Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Maya knew about fossils

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It seems the ancient Mayans' origin of life story has far more basis in reality than those of *some*.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Neolithic man collected fossils as trinkets/unusual objects. Neandertals may have done the same, though the evidence is sparse though interesting.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The ancient/classical Greeks were also avid fossil collectors, seeing the bones of extinct creatures as those of the monsters and heroes from their legends.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    The ancient/classical Greeks were also avid fossil collectors, seeing the bones of extinct creatures as those of the monsters and heroes from their legends.

So were the ancient Chinese with their "dragon bones". What makes the maya case interesting though is that they actually interpreted them as being remains of marine creatures that lived in a remote time before humans existed!

I recall watching a documentary about one particular group of native Americans (I forget their name) that identified ichthyosaur remains as being from an ancient race of 'thunder fish' or some such which lived ages ago and were wiped out by some sort of cataclysm.
    Apologies for the vagueness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IIRC some Native American legends explained dino and other extinct large bones as creatures of the gods that ran along the top of rainclouds making the noise of thunder, who then fell to earth when the clouds parted.

The various Inuit tribes of Siberia explained preserved mammoth bones as a huge mole like creature that died instantly when sunlight hit them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    I recall watching a documentary about one particular group of native Americans (I forget their name) that identified ichthyosaur remains as being from an ancient race of 'thunder fish' or some such which lived ages ago and were wiped out by some sort of cataclysm.
    Apologies for the vagueness.

I think I know what you're talking about. They called the sea monsters "unktehila" and said that they lived alongside thunderbirds (!) in ancient times. I remember reading a Nat Geo magazine in which the reporter took an old Native American chief to a museum (the chief had never been out of the reservation I believe) and he quickly identified the mounted mosasaurs and plesiosaurs as "unktehila".

Advertisement