Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Solicitor whinges over 71.5 million award against him and his doctor wife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    There are very few people in the world who can afford such a lavish lifestyle.:)

And, unfortunately for those of us who will have to fork out to clean up his mess, O'Donnell was never one of them. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thats the second or third time you've come out with that? Where exactly is he asking for anyone to clean up his mess? He's already paid back over €9 million this year. I guarantee any of the proposals he has put forward will result in the full amount being paid back but to expect him to pay back the full €70+million with 24hrs notice is just stupid and unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Thats the second or third time you've come out with that? Where exactly is he asking for anyone to clean up his mess? He's already paid back over €9 million this year. I can't guarantee any of the proposals he has put forward will result in the full amount being paid back but to expect him to pay back the full €70+million with 24hrs notice is just stupid and unrealistic.

Is that what you meant?
    They struck an agreement with the bank, but this later broke down. They have told friends it was like "the shutters came down".

He already made a deal with the bank which he failed to stick to the terms of. That's why the bank went to court over it. And the bank didn't decide he had to pay back 71.5 million immediately, the judge did.

In court, Bank of Ireland said the O'Donnells owed €71.5m but the couple dispute this figure. Mr O'Donnell has suggested they owe €63m.

On this bit of the article, the jduge agreed that O'Donnell owed what the bank said they owed, not what O'Donnell said they owed. So why should anyone trust that he's right when he's claiming that he has a plan. He can't get the amount he owes straight. He claims he's paid 9.3 million back, and the court disagreed with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    What in the name of god was the bank doing lending any two private individuals tens of millions. You wouldn't do that for an A-listed actor. I'd love to know where it went though, someone has that money now. There's plenty of tiger cash still out there.

Have to echo Doc Ruby wrote. What the hell were the bank doing lending so much?

Negligance, pure and simple, from the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

And it would amaze you the number of people who feel sorry for him almost, as if we depend on the likes of him, instead of the other way round. And some other people fear high flying lawmen- that they may come after you if you raise any questions.

Its amazing how many feel sorry for the bank, and blindly assume the bank can do no wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

BostonB wrote: »
    Its amazing how many feel sorry for the bank, and blindly assume the bank can do no wrong.

I do not feel sorry for any Bank, but for myself (and you) who will ultimately pick up the tabs. I did not cause this trouble, but I will end up paying for it in a big way, while the likes of O Donnell and others may just continue on at first signs of recovery. I never said he committed a crime, he was probably just greedy !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No matter what I say about the bank, you'll reply about O Donnell. Kinda got a one track thing going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Thats the second or third time you've come out with that? Where exactly is he asking for anyone to clean up his mess? He's already paid back over €9 million this year. I guarantee any of the proposals he has put forward will result in the full amount being paid back but to expect him to pay back the full €70+million with 24hrs notice is just stupid and unrealistic.

And pigs will fly! Don't look up, or you know what you'll get on your face.:):):)

That promise sounds just as convincing as "There's a cheque in the post!" ROFLMA :pac::pac::pac:

@ Snakeblood.

Quote:
    They struck an agreement with the bank, but this later broke down. They have told friends it was like "the shutters came down".
    He already made a deal with the bank which he failed to stick to the terms of. That's why the bank went to court over it. And the bank didn't decide he had to pay back 71.5 million immediately, the judge did.

How do we know what he told the bank or what the bank said to him (apart from he telling friends). I would be better inclined to believe that if he had turned up in court and said that on the record.

@ Snakeblood.

Quote:

How do we know what he told the bank or what the bank said to him (apart from he telling friends). I would be better inclined to believe that if he had turned up in court and said that on the record.

It strikes me that he's as much of the truth as makes him look good. I don't see how he'd profit by saying that they struck an agreement with the bank, it'd be better for him from a PR point of view if he said the bank just wouldn't talk to him at all. So given what he's apparently trying to achieve with the article, I'm inclined to believe they had an agreement. I'm also more inclined to believe he broke the agreement because he then paid them 9.3 million after that, which the article assumes is penalties from the bank.

Granted it's a lot of waffle from the article, but those are the bits that stick out at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭The Jaw

@ Snakeblood.

