Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft in a college assignment.

Options
  • 14-12-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭

I have to do a researched report for a college assignment, and I have chose to do it on the sport(hobby?) of airsoft. Do people think this is a bit of a sore subject to write about? I just want to take peoples views on board because the examiner will more than likely see it from the same perspective.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I fail to see how it could possibly be a sore subject to write about. Why do you think it would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

As to how how somebody could see the sport in the wrong light, and think its just a few lads with 'pellet guns'. Obviously im not going to put it like that in the report I was just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

i do not see it as a 'sore' subject, but i do not see it as a great subject due to the nature of the hobby as people view of grown men running around in a field playing soldiers can take over, we're not the most photogenic past time

it all really comes down to judging your audience and the type of assignment it is, focusing on the large international events in Europe is better than a few guys down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Getting good credible sources/refrences could be a problem. Is it an academic essay?

Puding wrote: »
    i do not see it as a 'sore' subject, but i do not see it as a great subject due to the nature of the hobby as people view of grown men running around in a field playing soldiers can take over, we're not the most photogenic past time

it all really comes down to judging your audience and the type of assignment it is, focusing on the large international events in Europe is better than a few guys down the road
    I am talking about how airsoft is good as a team building exercise, how it helps encourage young people to get fit if they do not like other sports and stuff like that. Its basically just a report on the sport of airsoft itself, how it started and how it makes jobs with the number of sites and shops. Thanks for the help lads, and I have mentioned the international events along with the national events in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Surely it can only be seen in a poor light in you present it in such a fashion
    You are the author and so the sole responsibility as to how it is portrayed rests on your shoulders
    You can put whatever slant/bias on it that you like, this is called journalism as is done by the media on a daily basis

So should you choose to go ahead with the idea and I think that it could work for you as it is a bit from the main stream which should work in your favour as most would probably have chosen soccer
    If you do then please be good to the rest of your fellow airsofters and show us in a good light as honest players and upright citizens who enjoy a sport that generates revenue for the economy and go about the business in a law abiding manner

Personally I say go for it

DeBurca wrote: »
    Surely it can only be seen in a poor light in you present it in such a fashion
    You are the author and so the sole responsibility as to how it is portrayed rests on your shoulders
    You can put whatever slant/bias on it that you like, this is called journalism as is done by the media on a daily basis

So should you choose to go ahead with the idea and I think that it could work for you as it is a bit from the main stream which should work in your favour as most would probably have chosen soccer
    If you do then please be good to the rest of your fellow airsofters and show us in a good light as honest players and upright citizens who enjoy a sport that generates revenue for the economy and go about the business in a law abiding manner

Personally I say go for it
    Cheers DeBurca, I showed both the advantages and disadvantages of the sport to show less bias, and you definitely are right most people did go with soccer so I hope this intrigues the examiner a bit because it is different

Cheers for the help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

Damo,

As a working academic I think you are picking something that will likely draw attention - this is actually a good thing. Make sure though to not let your own biases creep in and adopt a critical perspective. Not sure what you are writing this for but make sure you have clarity around a couple of key themes. The literature should help you to illuminate those themes, even if it is not airsoft focused e.g. if you are contrasting young people's experience of airsoft vs competetive sport in how they relate to the adults involved, the literature can not doubt illuminate the latter while your actual data could speak to the former.

Oh and don't waffle. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

I think it is also good to be critical of your own hobby. Do not be afraid to highlight the problems and issues with airsoft and the dangers, be critical but offer positives and solutions, this can go over will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

swiftblade wrote: »
    Getting good credible sources/refrences could be a problem. Is it an academic essay?

I'm not sure what your studying OP or what the exact nature of the report, but if its an academic college piece, you can't just quote "The lads on Boards said" or from "playing a few skirmishes" You need references and again depending on your course / lecturer, you can't use websites such as Boards.ie and Wikipedia.

Personally I would avoid writing about something your heavily involved in. Not that I'm saying Airsoft is a bad topic, but writing about something you are passionate about in a academic setting can spell disaster i.e. You assume the reader is as passionate as you are and omit / skip the details.

As much as it pains me to say it, if your going to write about a sport, maybe write about a more mainstream, developed sport. (And I mean that in terms of references, not diminishing the progress etc of airsoft even in the past 2 years, let alone worldwide)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your studying OP or what the exact nature of the report, but if its an academic college piece, you can't just quote "The lads on Boards said" or from "playing a few skirmishes" You need references and again depending on your course / lecturer, you can't use websites such as Boards.ie and Wikipedia.

This ^^.

OP, can you answer the above with "I have credible, verifiable citations". If the answer is not a very resolute and convinced 'yes', walk away from the idea.

Thanks for the replies lads, im in a PLC course so the assignments arent marked as hard as they would in a level 7/8 course, I talked about airsoft because its not the same as the usual football subject and the examiner might be a bit intrigued by it. As I said I talked about the advantages and disadvantages, I didnt show bias towards the sport just because I play it, I did show how it could be seen in a bad light and how it helps create jobs etc.

Again thanks for the replies but this is already handed up, dont worry I didnt describe the sport as old men running around a field and I didnt skip the details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads, im in a PLC course so the assignments arent marked as hard as they would in a level 7/8 course, I talked about airsoft because its not the same as the usual football subject and the examiner might be a bit intrigued by it. As I said I talked about the advantages and disadvantages, I didnt show bias towards the sport just because I play it, I did show how it could be seen in a bad light and how it helps create jobs etc.

Again thanks for the replies but this is already handed up, dont worry I didnt describe the sport as old men running around a field and I didnt skip the details :)

When will ya kno how u got on and any chance of a copy of the report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Yeah, let us know how it worked out for you and we'd love to read it if you don't mind sharing it. :)

Advertisement