if they had selected the right span to go under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

and that bridge does not look very well maintained to me either

As noted in the newspaper article linked, preparatory has already started for a replacement bridge.

The ship took the wrong channel. But even a layman can see the bridge is higher in the middle, so why did it do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

She is the pronoun to use... ;)

The article linked mentions she went aground on a sandbar before, so the main channel may have shifted away from the highest point of the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

She is the pronoun to use...

So I should have said why did she do that?
    Who on earth knows why "she"s do anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

She is the pronoun to use... ;)

The article linked mentions she went aground on a sandbar before, so the main channel may have shifted away from the highest point of the bridge.

some ships may be "feminine", but that ugly great slab-sided thing is at best "female"....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

As bugs bunny would say, "What a Maroon" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well, the captain now has two bridges on his ship! :pac:

Advertisement