Quote:

How do you know it was not the Bank who renaged on the agreement. I know for a fact that there are a number of cases where the Bank make an agreement on certain terms. Then when a new Bank Manager comes in he wants the terms of repayment changed. ( As I have said here before, a lot of Bank employees are now judged and given bonuses on their recovery of monies as opposed to the old way of bonuses on lending. The cases that I know about, this is exactly what happened. The Manager feels he/she can get a small return in the short term, which looks good on his C.V and in his pocket, so he pushed for that as opposed to full return of monies in the long term, which is what O'Donnell is promising.

The Judge did NOT say that the money had to be repaid immediately. He does not care when or how it is repaid. It is the Bank who will have insisted on that.

• Advertisement

The Jaw wrote: »
    @ Snakeblood.

Quote:

How do you know it was not the Bank who renaged on the agreement. I know for a fact that there are a number of cases where the Bank make an agreement on certain terms. Then when a new Bank Manager comes in he wants the terms of repayment changed. ( As I have said here before, a lot of Bank employees are now judged and given bonuses on their recovery of monies as opposed to the old way of bonuses on lending. The cases that I know about, this is exactly what happened. The Manager feels he/she can get a small return in the short term, which looks good on his C.V and in his pocket, so he pushed for that as opposed to full return of monies in the long term, which is what O'Donnell is promising.

The Judge did NOT say that the money had to be repaid immediately. He does not care when or how it is repaid. It is the Bank who will have insisted on that.

How do they change the terms if there's a formal agreement? I presumed it was done on more than just a handshake basis?

Edit: Googling: one of his ideas was that they send clients to him for legal work.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0122/1224288086640.html
    Which seems a bit... weird.

Here's a bit where he sends a letter to the bank which the judge agrees is defamatory:
    Mr Gardiner said Mr O’Donnell had written to the bank last week making a number of allegations which the bank believed it was inappropriate to read in court because the claims were untrue and defamatory. Mr Justice Kelly said he had received a letter today from Mr O’Donnell and he believed the bank had acted correctly in not reading out in court the letter sent to it by Mr O’Donnell.

This is the second time they've had a judgement on the matter against them:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0305/1224291372080.html
    The bank claimed default of interest payments on various facilities and also alleged the couple had failed ultimately to advance acceptable proposals to address their indebtedness and that of their companies.

The bank had also claimed the couple, and companies in which they had shareholdings, had extensive additional borrowings of some €800 million with other financial institutions across several jurisdictions.

The defendants argued they had an arguable defence on various grounds, including that the bank had acted unfairly and unreasonably and in breach of fiduciary duty to them and should have given them a proper opportunity to service and refinance the various loan facilities.

Now, you can argue that the bank didn't give their plans to get out of debt enough credit, but I'm inclined to think that if the sample level was for the bank to give their non property investment business clients to support the property one, then the level of idea they had was not one I would invest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭The Jaw

How do they change the terms if there's a formal agreement? I presumed it was done on more than just a handshake basis?

I presume so also. Or else if it is a written agreement ( which I think is very unlikely), the Bank will include some vague exclusion clause in it. Something along the lines of " The lending Bank reserves the right to alter this agreement in the event of a change in circumstances on behalf of the borrower or lender". That type of thing, but the good aul Irish nod and a wink is most likely.

I do agree that it is a bit weird offering to do some of the Banks legal work. However from his point of view. If he is made a Bankrupt, he cannot be a Partner in a law practice anymore. Thus he has little chance of making any inroads into the debt. His only "asset" as such is his legal knowledge and practice, which is useless to the Bank in itself without O'Donnell hence that offer.

This is all my view from the outside looking in though, so it is probably all wrong!

The Jaw wrote: »

I presume so also. Or else if it is a written agreement ( which I think is very unlikely), the Bank will include some vague exclusion clause in it. Something along the lines of " The lending Bank reserves the right to alter this agreement in the event of a change in circumstances on behalf of the borrower or lender". That type of thing, but the good aul Irish nod and a wink is most likely.

