Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynamo - Magician Impossible

Options
  • 20-07-2011 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

Just caught this guy's show last night on TV channel Watch.

I'm still bowled over. Check him out. He walks through windows and walks on water. He puts mobile phones into bottles.

Tricks are so good, I don't want to know the reveal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

guys amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Really loving his show, I can't wait for tomorrow :D:D He's also very cute :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Not seen any of his newer stuff, but I remember when he was first showing up on the screens a couple of years ago. He seemed to lack originality at the time, there was not a single one of his effects (at the time) that was not available off the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Been watching a lot of his stuff, pretty amazing I think

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Cue a rant from Zuroph......

We were texting as he watched this the other day on tv.
    Stooges , editing ,the whole lot , a poor man's Criss Angel.
    Awful , awful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

horgan_p wrote: »
    Cue a rant from Zuroph......

We were texting as he watched this the other day on tv.
    Stooges , editing ,the whole lot , a poor man's Criss Angel.
    Awful , awful stuff.

Boo !

It was great.

Pal wrote: »
    Just caught this guy's show last night on TV channel Watch.

I'm still bowled over. Check him out. He walks through windows and walks on water. He puts mobile phones into bottles.

Tricks are so good, I don't want to know the reveal.

He does none of the above , he is surrounded by stooges with the window.
    The water is obviously an edit after the fact to remove certain things.
    The mobile phone trick is achieved with multiple cuts and edits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

horgan_p wrote: »
    He does none of the above , he is surrounded by stooges with the window.
    The water is obviously an edit after the fact to remove certain things.
    The mobile phone trick is achieved with multiple cuts and edits.

This.

Using Sky Plus, you can see exactly how he done the majority of tricks. He's terrible. I though the bottle trick was good until I figured out how it done it. He's just sloppy. And the walking through glass, such tripe. Terrible stuff. There are plenty out there so much better than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

OK wise guys. How did he put the ring into the ice cube ?

Did he put it there , or was it there already ?

Most ice cubes look the same from a distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

A couple of the tricks were easy enough to figure out but the rest were magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

YEAH YEAH BLAH BLAH... So what is your point? He didn't walk on water? He didn't manage to move through a glass window? T.V technology can make it too easy for muggles to "figure out" the trick.So what? Do you really think there is a Harry Potter? Give a guy some credit, he got a t.v show. How about that for a trick?

at the end of the day the whole point of magic is to amaze someone, everyone knows theres a secret behind every trick but when someone sticks a mobile phone into a bottle while they stand right in front of you you have to be amazed obviously theres a gimmick behind it but at that stage do you care?

*Muggle, a term from the Harry Potter book series by J. K. Rowling, refers to a person who lacks any sort of magical ability and was not born into the magical world.

It's an entertaining show imo. I like him & think he's fairly good at performing most of the tricks.
    Those that are on about actors, camera tricks/editing etc.......... Why are you saying this? Just because it's impossible to do the tricks without them or because you know for a fact that he does use them?

Magicians tend to dislike and ridicule those who use camera trickery to preform effects because it shows a lack of skill. We all put in an awful amount of work to be able to do what we do, and it, I hope understandably, annoys us a bit when someone claims to be doing the same thing, when they are in fact just relying on their special effects and editing team to provide the illusion.

Oh ya completely understand where you're coming from & if that is what he is doing then he doesn't deserve much credit.
    But what I'm asking is why do you think he is or how do you know he is?

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Oh ya completely understand where you're coming from & if that is what he is doing then he doesn't deserve much credit.
    But what I'm asking is why do you think he is or how do you know he is?

Personally? I don't. I did not watch his show, but I know both zuroph and horgan_p and I trust their judgement on it. They are both good magicians, and good magicians tend to be very good at spotting exactly what other magicians are doing.

The sleights and tricks that a magician typically uses are generally created to get past a lay person, not another magician. When watching a magician preform, the average person on the street tends to look where the magician wants them to look, but generally, the magician is using the same sleights that any other magician would be using, and they notice this.

I was able to figure out most of Dynamos earlier TV experiences, because as I mentioned earlier, they were all off the shelf tricks. Stuff that any person off the street could walk into a magic shop and purchase. I own a good few of them myself, and I know how most of the other ones work through seeing other magicians preforming them or just generally being able to figure it out myself. (Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with off the shelf tricks, nearly every thing I preform is from a book rather than something of my own devising. I just think that if someone is a magician and has that kind of audience, well then, maybe they should try and be a bit more original.)

One of the curses of being a magician is it takes alot of the wonder away from magic, it becomes much more analytical. More about dissecting what the performer actually did rather than revelling in the performance that they put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I like him & think he's fairly good at performing most of the tricks.
    Those that are on about actors, camera tricks/editing etc.......... Why are you saying this? Just because it's impossible to do the tricks without them or because you know for a fact that he does use them?

I'd be 99.9% certain (the .1% allowing for the fact that he's actually capable of magic) that I know exactly how each trick is done. each one I've seen has been an adaptation of existing effects I've already seen/purchased. IMO, he "cheats" by using multiple stooges, extensive staging that just isnt realistically viable, and camera editing trickery. It misleads the audience at home as to what trick has occurred, and the stooges is a no no in any magicians book.

If I wanted to create his show tomorrow I could. but I could have everyone present drop dead from the shock of how amazing my magic was. Actors are very handy for bigging up an effect.

the window walk for example. If the people outside werent all stooges, then why did he need to hide himself from view from the camera side.
    I even think some of them might not have been stooges, but were simply edited to look like they were reacting in awe, when really they were just talking about what he actually did. Which IMO would be even worse, if he left that area with 50% of the live audience knowing exactly how he did it, just to get something cool on camera.

caspa307 wrote: »
    at the end of the day the whole point of magic is to amaze someone, everyone knows theres a secret behind every trick but when someone sticks a mobile phone into a bottle while they stand right in front of you you have to be amazed obviously theres a gimmick behind it but at that stage do you care?

my problem with this isnt the effect itself, its the way its presented on tv to look like something much bigger than it was. there's two critical things missing from the version that went out on tv, that make the effect look like a miracle, when, if they'd been included, would have made it much more mundane. the walkaway leaving them with the bottle in this instance is impossible. Either that isnt her phone, or he's already swapped her phone out with an identical phone which he's gone out and paid for, to get her to hand to him. There's a lot of editing going on here.

When he walks away and you break open the bottle to find out its not your phone, then yeah :pac:

the walk away thing is even lifted too, its a copycat from blaine years and years ago. stupid gimmick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i dont particularly like magic trick reveal shows, or those that reveal how the magic is done (i'll make an exception for tommy cooper! although he was more comedian than magician.) but the likes of this dynamo guy, jesus he should be pulled off tv because his greatest illusion as far as i can see is that he can make his head disappear up his own backside.

in fairness i wasnt the biggest david blaine fan either, and i know street magicians are just one form of magic, but for me even the magic kits i got as a six or seven year old child, they all emphasised the importance of your patter, or presentation.

this guy just seems to be "oh the americans have david blaine, we british have... dynamo!". the show is an hour long, yet half an hour of it is taken up by crowd reactions, the other twenty minutes is commercial breaks, so that's about ten minutes of unintentional magic reveals and pretty píss poor presentation.

ps. i could do with subtitles too because it bugs the bejaysus out of me that whether its his accent or just badly done audio, half the time i cant understand what he's muffling! :mad:

zuroph wrote: »
    When he walks away and you break open the bottle to find out its not your phone, then yeah :pac:

the walk away thing is even lifted too, its a copycat from blaine years and years ago. stupid gimmick.

yeah fair enough but as a magician do you not enjoy the reaction from the people(not stooges)

yeah fair enough but as a magician do you not enjoy the reaction from the people(not stooges)

But its not a realistic situation. say he walks through the window, leaving all the people outside having seen how it was done, then walks away. the people inside are going to, at some stage, ask the people outside what they saw. Its not good crowd management, and is very very sloppy work.

i enjoy getting a great reaction from people when I perform. But I wouldnt reveal an effect to loads of people on one side of the crowd just to get a reaction from the other half. after a while, everyone finds out how you did it, and your reputation is gone, and you've pissed off a lot of magicians who DID put in the extra bit of work to cover their angles, because you've gone and revealed their trick.

zuroph wrote: »
    But its not a realistic situation. say he walks through the window, leaving all the people outside having seen how it was done, then walks away. the people inside are going to, at some stage, ask the people outside what they saw. Its not good crowd management, and is very very sloppy work.

i enjoy getting a great reaction from people when I perform. But I wouldnt reveal an effect to loads of people on one side of the crowd just to get a reaction from the other half. after a while, everyone finds out how you did it, and your reputation is gone, and you've pissed off a lot of magicians who DID put in the extra bit of work to cover their angles, because you've gone and revealed their trick.

all right i see what ya mean from that point of view (im no magician as you probably guessed) studied when i was younger though this dude lived next door to me http://www.playingtricks.co.uk/

but would love to get back into it lol i can only do card tricks

all right i see what ya mean from that point of view (im no magician as you probably guessed) studied when i was younger though this dude lived next door to me http://www.playingtricks.co.uk/

but would love to get back into it lol i can only do card tricks

plenty of magicians cant even do them ;)

get stuck into it, its a real fun time to learn magic, some interesting stuff out there. try the stickies at top of forum, and have a look around the magic shop websites, start with some easy stuff and build your way up. try not to get too sucked into buying packet tricks for now though, I find this stops most magicians progressing, as they concentrate on going for the biggest reactions at the start, they end up spending a fortune on effects they'll never use.

na to be honest i just wanna focus on card tricks more then anything lol

na to be honest i just wanna focus on card tricks more then anything lol

I'm a cardie myself, there is a bunch of books listed in the getting started thread, most of them are worth picking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brendanlawlor

I saw him walking on water on Channel 4.

I cant believe the hype.

He clearly had stilts on??

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

It's done with a bridge built just below the water's surface.The bridge is clear like glass.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I think there should be a distinct difference between a good illusion and downright fakery. If a man proports to put a phone into a bottle, but it ends up really being him throwning the phone into the inside of his jacket, whilst the phone and bottle and then staged for refilming, then I take that as fakery. Its as magic as an average hollywood movie.

Watch where the phone goes ...

Advertisement