Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news for drinkers. FG/Labour to introduce minimum prices!

Options
  • 08-01-2012 5:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭

Write-up in todays Sunday Times (England)

Summary of article (Cannot print article due to pay-wall copyright restrictions):

Our Irish Government is planning to double the price of the cheapest cans of lager, and add €4 to the cost of own-brand vodka, in order to curb sales of cheap alcohol to teenagers and problem drinkers.

Róisín Shortall, our junior health minister, is to include minimum price laws in a new public health bill this year.
    He is also considering imposing a 55c per unit “floor” for alcohol — similar to the 45p introduced in a Scottish public health bill last November.

This would make it illegal for supermarkets and offlicences to sell a 500ml can of beer for less than €1.10, and introduce a minimum price of €15.40 for a standard bottle of vodka. Red wine could not be sold for less than €4.40 a bottle, while white wine, which generally has a lower alcohol content, could have a minimum price of €3.60.

Shortall says its “crazy” that young people could buy a “slab of beer”, 24 cans, or a bottle of vodka for €12.

So there you have it.

Someone gets more money coming their way.
    Be it the vintners, the shops still selling off-sales and/or the government.
    Meanwhile Mr & Mrs Joe Public gets hit in the wallet again.

FG I would expect this from - but from Labour too (they have gone a long way from standing up for the common Irish worker I feel - they have sold their soul to capitalism and political greed), making the average Irish worker pay more out of their pockets again!
    I dunno - it don't sit right with me.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Perish the thought we might actually try to raise our kids properly and keep them away from drink, the governments answer is to make it more expensive for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Let Shortall have her fun

She will be out of a job after the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Drink!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

As someone who doesn't drink much at all I can't say this will affect me, so I pretty much don't give a fig. But, I also can't see how it's going to achieve much of what the Govt. seem to want it to achieve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

fryup wrote: »
    Drink!!!

FECK!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

how will this curb yoof drinking? the average teenage drinker feasts on dutch mold which last time i checked was 8 500ml cans for 8 euro, teen drinking levels will drop all over the country as the yoofs cannot find the 80 extra needed to get pissed :rolleyes:

Home brew FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Biggins wrote: »
    Our Irish Government ... Róisín Shortall, our junior health minister ...
    Strange phrasing.

Do they mean the Irish government is owned by the Sunday Times or is it a "government in waiting" that they have set up for when they invade us?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

People can male their own choices. Raising prices won't solve alcoholism or underage drinking...

... we'll only have rich alcoholics and teenage drunks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

This will just take more money out of the household, most people won't give up the gargle, this not really about protecting people. Just another scam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Drink!!!

Arse biscuits

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Lucky I've just started homebrewing :D

Victor wrote: »
    Strange phrasing.

Do they mean the Irish government is owned by the Sunday Times or is it a "government in waiting" that they have set up for when they invade us?

As the article is in an English paper, I had to do a summary - their wording for the British public was text different.
    Apologies for use of bad grammar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Pack of short sighted ****ing imbeciles. They changed off licence closing times to 10pm because of teenagers and guess what, people are now forced to buy their drink earlier and teens are still drinking. I'm not sure what they see this increase doing, pocket money is a thing of the past and these kids have money now to buy it if they want it.

I'm sick of having my rights infringed for the sake of some spotty faced ****ing geeks who can't hande more than a can. Not to mention that every sweaty fat publican **** is rubbing his hands with glee at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fianna Fáil, the publican party

Oh wait, this is from the other shower

As bad as each other, why do I even vote

I'd like to know much donations the Labour party took from the VFI and LVA
    There is an article waiting to be written

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Genius..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Beer Baron needs to make a statement on this development

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Drink!!!

Off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

The Scottish law might not be around for too long, as there are concerns it could contravene EU law. The European Court of Justice also ruled that our own minimum price for tobacco contravenes EU law (although in that case it was in clear violation of a specific EU Directive).