I do agree that it is a bit weird offering to do some of the Banks legal work. However from his point of view. If he is made a Bankrupt, he cannot be a Partner in a law practice anymore. Thus he has little chance of making any inroads into the debt. His only "asset" as such is his legal knowledge and practice, which is useless to the Bank in itself without O'Donnell hence that offer.

This is all my view from the outside looking in though, so it is probably all wrong!

He bartering to do legal work for the bank -would that be chasing down people like himself ?

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00994/odonnell-estate-i_994933t.jpg

Not a bad pad in fairness- master bedroom 600 sq. ft - many shoe box apartments were just about that size, sold to unsuspecting buyers during time of El Celtic Tiger, and now in negative equity, and no one whinging for them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

He bartering to do legal work for the bank -would that be chasing down people like himself ?
    Banks as large as Bank of Ireland have their own professionals for that sort of thing, there is other work they could send his way. In fairness, it actually is a reasonably pragmatic solution, even if it is cheeky.

I see from todays Indo that some well known people invested in his company.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/former-ebs-chairmen-invested-with-odonnell-firm-2965946.html

The famous O Donnell was on Marian Finucane show this am, spoke as if he had a marble or a golf ball in his mouth ! Playing the victim, and said he could not get anyone to represent him in court , he tried about 11 law firms in all, but they were "all conflicted". Of course he could, with his vast experience have represented himself. Dont know what he is playing at here, whether he had due notice or not. But he also said as I have noted here, that ordinary Joe Soaps will pay for at end of day. Of course they will!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

They're very valid excuses.. I'm sick of people who don't know shlt automatically hating anyone who did well for themselves. We should hate him because he's a businessman?

Every dickhead in Ireland forgets that the whole world went through the shlt, not just Ireland. The banking system of the whole world tumbled, he's trying to sort out his debts and the bank isn't handling this the right way.. But what do you care ya begrudging know it all. We're supposed to feel sorry for homeowners and cry out for debt relief but once the person was once rich, fuk them.?

With all due respect chief, that's a little harsh. I have absolutely no time for those people who indulge in the sort of schadenfreude you're describing, but this accusation of begrudger that's thrown around all too often these days is really ridiculous. If I gamble a heap of money and win and keep it all to myself and then when I lose I expect you to pay my gambling debts, then you are perfectly within your rights to begrudge me the money you have been forced to expend to pay for my lifestyle. Why wouldn't you begrudge it to me? You were an uninterested innocent third party who is now significantly worse off due to my (and the lender's) reckless behaviour and greed.

As to feeling sorry for homeowners, I think we all have a natural sympathy for any young family (many of whom would have waited for ten years already for the bubble to burst) who simply wanted a home to live in and security of tenure. Had there been any reasonably priced starter homes available and they chose to borrow half a million I wouldn't have any sympathy for them either. In the same way as I have no sympathy for people who bought second homes or the people on €30,000 p.a who bought €30,000 cars. Is this too unusual/difficult a concept? I wouldn't like to see Mr.O'Donnell and his wife end up on the street either.

Sorry, unless I read the article wrong,which I may have done, I really can't see where you or others are coming up with this ridiculous garbage.

It seems obvious (from my reading), that Mr. O'Donnell already made proposals and firm commitments to the bank last March as to how he intended to service his loans. The banks agreed to these proposals and Mr.O'Donnell reneged on his commitments in July and again in November.
    Having done this twice, how can you possibly guarantee that he wouldn't do it a third time?

Also, where is your 24hrs notice coming from? Mr. O'Donnell,according to himself, is one of the top corporate lawyers, in the country. It seems laughable to believe he didn't understand the terms of his business loan. He probably wrote them!

Am I correct in saying that Marian said something about him contacting the show , if i am correct then he initiated the interview. So RTE is there to be used a tool by those who feel it may suit their agenda. Again I am just saying what is my recollection.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/celtic-tiger-poster-couple-faces-losing-palatial-home-2967011.html

I read in the Sindo today that O Donnell says this is corporate debt , not really his,and that he bought offices etc,and rented them to government. No doubt !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The human capacity for greed never ceases to amaze me.

What amazes me even more sometimes is the failure of the parties involved to grasp the concept that each individual is responsible for their own actions. I'd have expected a solicitor to have been aware of the legal implications of a failing business.

