Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's your favourite serial killer?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Dotrel wrote: »
    No, serial killer, Wisconsin, the '50s. Do you know what Ed Gein said about women?

What did Ed Gein say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Vasili Blokhin ,NKVD's chief executioner, thought to have killed 7000 in 28 days in the Katyn massacres.Dunno if you could call him a serial killer though, believed to be the most prolific ever executioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

What did Ed Gein say?

He said "When I see a pretty girl walking down the street, I want to take her out, talk to her, be real nice and sweet and treat her right."

Great sentiments from a lovely man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

He said "When I see a pretty girl walking down the street, I want to take her out, talk to her, be real nice and sweet and treat her right."

Great sentiments from a lovely man.

And the other half of me wonders what her head would look like on a stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

livinsane wrote: »
    And the other half of me wonders what her head would look like on a stick.

Oh, I must have missed that part. I take it back then.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Oh, I must have missed that part. I take it back then.

Hey Dotrel

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinski

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its really interesting how many of the high profile serial killers had truly messed up childhoods and were doing their killings during the 70s... Maybe something about parenting in the 60s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Its really interesting how many of the high profile serial killers had truly messed up childhoods and were doing their killings during the 70s... Maybe something about parenting in the 60s?

all the drugs...

but really, yeah of course it's to do with their upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Seriel killer thread with 100 posts
    Rapist thread insta-locked, everyone shocked.

stay logical, AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

all the drugs...

but really, yeah of course it's to do with their upbringing.

Psychopathy is genetic. Upbringing can release their worst instincts but no psychopath can be normal even when given a loving, nurturing, caring upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Spunge wrote: »

stay logical, AH.

Well serial killing is well serialised on TV and in media whereas rape is more taboo and really horrible all rapists are pieces of human excramant!

pdbhp wrote: »
    Well serial killing is well serialised on TV and in media whereas rape is more taboo and really horrible all rapists are pieces of human excramant!

That's not terribly logical as a large proportion of serial killers rape/sexually torture their victims.

Psychopathy is genetic. Upbringing can release their worst instincts but no psychopath can be normal even when given a loving, nurturing, caring upbringing.

link?

and are all serial killers psychopaths?

link?

I wouldn't say there's a clear genetic link to one becoming a psychopath mostly because there is no clear pathology associated with psychopaths.
    Like for example people with alzhimers who have very clear pathology in their brains which can confirm the disease, one can't find that with psychopaths.
    If there's any genetic link it is likely to be multifactorial which usually is very difficult to prove.

Most of the theories on serial killers seem to focus on their childhood psychological development becoming messed up due to bad or in occasions truly messed up parenting.

As W.H. Auden said it... "those to whom evil is done. Do evil in return".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Leonard Lake and Charles Ng.
    Now these were 2 brutal SOB's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

pdbhp wrote: »
    Spunge wrote: »

stay logical, AH.

Whatever rationalisation works for ya.

I wouldn't say there's a clear genetic link to one becoming a psychopath mostly because there is no clear pathology associated with psychopaths.
    Like for example people with alzhimers who have very clear pathology in their brains which can confirm the disease, one can't find that with psychopaths.
    If there's any genetic link it is likely to be multifactorial which usually is very difficult to prove.

Most of the theories on serial killers seem to focus on their childhood psychological development becoming messed up due to bad or in occasions truly messed up parenting.

As W.H. Auden said it... "those to whom evil is done. Do evil in return".

yeah, anything I've read never mentioned any genetic link or anything biological. it was always about environment and circumstance. much more believable tbh.

link?

No, they are not in the strictest sense but from my reading (a few links below - lots more out there on Google) most of them exhibit maybe not all but some of the accepted psychopathic/sociopath traits. Researchers are still looking into the possibility of physical brain malformation or 'wrong wiring' being responsible for these traits. You can say that lots of serial killers had horrendous childhoods but there there are a greater proportion of people who have had terrible childhoods who do not grow up to become serial killers or psychopaths individuals.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder/serial-murder-1#four

http://crime.about.com/od/serial/a/psychopaths.htm

http://www.lovefraud.com/blog/2008/10/10/sociopathic-children-and-psychopathic-traits-during-childhood/

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50579

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128116806

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127888976

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2242349/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I find the West case very interesting. Can't make up my mind whether Rose West was involved in the murders or not. Read a very interesting book on the case called 'She Must Have Known' by Brian Masters which showed how unsound her conviction was. I think it's perfectly possible that Fred carried out the killings on his own. Also there must be other victims that we'll never know about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Terminator

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

double post

The Terminator

Your user namesake. :D

No, they are not in the strictest sense but from my reading (a few links below - lots more out there on Google) most of them exhibit maybe not all but some of the accepted psychopathic/sociopath traits. Researchers are still looking into the possibility of physical brain malformation or 'wrong wiring' being responsible for these traits. You can say that lots of serial killers had horrendous childhoods but there there are a greater proportion of people who have had terrible childhoods who do not grow up to become serial killers or psychopaths individuals.

there are lots of abusers that themselves were abused, and lots that don't abuse, but you can't say their abuse has nothing to do with being abused themselves.

I wish I could read all that stuff, but my concentration is quite bad. from what I did read, I could conclude they're saying not all psychopaths are murderers, and not all murderers are psychopaths.

there are lots of abusers that themselves were abused, and lots that don't abuse, but you can't say their abuse has nothing to do with being abused themselves.

I wish I could read all that stuff, but my concentration is quite bad. from what I did read, I could conclude they're saying not all psychopaths are murderers, and not all murderers are psychopaths.

I'm pretty sure its not just bad parenting and abuse that leads one to becoming a serial killer/psychopath.

As you mentioned a lot of people who were abused or had bad childhood do not all end up becoming messed up psycho serial killers. There's a lot more to it than that.

Like some children do seem to have an inherent tendency towards violence. Many have noticed the earliest manifestation of this in children who are cruel towards animals. Children who like to kill animals for fun or just to "see what its like" and such. Like the ones who posted the videos of setting a cat on fire or suffocating cats in plastic bags n other messed up kids like that.

And finally its a bit of like The Joker says "madness is like gravity, all it needs is a little push!".

I'm pretty sure its not just bad parenting and abuse that leads one to becoming a serial killer/psychopath.

As you mentioned a lot of people who were abused or had bad childhood do not all end up becoming messed up psycho serial killers. There's a lot more to it than that.

Like some children do seem to have an inherent tendency towards violence. Many have noticed the earliest manifestation of this in children who are cruel towards animals. Children who like to kill animals for fun or just to "see what its like" and such. Like the ones who posted the videos of setting a cat on fire or suffocating cats in plastic bags n other messed up kids like that.

And finally its a bit of like The Joker says "madness is like gravity, all it needs is a little push!".

so you're saying that your opinion is that it's genetic?

so you're saying that your opinion is that it's genetic?

Maybe genetic or some sporadic mutation somewhere along the line messing up the way the person thinks and behaves. If not all people with messed up childhood would end up becoming serial killers but thats not the case.

A lot of psychiatry and psychology at the end of the day is just waffle with some evidence than A leads to B and C can help correcting that sometimes. Nothing can be properly proved.

Maybe genetic or some sporadic mutation somewhere along the line messing up the way the person thinks and behaves. If not all people with messed up childhood would end up becoming serial killers but thats not the case.

A lot of psychiatry and psychology at the end of the day is just waffle with some evidence than A leads to B and C can help correcting that sometimes. Nothing can be properly proved.

I know none of it can be proven, but isn't the general accepted theory that it's hugely down to environment?

I know none of it can be proven, but isn't the general accepted theory that it's hugely down to environment?

At the end of the day probably.
    Good parenting usually leads to good adults.

• Advertisement

At the end of the day probably.
    Good parenting usually leads to good adults.

so.... you're agreeing with my point? ok

Advertisement