Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek's Creepiest Scenes

• 25-01-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

TNG especially has some masterfully executed examples of these ominous thrillers, enhanced in no small part by the eerie scores in the background they often used so well.

I'll start the ball rolling with my favourite scene from one of my favourite TNG eps - The abduction room collective reconstruction from Schisms.

It's still chilling and electric to watch today. Riker actually looks genuinely haunted as they rebuild that room.

uHh9w.jpg

The "clicking" is the cherry on the cake.

qaSK9.jpg

(I remember bricking it trying to sleep the night after seeing that as a kid) That was also around the time I decided to give the barbers a skip for a while :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Yeah, Schisms is creepy indeed. One of the freakyist for me was Night Terrors, where the Enterprise finds the USS Brattain with all the crew dead except for one guy.
    Brattain_personnel.jpg
    The lack of sleep caused by the rift / aliens trying to communicate gives the crew some crazy hallucinations, Crusher doing the autopsies and the bodies are all sitting up, the noise of bending metal on the empty ship etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

The Gnome wrote: »
    Yeah, Schisms is creepy indeed. One of the freakyist for me was Night Terrors, where the Enterprise finds the USS Brattain with all the crew dead except for one guy.
    Brattain_personnel.jpg
    The lack of sleep caused by the rift / aliens trying to communicate gives the crew some crazy hallucinations, Crusher doing the autopsies and the bodies are all sitting up, the noise of bending metal on the empty ship etc

Oh frick yes, that was one creepy ass scene >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The whole wesley traveller "friendship."

Also this freaked me out when I was a kid in addition to the larva eating scene

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I am...Locutus of Borg. Resistance...is futile. Your life, as it has been...is over. From this time forward...you will service...us

Was scary when I was younger :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kurn

The whole wesley traveller "friendship."

Also this freaked me out when I was a kid in addition to the larva eating scene

yes this has to be the moment for me, freaked the hell out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That slime monster that killed Yar and those dream scenes Troi has where she flying through the cloud vortex used to freak me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Or that one with where Garak, O'Brien, Nog and a bunch of officers you have never seen before go to Empok Nor and there's Cardassians assassains there and Garak goes mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

+1 to Schisms, what an episode !!!!

so creepy, an instant classic !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Possibly Frakes' best episode - a truly great performance: Frame of Mind
    Another feather in the cap of TNG's impressive Season 6.

The scene where he gets trapped in the cell while preforming on stage is outstanding - claustrophobia, panic, helplessness and paranoia all at once.

Mr. Frakes, I salute you for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Goldstein wrote: »
    Possibly Frakes' best episode - a truly great performance: Frame of Mind
    Another feather in the cap of TNG's impressive Season 6.

The scene where he gets trapped in the cell while preforming on stage is outstanding - claustrophobia, panic, helplessness and paranoia all at once.

Mr. Frakes, I salute you for this one.

I remember being freaked out by that 17 years ago. Its evocative of a dream you cant escape.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not many compare to Schisms, it terrified me as a kid. The morgue scene from night terrors equally terrified me.

Can't remember the episode name, but it's where Geordi's old buds turn into electric blue looking aliens on a planet. The holodeck investigation shows a dark form casting a shadow - disturbing as a kid I tell thee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

The first 5 minutes of Waking Moments

Another dream-related one. There's something unsettling about the way that alien dude stares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Yeah he's pretty creepy in the turbolift with Tuvok but then pretty hilarious popping up in front of Toms shuttle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The Gnome wrote: »
    Yeah he's pretty creepy in the turbolift with Tuvok but then pretty hilarious popping up in front of Toms shuttle.

Yeah that bit in front of the shuttle is so silly. He looks like a cardboard cutout being pushed up. Kind of ruins it, especially as he only had to be sitting next to Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Riker_wearing_the_skin_of_evil.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Tremelo wrote: »
    Riker_wearing_the_skin_of_evil.jpg

It's a pity the monster didn't keep him....or he didn't drown. Looking like he's 'haunted' (per OP) is about all he was capable off!!

The morgue scene was by far most frightening, unsurpassed in Trek history!! Eyes in the dark...one moon circles....remember? :eek: Schisms best atmospheric ep ever!

But...remember Troy becomes Romulan, and wakes up on a Warbird? Remember her transformation at the end? That was cool...feeling of being trapped aboard...yet so close. Made me all panicky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Jar Jar Binks...wait! wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Charlie removing the yeoman's face in
    CHARLIE X...

"No laughing!!!" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

"It's a cellular peptide cake"

That episode from TNG was creepy when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

"It's a cellular peptide cake"

That episode from TNG was creepy when I was a kid.

It still gives me the willys now :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

"It wasn't me, Worf! ... It wasn't me!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I'm going to go with this Picard scene :p

That did have a certain eeriness though in the episode. Great ep that, closer & closer to the binary pulsars & the crew tension mounting all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

That was a LOLorific scene. The eerie music on Riker when he knew it was not Picard through him signing such a happy tune was a bit out of place I thought.

That was a LOLorific scene. The eerie music on Riker when he knew it was not Picard through him signing such a happy tune was a bit out of place I thought.

the music is as at odds with that as Picard's actions are with his general persona, so I think it goes well TBH

the music is as at odds with that as Picard's actions are with his general persona, so I think it goes well TBH

Agreed, as I mentioned above it did make that scene somewhat eerie.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Agreed, as I mentioned above it did make that scene somewhat eerie.

Exactly.
    Outwardly, to the crew, the captain is morale boosting and team building but his officers know that somethig is off and the viewer knows that something is off so the music reflects this against a back drop of a jovial and singing Ten-Forward.

I actually really like this episode, surprisingly more when viewing the events on the ship Vs the actual Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

In a kind of similar vein, remember that episode where Troi is getting the lifeforce getting sucked out of her by that diplomat? Troi is really out of character here too, and that makes the whole scene kind of creepy. Not only is she being a total bitch, she starts propositioning random members of the crew.

In a kind of similar vein, remember that episode where Troi is getting the lifeforce getting sucked out of her by that diplomat? Troi is really out of character here too, and that makes the whole scene kind of creepy. Not only is she being a total bitch, she starts propositioning random members of the crew.

Thats the magic of TNG, we knew the characters so intimately that when they were out of sorts it really stood out. Take Travis Mayweather for example, scenes like that just wouldn't work as we know little or nothing about the character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

These three deaths gave me the creeps!

Van_Mayter_dead-thumb-594x453.jpg

Felt terrible sorry for poor Van Mayter. Horrible way to go.

Sonak_dead.jpg

Another nasty death from TMP

Advertisement