I expect the divorce lawyer vultures to start circling anytime soon.

Then again the banks have hardly covered themselves in glory either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Have to echo Doc Ruby wrote. What the hell were the bank doing lending so much?

Negligance, pure and simple, from the bank.

+1. And the self same bank managers who made the crazy decision to lend so much money foolishly got their bonus for doing so, are on big pensions and have not taken a hit at all. Something very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ghettogrl

it isn't just the rich that are suffering. if you want somebody to blame...blame the banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

ghettogrl wrote: »
    it isn't just the rich that are suffering. if you want somebody to blame...blame the banks.

And the regulator / central bank / government whose job was to regulate the banks etc

gigino wrote: »
    And the regulator / central bank / government whose job was to regulate the banks etc

of course the Banks are to blame as are so called regulators etc. But the likes of O Donnell with his vast legal experience should have known better. Maybe greed is the ultimate answer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ghettogrl

completely agree with gigino.

paddy, throughout this thread you consistently bring it back to this one situation. the fault lies with the banks etc. Perhaps o'donnell did make mistakes but let him try and fix it. he doesn't want to lose his house etc. why does it have to happen right now? whats wrong with giving him time to try and sort out the problem. He is also right when he said there are many more ppl in his situation. People are simply too embarrassed to say it.

Also..he provided employment through his dealings and paid tax to help us fund the country. whats so bad about that? yes he made some bad moves..but at least he tried.

paddy, throughout this thread you consistently bring it back to this one situation. the fault lies with the banks etc. Perhaps o'donnell did make mistakes but let him try and fix it. he doesn't want to lose his house etc. why does it have to happen right now? whats wrong with giving him time to try and sort out the problem. He is also right when he said there are many more ppl in his situation. People are simply too embarrassed to say it.

Also..he provided employment through his dealings and paid tax to help us fund the country. whats so bad about that? yes he made some bad moves..but at least he tried.

would you not agree he over reached himself. And given his position and background, he proably found it easier then you or I to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

+1
    Many people would be in the same position but on a smaller scale ie oweing thousands in the form of a mortgage.

One would argue that ultimately the borrower is at fault for not doing his/her financial homework correctly and asking themselves some what if questions like what if I'm laid off from work, or I become sersiously ill and unable to meet the repayments, etc

The bank is absolutely at fault here, and in other similiar situations eg. lending a mortgage of 500,000 euro to a hairdresser for an apartment.
    It was the banks money so therefore it is up to them to lend appropriately to individuals to make sure that they get their money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

of course the Banks are to blame as are so called regulators etc. But the likes of O Donnell with his vast legal experience should have known better. Maybe greed is the ultimate answer ?

O'Donnell was a solicitor, his wife was a doctor. If they had simply worked in their jobs they would have lived comfortable lives, never really being short of cash. Of course, that means they would have had to work long hours, and continue to do so until they reached (about) 60 years of age. They could have afforded to raise their children in comfort. Some people may have begrudged them their wealth of course, but only those people who begrudge anyone achieving more than themselves.

But they were not happy with such a life plan. They wanted more. They wanted real wealth. No harm in that, such aspirations are worthy if they lead to an honest path of acquisition.

The path they chose was to speculate in property. Unlike an artist who adds value to a lump of wood by crafting it into something beautiful and desirable, property speculators simply buy an asset (property) and hold it in the hope that when they choose to sell it they will get more than they paid (including interest payments) for it. That's quite a risk really, because in a normal market prices go up and down.

To increase the chances of the speculation yielding a sizeable profit, speculators need to acquire property on a scale that ensures the normal rules of the market are twisted in their favour. Hence if enough speculators acquire similar properties they can effectively set the price for it at sale, thereby driving up their profits. This is what happened in Ireland with office complexes, retail developments and eventually even housing estates. It was the "ordinary Joe/Josephine" who then had to pay inflated prices for their houses, inflated rents for their shops, etc while this speculation was rampant. Developers continued to build furiously, asking for increased prices in order to take their share of the bubble too. Many developers became speculators in their own properties, believing that this was the way to a faster profit than they could get from the honest path of turning stone, steel and wood into buildings.

