Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Christmas Quiz 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Q.1 The late Baron of Kinsaly(CJ Haughey) lived in a house designed by which famous architect?

Gandon Correct
    Q.2 What is this feature called?
    Baldongon castle Wrong
    baldongan.jpg

Q.3 Where in NCD would you find a part of Los Angeles?

Q.4 In 1913 the aviator Harry Hawker and his mechanic Kauper crashed off the coast of Loughshinny. What WW2 fighter plane did the aviation company Hawker later found build?
    Hawker Hurricane Correct

Q.5 Rockabill lighthouse was built of stone quarried where in NCD?
    Kinsealy Wrong

Q.6 What was the final destination port of The John Tayleur which was wrecked off Lambay in 1853?

Q.7 Who use to live at Swords Castle before it fell into decline?

Tayleurs Wrong
    Q.8 As you pass the old Corn Mill as you enter Rush at Whitestown a river runs under the road, what is the name of the small river that you pass over that use to power the Mill?
    Whitestown river Wrong

Q.9 In 1960 how many Tractors were in Rush? Clue Skerries & Holmpatrick had 18 & 65, Lusk 77biggrin.gif

Q.10 Where would you find this ruined church in NCD?
    Medieval_church_at_Hollywood_Great%2C_Co._Dublin_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1195345.jpg

Hollywood near Baldara Correct Lambay can be seen in the distance

Q.11 Which famous son of Swords died in Usk Prison in Wales?

Thomas Ashe Wrong

Q.12 Which country head of state lives in a palace designed by the same architect who designed Lambay Castle?

Q.13 Which local writer wrote the script for the film "Boy Eats Girl"?

Q.14 Who was shot and later died of his wounds in the Grand Hotel Skerries?

Q.15 What would the locals of Malahide insert into the waters of the holy well of St Sylvester's to purify it?

Q.16 Why was the 1926 Rugby game between Skerries and Balbriggan which was played in Skerries delayed after Kick Off?
    Tide came in Wrong

Not a bad attempt, I thought the second photo question would be more tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

DCN Christmas Quiz Part 2

Q.1 The late Baron of Kinsaly(CJ Haughey) lived in a house designed by which famous architect?

baldongan.jpg

Baldungan Church

Q.4 In 1913 the aviator Harry Hawker and his mechanic Kauper crashed off the coast of Loughshinny. What WW2 fighter plane did the aviation company Hawker later found build?

Milverton

Q.6 What was the final destination port of The John Tayleur which was wrecked off Lambay in 1853?
    Australia

Q.8 As you pass the old Corn Mill as you enter Rush at Whitestown a river runs under the road, what is the name of the small river that you pass over that use to power the Mill?

Q.9 In 1960 how many Tractors were in Rush? Clue Skerries & Holmpatrick had 18 & 65, Lusk 77:D

Q.10 Where would you find this ruined church in NCD?
    Medieval_church_at_Hollywood_Great%2C_Co._Dublin_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1195345.jpg

Q.12 Which country head of state lives in a palace designed by the same architect who designed Lambay Castle?

Q.15 What would the locals of Malahide insert into the waters of the holy well of St Sylvester's to purify it?
    Brown Envelopes;)

Q.16 Why was the 1926 Rugby game between Skerries and Balbriggan which was played in Skerries delayed after Kick Off?
    Ball burst. Someone had to drive to Balbriggan to get another

baldongan.jpg

Baldungan Church

Milverton

Australia

Derek Landy of Skullduggery fame?

LeoB wrote: »

baldongan.jpg

Baldungan Church Correct,do most call it the castle the actually castle stood beside the church and it no longer remains.

Milverton Correct

Australia Nearly there but I need a more specific answer.

Derek Landy of Skullduggery fame? Correct

Correct

Have to admit I always knew it as Baldungan Castle until someone on here told me it was the church and the castle was built beside it but no longer visable.

Great idea for a quiz Cardinal Richelieu, As I head off to try find a few questions to put in the mix.

