Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books to avoid like a bookworm on a diet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 izeult

Angela's ashes. Worst book I have ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 smooshmonster

iguana wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that book was written by a 12 year old.

Just checked, it was a 15 year old.

Yikes! I feel bad dissing the book now. It's a good effort for a 15-year-old.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yikes! I feel bad dissing the book now. It's a good effort for a 15-year-old.

If you didn't like it, you didn't like it. It might have been written by a 15 year old but it wasn't published by a 15 year old. A number of adults green-lighted it's publication, so really it's them who you are dissing.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sorifinh

Have to agree regarding any James Patterson books. I got some from my local club where people bring down books they have read to pass on. I couldn't bring myself to return them when I (didn't) finish them so as not to pass on the misery to other unsuspecting readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Kerouac's "On The Road". Drivel from start to finish.

"That's not writing, it's typing" - Truman Capote

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Kerouac's "On The Road". Drivel from start to finish.
    Seriously?
    "That's not writing, it's typing" - Truman Capote

There's a lot more to On The Road than Capote's infamous quote - I think he was just jealous.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4 David109

When God Was A Rabbit, by Sarah Winman

Recommended by a bookshop so gave it a go.

First half was fine and thought it might be a good read. Oh dear. Second half degenerated into sloppy - I know that's not a noun, I wish it were.

The Sex Scene was one and a half pages of excruciating I-think-I'll-slide-my-eyes-over-this-bit which, in fairness, may have been designed to put Blaze Mills and Boon in it's place but only managed to be embarrassing.

There were feisty females but no recognisable male figures I've ever met, which was annoying. Does this woman get out much?

Also, it was set in England 1950s to present and the language kept straying into modern American here and there, helping to undermine the whole thing.

So, the three choices.

Keep, 2nd hand/charity shop, or Compost Heap?

Compost Heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Hermy wrote: »
    Seriously?

There's a lot more to On The Road than Capote's infamous quote - I think he was just jealous.

I tried to give this book every chance possible, but in the end I gave up on it. It's one of the most monotonous books I've ever read. In fairness to Capote, I don't think he had much to be jealous about. I doubt that Kerouac could have written anything that comes even close to In Cold Blood.

Kerouac was a piss poor writer. The only reason he has any credibility is because he was part of the Beat Movement and is still considered to be part of the "cool set".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I tried to give this book every chance possible, but in the end I gave up on it. It's one of the most monotonous books I've ever read. In fairness to Capote, I don't think he had much to be jealous about. I doubt that Kerouac could have written anything that comes even close to In Cold Blood.

Kerouac was a piss poor writer. The only reason he has any credibility is because he was part of the Beat Movement and is still considered to be part of the "cool set".
    I'm a fan of Kerouac so naturally I disagree - I think his writing is fantastic and certainly goes way beyond merely typing as Capote would have us believe. Yes he is probably best known for his association with the Beat Generation but his writing is far from piss poor and is in my opinion a key part of the American literary canon.

Regarding Capote I haven't read him yet but the film staring Philip Seymour Hoffman didn't exactly paint him in a positive light. What are your own thoughts on Capote?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Anything by Will Self. Shockingly dull Oxbridge junkie bore marketed successfully as a clever interesting person. Nothing ever happens in his books. Nothing.

I completely agree! I think the idea of Will Self is really appealing but I find myself being consistently bored by his writing. I don't know why I keep going back... Although his collection of early articles, "Junk Mail", is excellent (but not fiction, I accept).

I would put "The Slap" by Christos Tsiolkas forward as one of the most tedious, unpleasant and boring things I've ever had the displeasure of coming across. It's utter sxxxxe! It came of no surprise when the BBC broadcast it as a series, though; it was clear that Tsiolkas had written it so that it could be translated to film easily (which I thought was a bit cynical from a novelist).

I also consider Michel Houellebec's "Atomised" and "Platform" grossly over-rated. Although, despite disliking the former I still read the latter.... so maybe it's my own fault!

• Advertisement

I read "On the Road" when I was about 14 and thought it was a real slog. In fact, I don't particularly enjoy any of the beat writers, including William Burroughs, Ginsberg, Bukowski, or Herbert Hunke.

Around the time of reading "On the Road", I came across an article by someone who claimed that Kerouac knocked it out in a marathon 48 hour writing session (or something like that) and remember thinking, "Well that's not really writing, is it?" (when you consider that Joyce would spend a day revising a single sentence's punctuation).

However, 14 years later, I've just heard a track from a Tom Waits album where he recites Buwokski's poem "Nivana" and I'm gonna to give the Beat writers another go.

In fact, what are people's opinions on Charles Bukowski? I've read the Chinanski trilogy ("Post Office", "Factotum" and "Women), his short story collections ("South of No North" and "Hot Water Music") and "Notes of a Dirty Old Man". While I enjoyed them as a teenager, I'm always surprised when I see adults on the train reading him. Perhaps I'm being unfair but I feel he's a writer for adolescents...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

wilkie2006 wrote: »

I would put "The Slap" by Christos Tsiolkas forward as one of the most tedious, unpleasant and boring things I've ever had the displeasure of coming across. It's utter sxxxxe! It came of no surprise when the BBC broadcast it as a series, though; it was clear that Tsiolkas had written it so that it could be translated to film easily (which I thought was a bit cynical from a novelist).

