Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

negative thing about adverts section

Options
  • 24-01-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, I think it's pretty crap and bad and sucks that we can't edit the main thread post, I mean what if someone who posted he's looking for something specific then he decides he might want to look for another extra thing, so he posts it as comment, then people who see thread open it and view main post, see that there is nothing interesting and leave it.
    For example:

I post that I am trading mp5k for l96 sniper, nothing else! not interested in anything else.
    Then few days later I decide that I am interested in selling mp5k as well as trading, can't edit, ok I post it as comment.
    Someone who sees that opens thread looks at main post sees okay, I don't have l96, bye. even though I posted that I am selling it as well.

And if I make another thread that's breaking that rule, don't know specific name for it - multi thread or whatever.
    So is there any work around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Yes there is, and a very simple one at that. Actually there are two options:
    - PM a moderator with the changes to your thread, and ask them to edit your OP
    - PM a moderator and request the thread be locked, in favour of setting up a more up-to-date thread.

The idea of not being able to edit the OP can be frustrating, but it does stop confusion. I have seen sales fall through due to a seller replying to someone in their OP, and the buyer not seeing the reply, and purchasing the item elsewhere due to no reply/answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

Afaik the OP can be edited up to 48 hours after it's posted, editing the OP after that time will cause confusion so best to take the options suggested by Inari after that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Best option there is actually to report your own post, that way all the mods get notified. We're not always all online so sending a pm can be hit & miss.

The other thing to consider is that anyone who is following your thread will only generally read new unread posts and not look at post#1 unless they have a reason to, so, the above coupled with an update post on-thread would cover all bases. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Steve wrote: »
    Best option there is actually to report your own post, that way all the mods get notified. We're not always all online so sending a pm can be hit & miss.

The other thing to consider is that anyone who is following your thread will only generally read new unread posts and not look at post#1 unless they have a reason to, so, the above coupled with an update post on-thread would cover all bases. :)

Yeah I noticed problem with PM'ing, like 5 mods and I start thinking uhh.. who's the one that will more likely be online. Somehow I always misguess and end up waiting for 24 hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭mack1984

I dont think you should be able to edit your post after 15 minutes, for example, someone lists a gun for sale as fully functional, an hour later someone buys the gun, seller then goes back and edits thread to put in "parts missing" and the buyer never goes back to check thread. He then ends up with a broken gun and the OP says "well it says in the thread that its faulty"

just my 2 cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

mack1984 wrote: »
    I dont think you should be able to edit your post after 15 minutes, for example, someone lists a gun for sale as fully functional, an hour later someone buys the gun, seller then goes back and edits thread to put in "parts missing" and the buyer never goes back to check thread. He then ends up with a broken gun and the OP says "well it says in the thread that its faulty"

just my 2 cents

Yeah but it records when post was edited, and if it was edited then everyone and all mods will more likely be on buyers side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

It is my understanding that mods can see posts that have been deleted or edited. (I am open to correction of course)
    So it shouldn't really be a problem.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Rooky1 wrote: »
    It is my understanding that mods can see posts that have been deleted or edited. (I am open to correction of course)
    So it shouldn't really be a problem.:)
    Correct, if you delete a post, we can still read it. If something is changed, we can see what it was (and whether it was you or a mod that did it) :)

Advertisement