Oh on the Los Angeles question I have seen a few road signs from L. A in Rush:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Balbriggan

• Advertisement

Can't say I thought of that answer............what's in Balbriggan that is a part of LA?:D

Can't say I thought of that answer............what's in Balbriggan that is a part of LA?:D

Cant wait for the answer to this:D

There are quite a few actors about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Part of the set of The Godfather is in De Bruins pub in Balbriggan. Tenuous enough link!! Don't think the movie was set in or filmed in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

What about ArdLA, outside Skerries....?

What about ArdLA, outside Skerries....?

Nope. Clue: think of an area of LA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Nope. Clue: think of an area of LA

Hollywood?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Q8. Besides Dublin Airport were else in NCD can you land a plane on land?

Ballyboughal, one of the farmers between Ballyboughal and the Naul had a runway on their land , I remember him landing and taking off in his plane when I lived out there circa 1990. Not sure if it's still there now though.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Hollywood?

Correct

The Muppet wrote: »
    Q8. Besides Dublin Airport were else in NCD can you land a plane on land?

Ballyboughal, one of the farmers between Ballyboughal and the Naul had a runway on their land , I remember him landing and taking off in his plane when I lived out there circa 1990. Not sure if it's still there now though.

It still has a listing on Ourairports

http://www.ourairports.com/airports/EIBA/pilot-info.html

and a Private Charter service offered from the Aerodrome here so it seems to be operational.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It still has a listing on Ourairports

http://www.ourairports.com/airports/EIBA/pilot-info.html

and a Private Charter service offered from the Aerodrome here so it seems to be operational.
    It's definitely operational - I saw a light aircraft taking off when cycling past one evening last year

Just tidying up the outstanding questions

Q.6 What was the final destination port of The John Tayleur which was wrecked off Lambay in 1853? LeoB was correct in saying Australia but I need the Port

Q.9 In 1960 how many Tractors were in Rush? Clue Skerries & Holmpatrick had 18 & 65, Lusk 77biggrin.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Harry Boland

RobFowl wrote: »
    Harry Boland

Correct

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

? Richard Coleman

? Richard Coleman

Correct

• Advertisement

Melbourne

India's President

Eels :eek:

Melbourne

India's President

Eels :eek:

All correct

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Based on this thread, I know flip all about NCD. :/

Cardinal R,

Was speaking with an old Rush farmer about the stream at Whitestown.

He says that he knew this as either Brides stream or Jones stream.

Ring any bells with you ??

Cardinal R,

Was speaking with an old Rush farmer about the stream at Whitestown.

He says that he knew this as either Brides stream or Jones stream.

Ring any bells with you ??

No rings, do the farm house near is Jones, your going to have to find an older farmer:D Are you sure he isn't a blow in from Skerries? Some defected a while back.

No rings, do the farm house near is Jones, your going to have to find an older farmer:D Are you sure he isn't a blow in from Skerries? Some defected a while back.

Was back onto my old farmer pal and he reckons the only other watercourse out that was is the Baleally stream that runs to Rogerstown from Newhaggard.

He said that this is the only other name he knows for any other rivers in that area....

Was back onto my old farmer pal and he reckons the only other watercourse out that was is the Baleally stream that runs to Rogerstown from Newhaggard.

He said that this is the only other name he knows for any other rivers in that area....

Ok going to give the answer to this one and give you a Correct for your previous answer. I picked this question because the name for that stream isn't listed on Google maps :D Say the name "The Mash" and see if that rings bells with him. I googled the two previous names you gave me and they listed Jones and Bride stream on Wiki but anyone I know of a certain advanced age call it The Mash.( I suspect the name might have something to do with a corn mill process)

How is he on tractors in Rush in 1960? :D More of a closest guess question.

I give up on the tractors......

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

109?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I give up on the tractors......
    Was this one of them?

... and is that you driving it Cardinal Richelieu?:D

Advertisement