From The Guardian:
    Last week, Anne Milton, the UK government's public health minister, said her legal advice was that minimum pricing was illegal within the EU because it contravened free trade legislation and would have to be tested in court.

James McLean, convenor of the Law Society's competition law committee, said there was strong evidence that the measures would be challenged under European, global free trade and taxation rules at the European court of justice.

edit: Whoo, 1,000 posts. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

As the article is in an English paper, I had to do a summary - their wording for the British public was text different.
    Apologies for use of bad grammar.

Phew. For a moment there I thought...

The evidence is that price controls of this kind reduce alcohol consumption generally, which has a beneficial effect on public health.

Has nobody mentioned The Nanny State Gone Mad yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Our Irish Government is planning to double the price of the cheapest cans of lager, and add €4 to the cost of own-brand vodka, in order to curb sales of cheap alcohol to teenagers and problem drinkers.
    If it actually did this their may be some point to it but it won't so they may as welll have just gave the real reason which is more money for the government rather than come out with some spiel story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Students weep, I know I am :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Students weep, I know I am :(

'I know I am a student'?

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The above sentiment is all that is wrong about Ireland.

Alright raising the price may not have a huge affect but hopefully it would have some impact on the major drinking problem in this country.

At least a government is going to make some sort of move and signal they are ready and willing to tackle the problem.

Simple economics would indicate that young drinkers have a higher sensitivity to price than older drinkers, so push up the prices, reduce demand. Why not give it a shout? Might save a life or two.

Past governments were all talk but no action.

Come up with some better ideas to change the horrible culture that has manifested itself in this country without moaning and venting at the government who are trying to at least do something to stop the rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

It would probably be better for Offies and supermarkets to better train their staff when it comes to the selling on alcohol to under-age customers I would have thought. It's far too easy for a young'un to get drink nowadays in a shop.

As usual the "experts" jump the gun and punish the majority who abide by the law.

Using the cloak of protecting the future generations just to make an extra buck. Every politician is a money grabbing.......

Sulmac wrote: »
    edit: Whoo, 1,000 posts. :D

:D Congrads!

Took ya long enough! :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I wish they'd just come out and say they're adding more tax too it because they want the money. Are they really trying to convince people that they believe making it €1.10 a can teenagers are going to stop drinking. :pac:

The above sentiment is all that is wrong about Ireland.

Alright raising the price may not have a huge affect but hopefully it would have some impact on the major drinking problem in this country.

At least a government is going to make some sort of move and signal they are ready and willing to tackle the problem.

Simple economics would indicate that young drinkers have a higher sensitivity to price than older drinkers, so push up the prices, reduce demand. Why not give it a shout? Might save a life or two.

Past governments were all talk but no action.

Come up with some better ideas to change the horrible culture that has manifested itself in this country without moaning and venting at the government who are trying to at least do something to stop the rot.

Lol, you think this is actually going to reduce drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

DarkJager wrote: »
    Pack of short sighted ****ing imbeciles. They changed off licence closing times to 10pm because of teenagers and guess what, people are now forced to buy their drink earlier and teens are still drinking. I'm not sure what they see this increase doing, pocket money is a thing of the past and these kids have money now to buy it if they want it.

I'm sick of having my rights infringed for the sake of some spotty faced ****ing geeks who can't hande more than a can. Not to mention that every sweaty fat publican **** is rubbing his hands with glee at this.
    I do agree with your point about the futility of the governments (all of them) pathetic attempts to curb binge and under-age drinking, however the price increases/price minimums mentioned in the article will have zero effect on publicans and how much trade they get and I'm sure they know this. Even if off-licence prices doubled I doubt pub sales would increase dramatically. I'm also sure that it will have little or no effect on off-licence sales either. Therefore the only people gaining are the government and off-licences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Yup, more wasted time and effort by our state..... I'm fast begining to understand why we are a nation of drinkers. Focus is always on the wrong stuff. :mad:

Advertisement