Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optical Express, Optilase or elsewhere?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 niall2223

arbeloa wrote: »
    I had LASIK surgery done approximately 15 months ago and I'm still suffering with dry eyes and large floaters. It has been a disaster for me. I am hoping to form a group for people whose eyes have been ruined by this. So for people in a similar position my email is <snip>
    Remember if the surgery was so safe then there would be no need to sign a consent form. The complications on the consent form are there because they have happened to people before.

Why don't you sue them!! Every operation has it's risks,if you go into any hospital for a procedure, you will have to sign a consent form!
    If you haven't then the hospital isn't doing it's duties!!

If it happened to me I'd sue,and make a fuss about it!!!

also we haven't heard the laser surgeon's side of the story,with regards the people here!!

The 'complications' on the consent form are there because they are legally obliged to have them there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 microfinance

Well I must say I have been very happy with my experience. The only drawbacks are you cant play any contact sports for a month afterwords and you cant exercise for a week. You cant wear contacts for a week before the surgery and you cant wear eye make up for a week after. (Im a girl by the way. so wearing eye make now whenever i want is brilliant!) I got mine done with Optical Express, had the consultation in Mahon Point, Cork and the actual surgery , in Newbridge, Co. Kildare. I am nearly 1 month post surgery now and its brilliant, back football training at the moment and delighted with the results!I still suffer from dry eyes at the moment but that is to be expected for another few months. I was -3 so it has made a huge difference to my life not needing to wear glasses and contacts. Also been able to go out on a night out and enjoy waking up the next morning without sore sticky eyes! Also if you want i can give u a voucher that gives you 150 off the cost of treatment with optical express, just PM me or reply on this thread. also be happy to answer any questions you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Well I must say I have been very happy with my experience. The only drawbacks are you cant play any contact sports for a month afterwords and you cant exercise for a week. You cant wear contacts for a week before the surgery and you cant wear eye make up for a week after. (Im a girl by the way. so wearing eye make now whenever i want is brilliant!) I got mine done with Optical Express, had the consultation in Mahon Point, Cork and the actual surgery , in Newbridge, Co. Kildare. I am nearly 1 month post surgery now and its brilliant, back football training at the moment and delighted with the results!I still suffer from dry eyes at the moment but that is to be expected for another few months. I was -3 so it has made a huge difference to my life not needing to wear glasses and contacts. Also been able to go out on a night out and enjoy waking up the next morning without sore sticky eyes! Also if you want i can give u a voucher that gives you 150 off the cost of treatment with optical express, just PM me or reply on this thread. also be happy to answer any questions you have!

WOW! Can I ask how old you are? I'm getting my surgery done the day after tomorrow! I'm very excited. I'm going up to Belfast to get it done because it's way cheaper! I'm going to miss my make up for the week but it will all be worth it! :) I'm very excited!!EEEEKKKK! :) I'm going for the LASIK intralase! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 microfinance

well sqeaky duck, im 23 so really making a difference to my life. let me know how u get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Well, It's day one! I've got better than 20 20 vision in one eye already, the other has to catch up. My optometrist is very pleased with my recovery! I can read bus numbers and stuff far away but sending a text is proving a bit hard at the moment, that will pass.

The one thing I hate is the brusing on my eyes. It's horrible. I got intra lase LASIK and the suction cups kept falling off! 4 times. I cried the whole way through the surgery, but when I came out I was so proud that I managed to do it.

Any one that wants to get it done. DO IT! It's amazing! You only realize how amazing it is the day after! :) Go North to get it cheaper! OPTICAL EXPRESS are the BEST! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kenpen

snappieT wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Had a consultation with optical express during the week, and was very impressed. I knew going in that I wouldn't be paying 595 per eye, and I ended up deciding that Wavefront LASIK (without intralase) is the best for me, with a cost of 1373 per eye.
    Before I make any rash decisions, I'd like to hear from you. Have you been to Optical Express (or Optilase) for that matter? Are you happy?

Looking forward to reading your responses,
    ~S
    Hi, i had lazar eye surgery wit optical express & very happy with my eye site! Mine cost €2550, they quoted me alot more at 1st! So I'd advise not to go with your 1st quote???
    The surgery I was advised to have as it was the best for my eye site was changed by the surgeon at the last minute & they charged me an extra €300 so make sure that's not gonna happen? As it can be upsetting on the day, as your'd be nervous enough!
    I can honestly say although the surgery wasn't pleasant, it only lasted bout 10mins & there was no pain what so ever!
    There's alot of eye drops as after care but if u look after ur eyes & rest them for bout 2 days there'll be perfect! Well mine are??
    Best thing I ever did! So shop around! Get the best price & just go for it!
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Retals1187

Do you still have this voucher available by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Badeyes

I had laser eye surgery done 3 years ago and had better than 20/20 vision afterwards. Since Dec last year I noticed my vision getting worse. I returned for a check up and was told all was perfect, until i questioned it and it turned out my eyes had deteriorated slightly. In Feb I went to another optician for another opinion and was told I needed glasses for driving etc. I returned to laser eye clinic the next week and told I was fine for driving but i would probably need enhancement and they would give me glasses if it helped my confidence while driving!! I was told to return in 2 mths which I did and was fobbed off further and told to return again! next to being told I was reading 20/20 even if i did squint and it took ages and that my dry eye would improve by drinking water!! My perscription had changed again but i'm still fine and had a stigmatism in the opposite eye! My housemate also had hers done 3 years ago and is going through a similar battle! They have been returning her call since April 2nd!!! Considering I was told I would need reading glasses when I was 40 and 3 years later I need glasses I am far from happy! Would I recommend it, if you asked me 2 years ago I would have said yes, now not a hope! 2500 euro for under 3 years perfect vision!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

Hey - sorry to hear that!

What procedure did you get done? You may not want to say but if you can, what clinic is this in reference too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 raka

3 and a half years post surgery I am suffering daily with itchy eyes. I can no longer wear eye make up and am in constant discomfort. Many people are taking legal action against these clinics. I would do anything to go back to wearing glasses and have healthy eyes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Any more details?
    Something seriously suspicious about these posts where someone starts an account, says something vague about the surgery going wrong, then is never heard of again despite questions being asked of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

raka wrote: »
    3 and a half years post surgery I am suffering daily with itchy eyes. I can no longer wear eye make up and am in constant discomfort. Many people are taking legal action against these clinics. I would do anything to go back to wearing glasses and have healthy eyes!!!

What procedure did you have and where? Did you have dry eyes to begin with?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭oconnot5

I have been meaning to give my view online on laser the past while.
    I read a lot of forums before doing it and reading through it there are a lot of posts from people within some of the laser companies recommending their company so be wary.
    It is not a nice procedure, very uncomfortable and eyes are feeling pretty sore that day. You definitely need someone to bring you home. Seeing stuff after laser though is amazing.

I had it done about 5 months ago, eyes were -3 and -4. I had it done with optical express. I have a combined better than 20 20 vison. One eye is stronger than other now. I am happy with the procedure. I was back in work on the Monday, had the procedure on Saturday, and worked a few shorter days that week as eyes tired.

Glare can still be bad enough and halos at night. There are a lot of risks involved and it can go wrong. You will need reading glasses quicker if you get it done.
    Blackrock price is similar to others or even cheapest if you have a strong prescription (They have a fixed price per eye).

My view is do not do during winter. Driving at night is difficult post surgery due to glare/ halos. If you do in winter you will be constantly driving in dark. Spring is ideal/ Autumn is probably good too. Long evenings and not to sunny is best.
    You need a good pair of Polaroid sun glasses after. I am still a little dazzled when I go outside on sunny day.
    In terms of tax back, late in year is best as you will get the 20% back quicker.
    Most health insurance plans do not cover anything. However a lot of laser providers do give a discount based on who you have insurance with. This discount is purely given by laser provider though.
    In terms of price, push them push them push them. They are increasing prices by about 100 a year. Do not sign up on first day, they are likely to drop price more to entice you. I was with one insurer, said I was renewing soon so would change to insurer with higher discount and was told not to bother as they would give me full discount (25% I think). I got Lasik, intralase with wavefront. My starting price was 4100, with insurance discount about 3100, ended at 2800 after cals to me and asking for lower price. My refer a friend got 100 Euro too. Optilase and Optical express do refer a friend programs (probably others too.) Make use of them, if you not know anyone who got it done find someone who did/
    In terms of aftercare I have had it after a day a week, a month, 3 and 6 months. Think it is yearly as well. I have had unlimited drops included (10 or more bottles now probably). I was told to come back if I wanted more last time. I am still using drops a few times a week due to dryness. I was a little unsure about my eyes given a sizeable difference in strength. I went to specsavers for a second totally unbiased opinion and to reassure myself as much as anything. This for 15 Euro was worth a lot to me. They told me one was far better than ‘perfect’ (a lot better than 20:20) and other was almost 20:20. This I feel is well worth going to your own optician if you have any doubts. Your laser provider is very biased.

Big discounts available after cancellations if surgery isn’t full on a date coming soon. If you are flexible try this. Tell them you are getting a price from their competitors.
    As for which company is best, I really don’t know. They will obviously all tell you they have the mot hi-tech equipment. Obviously it is best if you meet your surgeon before the day you have surgery. This doesn’t happen with Optical Express (and also with some others I think).
    Reading forums the one eye versus two eyes a time is a big grey area. I really don’t know. I had both done together. I would hate to have to go back a second day but if it goes wrong and both eyes are done you are in a worse situation.
    It is meant to be cheaper up north if that would suit.
    Overall I was happy with service provided. That’s my random thoughts of laser. Any questions just ask. My main things are be careful the time of year you do it look for lower price. Read up on it, you sign a scary disclaimer form of the 101 things that might go wrong.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AdrianBonner

My experience with optical express has been nothing short of horrific. I got laser eye surgery on 13/08/2011. I suffered immensely as soon as I left the clinic. The procedure is to go home an lie down and keep your eyes closed. My eyes were in awful pain and a type of distress that is indescribable. For about 8 hours after I was sitting in a darkened room, eyes closed rubbing my arms, my legs, anything else as I couldn't touch my eyes. I went for check ups that week and basically was told that my eyes had taken a very bad reaction to the treatment and were very inflamed.

After a few weeks my eyes settled and my vision was perfect. I had slightly poorer night vision and didn't like bright lights but apart from that I was delighted to finally have good eyesight.

However I could feel my eyesight getting worse after the first year and it regressed until I was -0.5, I was then getting free check ups. I was told that I would get a free top-up surgery if my eyesight continued to regress up to a 4 year time limit. My eyesight continued to regress and I ended up wearing glasses again. It was agreed that I would require top-up surgery. I was keen to get on with it but the ophthalmetrist would continually recommend that I should wait until my eyesight stabilised. It regularly got worse until I was -1.0 at which point I had a meeting with an ophthalmetrist.
    It was 1 year out from the deadline and she said my eyesight had still not stabilized and it would need to be stable for a year before they would do surgery. I said I will need to get it done soon and she said: In a case like yours we will extend the deadline as it is important to get it right, I asked are you sure you don't need to have it done within the deadline? No it is important that we get the best result possible we wouldn't leave you like that.
    At the time I was almost going to say can I get that in writing, but they always seemed professional to deal with and I trusted them. I took her at her word. BIG MISTAKE! When I went for a check up my eyesight had again regressed to -1.5 but it had been stable for a while. I was told I would be charged for a follow up operation as the deadline had passed, I told the staff member of the conversation I had with the ophthalmetrist but they said I should take it up with head office. I called the next day and met with the woman who had said the deadline would be extended in my case. She said she couldn't remember saying that and that it doesn't sound like something she would say. I asked her does she extend deadlines in certain cases? She said she does in certain cases. It was obvious nobody in their right mind would miss a deadline like that unless they were advised otherwise. How would I know that she did that in certain cases unless she told me she was going to do it in mine?
    Now they are happy to do it again if I will pay for it again. I feel utterly betrayed by people I thought were professionals and I trusted with my eyes. Please avoid and go with another provider if you have any sense.
    Or if you have no other option treat your appointments like a court-case and have everything in writing.
    Once there was a operation to be done with no extra financial gain, they put it off and off and then when the deadline was up said I would have to pay again. I see other negative reviews on here, I am sure I am not the only one who has been treated appallingly by optical express. I would have interest in hearing from anyone who has had a similar negative experience. My email address is <snip> if you would like to share your story with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Motherboy

Hi All,

Really good thread here. I am going for a consultation with Optical Express. If anyone had a referral code it would be much appreciated

Advertisement