The banks and their investors threw money onto this fire knowing exactly what it was, but fearing that if they did not extract their share of the profit somebody else would, which would leave them at a competitive disadvantage. The Regulator did not wish to get involved in the matter, preferring instead to play dumb and allow the vicious circle to continue because the resultant taxes were funding the country in the short-term and permitted a system of light taxation to continue.... much to the joy of the incumbent politicians.

One day the banks could not get hold of cash to throw onto the fire, and everyone started trying to pull their money out as quickly as they could.

Many people succeeded in getting some or all of their money out. The speculators who started it all could not, because the absence of cash in the market meant that Joe & Josephine could not borrow to pay those inflated prices for their homes.

The banks were left holding only the promise of repayments from the speculators, but those promises were based on the hugely over-valued property assets which by now could not be converted to cash because nobody could afford them.

The process of the bubble served only to transfer wealth from one large proportion of the community (house buyers, retailers, etc) to the smaller proportion of the community (speculators, banks, investors). No new value had ever been created by the speculators & investors; their lumps of wood, steel & stone were no different from when they had been bought by them. Nothing added but time, really.

So now as the bubble bursts and the piles of money unravel, how does it get re-distributed? Do Joe and Josephine get some of their cash back too?

No, in fact the middlemen (banks and investors) have their losses re-distributed to everyone, even those not involved in the game. O'Donnell, a speculator and one of the people who started the very fire that burned us is trying to avoid facing up to the risks he took when gambling his money at day one. In a fair and just society his wealth should be reduced to the level he would have had if he and his wife had simply worked in their jobs to earn their living, with perhaps some variation up or down as a gambler might have to expect. But instead he tries to hold onto the wealth he earned through no real work of his own, in the expectation that somebody else (most probably you and I) would pay off his losses.

I am not taking the communist position here. Like O'Donnell I am working a job that pays well, and when times were good I speculated a little by buying shares in companies that appeared to have a bright future. When my shares became worthless I accepted my losses and moved on. I had not borrowed to buy those shares; I just used my own savings. My family did not go hungry as a result because I had not gambled the money I would need to provide food and shelter for us. I would have been happy to take the profits had they come. I am equally happy to accept the losses, because they are mine.

O'Donnell and his ilk deserve no sympathy from us. They had more than most but wanted more than a person could spend in a lifetime of luxury. When that gamble failed we should expect them to behave responsibly and hand back the wealth to where they got it.

Z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Zen65 wrote: »
    But they were not happy with such a life plan. They wanted more. They wanted real wealth. No harm in that, such aspirations are worthy if they lead to an honest path of acquisition.

The path they chose was to speculate in property. Unlike an artist who adds value to a lump of wood by crafting it into something beautiful and desirable, property speculators simply buy an asset (property) and hold it in the hope that when they choose to sell it they will get more than they paid (including interest payments) for it...

To increase the chances of the speculation yielding a sizeable profit, speculators need to acquire property on a scale that ensures the normal rules of the market are twisted in their favour. Hence if enough speculators acquire similar properties they can effectively set the price for it at sale, thereby driving up their profits...
    Like O'Donnell I am working a job that pays well, and when times were good I speculated a little by buying shares in companies that appeared to have a bright future. When my shares became worthless I accepted my losses and moved on. I had not borrowed to buy those shares; I just used my own savings. My family did not go hungry as a result because I had not gambled the money I would need to provide food and shelter for us. I would have been happy to take the profits had they come. I am equally happy to accept the losses, because they are mine.

Now how, exactly, do you think speculation in equities is more honourable than speculation in property; since exactly the same principle applies to the one described in the first quotation box.

In fact, I'd imagine the O'Donnells actually out more effort into making their acquisitions (property) more appealing than the effort you ever put into the companies in which you had a share.
    O'Donnell and his ilk deserve no sympathy from us. They had more than most but wanted more than a person could spend in a lifetime of luxury. When that gamble failed we should expect them to behave responsibly and hand back the wealth to where they got it.
    You seem to be misunderstanding the position they are taking. They're saying the bank is behaving in an unreasonable manner and is not being pragmatic with the outstanding loan balance; do you think that is likely to have any foundation?

Advertisement