Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I got through 10 minutes of him saying nothing and it's helped with the insomnia I think, starting to feel sleepy.
    I don't know why you find it interesting. Go watch James Randi's TED talk, much more fascinating and I'm sure there are many more.
    Maybe I'm missing it cause I'm tired but could you outline what it is he says that's interesting then I might try and get through the last 10 minutes...

Sorry if that comes across cranky but it is 4.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Haven’t see the video, but de Boton has written a book (A Religion for Atheists) arguing, as I understand it, that though religion is based on nonsensical beliefs nevertheless it is, on balance, indispensable to civilization, and therefore desirable and worthy of support. It’s the kind of argument that Christopher Hitchens, if he were still with us, would take apart with a chainsaw.

If you’re more of the Hitchens mindset, then you might enjoy Terry Eagleton’s review of the book in the Guardian.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

SeaSlacker wrote: »
    Saw this, thought you folk'd be interested.

I watched half of it yesterday and turned it off.
    I see no merit in his suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Wow. The whole talk is just about narratives.

This is pop-philosophy at (it's) best.

Edit: Just started a course on this with Richard Kearney. Check out his On Stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I don't like Alain de Botton. I find he makes poor arguments. In 'The Architecture of Happiness' he tries to make the case that cathedrals and churches are the epitome of 'happy' places. To get to this he makes a few leaps of faith that don't quite make sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ten year zombie thread resurrection alert!

I finally got around to watching this the other day. It's all the feel-good stuff about religions generally, none of the other side of the coin. Religions only "work" because to a greater or lesser extent, depending on the time and place, they coerce people and take advantage of the credulous and vulnerable. It's clear that de Botton has never lived in a country where religion retains a large influence on contemporary society.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I finally got around to watching this the other day. 

Blimey, I thought my netflix list was too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Haha. I was searching for something else, came across the video then thought it'd be likely to have been mentioned here somewhere.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement