Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isnt this illegal?

Options
  • 21-12-2011 11:39am

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/7116/
    Finn Harps chairman Joey O'Leary has expressed his delight after the future of the club was effectively secured this evening - after Donegal County Council passed a motion to give the First Division club €20,000.

The council gave unanimous backing to a motion tabled by Cllr Martin Harley and seconded by Barry O'Neill for the local authority to sanction the funding to the cash-strapped club.

how do they get away with this? Giving taxpayers money away to whoever they want!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

how do they get away with this? Giving taxpayers money away to whoever they want!

Get away with what? Helping out a local team with what is effectively a pittance in terms of our overall problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You can hardly call LOI soccer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Oranage2 wrote: »

You can call it football though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,204 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Trolling again?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

tin79 wrote: »
    You can call it football though

Even less correct

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Get away with what? Helping out a local team with what is effectively a pittance in terms of our overall problems?

Because this "local support" bs for a tiny minority doesn't help out the greater population or the state of the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SisterAnn

I see your issue with the arbitrary nature of it. However, it is not too difficult to make a case that the particular club in question is a key part of Donegal's sporting heritage and social fabric and as such should be preserved and invested in when in difficulty. It shouldn't come without strings attached. Guarantees should be put in place that lead to financial stability and ultimate self-reliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Even less correct

Association football then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

weh weh weh wheres my 20 grand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Giving money away to save jobs?

What a fúcking travesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

well id rather finn harps have my money than fine geal.
    finn harps are actually helping people were as our government would have used that €20,000 on a Christmas party or probably bertie's mobile phone bill so I've no problem with that. Especially when you know were your money is going

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

What a fúcking travesty.

I'm not really objecting to giving the money, but don't the players all get put on the dole at the end of the season? What jobs are being saved?

IN answer to this one, the job of the board is to help and support local community initiatives. There are probably a lot of people who get something the organisation (Finn Harps) such as youth facilities, community facilities and so on and it is in the Council's interest to keep these facilities going. All we see, on the face of it, is a football business.

tin79 wrote: »
    Association football then.

I was thinking more heads and volleys or something along those lines.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Trolling again?

I'm sorry Ikky have we had previous encounters?

I ask you to withdrawn your trolling comment as I've never trolled this site nd I find it offensive. If you do not withdraw then I'm afraid I'll be forced to get a Moderator involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It's called LOL soccer

I was thinking more heads and volleys or something along those lines.

I'm sorry Ikky have we had previous encounters?

I ask you to withdrawn your trolling comment as I've never trolled this site nd I find it offensive. If you do not withdraw then I'm afraid I'll be forced to get a Moderator involved!

Well, there was this followed by this, not to mention this which may have been tongue in cheek, but then you followed it up with this...

What a fúcking travesty.

well why dont we all get 20k

why are we reducing pay - shouldnt we be increasing it and reducing taxes!

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/archivednews2007/mainbody,7454,en.html
    Cork City Council has lent its support to the Earthrace initiative by announcing it will be donating 1,500 litres of biodiesel to the boat currently moored at City Quarter, Lapps Quay, Cork. Delivery will be made to the boat by a local supplier, G.R.O. Oil Ltd. on Saturday, 14th July.

I want 1,500 litres of fuel! Our money is better off in our own pockets rather than giving it to these guys to pass on to whoever they feel like

What will they do with the household charge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

smash wrote: »
    Because this "local support" bs for a tiny minority doesn't help out the greater population or the state of the economy.

yup that €20000 could have been used to fund another junkie's methadone + prescription drugs + children's allowance for a few month. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Money well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

SisterAnn wrote: »
    it is not too difficult to make a case that the particular club in question is a key part of Donegal's sporting heritage and social fabric
    Absolutely, but not with taxpayers money.
    Do some fundraising, have a whip-around. If its important to the Donegalese, they can put their hands in their pockets.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Well, there was this followed by this, not to mention this which may have been tongue in cheek, but then you followed it up with this...

I can see a lot of people being very disappointed with your post - /there's no more trolling there than an episode of my little pony.

Anyway no ill feeling I don't hold grudges off threads, if I have a heated debate the poster is forgotten about in a new one.

yup that €20000 could have been used to fund another junkie's methadone + prescription drugs + children's allowance for a few month. :rolleyes:

Or it could probably have funded school books for a year in local school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

wyndham wrote: »
    Money well spent.

I disagree. I think this will foster dependence. Sports teams and organisations should be self sufficient. Is this a loan ? Are they ever intending to repay it if they return to profitability ? If it was a short term emergency loan then I would not have a problem with it. Otherwise it's populist and it's also 'nice'/presumptious of the council to be so generous with taxpayers money.

smash wrote: »
    Or it could probably have funded school books for a year in local school.

Is there a local school that has been left bereft of books because of this allocation?

Morlar wrote: »
    Sports teams and organisations should be self sufficient.

Why should they be? Are there no social or societal benefits from supporting sporting organisations?

wyndham wrote: »
    Is there a local school that has been left bereft of books because of this allocation?
    I'm talking in general.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'm not in Donegal, but I'll bet there are similar cases to mine up there.

If the local authority has €20K to spare, I will gratefully accept it being spent on measures to prevent the possibility of a repeat of the flooding that caused €120K of damage to our house a few years ago. As a result of poor planning control and other related issues, there's a man made obstruction to the clear flow of a stream that runs through our garden that backs it up during periods of heavy rain. The solution is to remove the obstruction, and €20K would do that job several times over, with change.

We were last flooded in 2002, and I'm still waiting for replies to the letters I hand delivered to the local authority. The local councillors can't get a response from the relevant departments either, despite trying more than a few times.

They can spend a fortune putting decorative planter beds in roundabouts for a 3 day golf event, but can't sort out issues that directly and significantly affect people's lives.

Wrong priorities, wrong motivation, wrong attitude, plain and simple WRONG, but people like me can't bring about the changes needed, and are unlikely to ever be able to do so.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

I don't disagree with the club getting the money, which will no doubt provide jobs and future business for the county.

However as Irish Steve said, there should have been other more important issues attended to first, like flooding issues etc.

This should not have been made priority.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    This should not have been made priority.
    How do you know it was made priority? Harps have been in trouble for awhile now and this motion could have been sitting there for months while more important things got dealt with.

Personally I'm happy to see the money go to them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

To me it wounds like they had extra cash to spend of they wouldn't get as much allocated to them next year but they should have put it to better use like the flooding prevention mentioned earlier. Or into the roads, Donegal has some roads in desperate need of repair.

Advertisement