Oh, God, it was awful. I really don't get the kudos it was given. The use of multi-perspective was risky but to not have any interesting action to make the gambit worth it? A big disappointment. One of the few books I haven't finished. I gave up about halfway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Doors open- Ian Rankin
    It's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

In fact, what are people's opinions on Charles Bukowski? I've read the Chinanski trilogy ("Post Office", "Factotum" and "Women), his short story collections ("South of No North" and "Hot Water Music") and "Notes of a Dirty Old Man". While I enjoyed them as a teenager, I'm always surprised when I see adults on the train reading him. Perhaps I'm being unfair but I feel he's a writer for adolescents...

I've only read Ham on Rye so far, but I did really like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I really struggled with Moby Dick. Just couldn't get interested in it at all.

Man, I loved it! Call me Ishmael....what an all-engulfing yarn! It literally - pun intended -swallows you up!

Millicent wrote: »
    Oh, God, it was awful. I really don't get the kudos it was given. The use of multi-perspective was risky but to not have any interesting action to make the gambit worth it? A big disappointment. One of the few books I haven't finished. I gave up about halfway through.

I don't know why I finished it... I really don't. I admit that not finishing a book annoys me but still, it's so bad....

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I've only read Ham on Rye so far, but I did really like it.

Do you have any interest in Tom Waits? There's a few videos on Youtube of him reading Charles Bukowski's poems. I think they're really quite enjoyable...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKSJEv5wRF8&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Do you have any interest in Tom Waits? There's a few videos on Youtube of him reading Charles Bukowski's poems. I think they're really quite enjoyable...

I've heard a few of Bukowski's stuff recited by Tom Waits alright. I must try get into him more. I borrowed one of his albums, it's just the effort of putting it on my laptop.

A book that I read (quite a while ago now), but that I really do not get the fuss about is The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. The boy was just way too ignorant for his age. It just seemed a bit too much like he was using this disgustingly innocent child to pull at everyone's heartstrings. Maybe I was just a bit too old an audience for this book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bill Shock

I find everything by one of Ireland's most sacred of sacred cows Roddy "smug bastard" Doyle to be unreadable.

Sure some of his works have been turned into very enjoyable films or tv series but his books are garbage.

Oh, Play that Thing the second in his "Last Round-Up" trilogy is the only book i have ever given up on...after 40 pages I put it where it belonged...in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I don't know why I finished it... I really don't. I admit that not finishing a book annoys me but still, it's so bad....

Me too. I'm usually far to stubborn to let a book best me. :pac: Still, I just couldn't bring myself to get through it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

snow flower and the secret fan

what a load of nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 10 catherinej

A History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marian Lewycka - I read it after hearing several rave reviews!! Big mistake as it was one of the few books that I had to force myself to read

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Zooey wrote: »
    My contribution to the list is Follett's the Pillars of the Earth, impressive only by its sheer bulk (1000+ pages of utter tripe). That said, I finished it...

Oh my God! This is my favourite book of all time!

Caitlinn wrote: »
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind was a book I struggled through. The characters were one dimensional and uninteresting, the plot was uninspired and the style of writing was dull. Perhaps I got a bad translation but dear God - never again.

What??! I thought "Perfume" was brilliant!!!

I read this while travelling, too *cringe*. My contribution to the list is Follett's the Pillars of the Earth, impressive only by its sheer bulk (1000+ pages of utter tripe). That said, I finished it...

I haven't read this book so am not commenting on it specifically but I think it's incredible how many bad writers have such huge egos that they'll just write and write and write without any self-editing. In my view, you'd want to be writing something pretty impressive if you're going to exceed 300 pages (I'm not, for the record, someone who avoids long novels but I do get frustrated when I think a writer is taking the pi3s)

Has anyone read "Chavs: The Demonisation of the Working Class"? I'm reading it now and I'm not impressed (but, annoyingly, can't abandon it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

My contribution to the list is Follett's the Pillars of the Earth, impressive only by its sheer bulk (1000+ pages of utter tripe). That said, I finished it...

If you thought that was bad try reading its sequel.
    World Without End by Ken Follett. Just awful.. again 1000+ pages, and just a totally unsatisfying read. He does paint a good picture of medievil life, but size of the book is so needless. I finished reading it just for the sake of it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Oh my God! This is my favourite book of all time!

Ditto , best book I have everyread. The follow up Worlds End was equally was long, maybe too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Sorry this is a bit off topic but if you like Tom Waits you should also check out the 'God's Away on Business' video with the Cookie Monster. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭deem79

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My Sister is reading "When Irish guys are smiling" by Suzanne Supplee.

Sweet lord it's atrocious. She's been telling me all of the stupid Irish stereotypes in the book. Peader is spelt Pather and everything about it is just wrong. It just seems to be horribly researched by someone who has clearly never been to Ireland.

Advertisement