Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinophorosaurus' brain reveals its secrets

Options
  • 20-01-2012 8:39pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Don´t hate me, but, again, the article is in Spanish (I didn´t find anything in English, probably because the study was made in Spain).

I bet you all remember Spinophorosaurus, it is that cool sauropod with a spikey tail that is NOT Shunosaurus:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsZrzdEIulk9MIl3r3BmxvPKs6xDpMUBp_r_pdjEIXsjF5zXAN

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNdTCnONQ9QnMdVST_Ot74EfdWcwuo49OVGMj_d9gDkrRwHRhexg
    So, they took Spinophorosaurus' skull and did a CAT scan, and found a surprisingly well developed vestibular apparatus, more similar- says the article- to that found in agile, fast moving animals like mongoose lemurs (!!) than to slow moving creatures.
    This suggests that not only did Spinophorosaurus have great balance, but was probably also moving faster (or moving its neck and head faster, maybe?) and with more agility than we usually imagine for sauropods. And that's the interesting stuff. Here's the article in case you want to google-translate it or something:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNdTCnONQ9QnMdVST_Ot74EfdWcwuo49OVGMj_d9gDkrRwHRhexg

Comments

Advertisement