Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Clearpreso wrote: »

6421784609_35e8d31627.jpg
    Unidentified flying object on Killiney hill

Probably just a Sparrowhawk, but I would be interested to see the picture in its original size.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

Heres the original (the largest size flickr would allow anyway) http://www.flickr.com/photos/clearpreso/6424390331/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Good luck finding the bird!

Clearpreso wrote: »
    Heres the original (the largest size flickr would allow anyway) http://www.flickr.com/photos/clearpreso/6424390331/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Good luck finding the bird!

Thanks. I'd be 90% certain that it is a Sparrowhawk based on the wing shape and the general impression of its size. As a side note, I have regularly seen Sparrowhawks soaring over Killiney Hill, while Buzzard and Red Kite have been seen from here in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

My favourite is the Kestrel up there... which I am yet to see when I have my camera with me :-( Great spot up there. I am determined to get a photo of one of the few remaining elusive rabbits. Saw one there, was about to take a wonderful pic, camera ran out of battery...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Saw my first ever treecreeper today. Wouldn't have had a clue what it was if it wasn't for this thread:D. Amazing to watch it run along the 'underside' of the tree branches :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

I was AWOL for a few weeks, sorry to loose LB as a Mod.

Some photos from today and yesterday.

Yellowhammer....never saw one during winter before..a first for me..
    yh4f.jpg

yh5p.jpg

Little Egret..
    img1575v.jpg

Grey Heron..
    img1721rx.jpg

Cormorant in the evening..
    img1670i.jpg

Pintail Duck with Black Tailed Godwits..
    img1687t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Linnet?

7S5D96651.jpg

whyulittle wrote: »
    Linnet?

7S5D9665.jpg

Yes. Note the conical grey beak, limited streaking on the breast and weak supercilium. Unusual to see one perched in a conifer.

It wasn't deep inside a plantation or anything like that - just a couple of trees beside the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Apologies for the bad photos, purely for identification so cropped to the death,
    I thought this might be a Hen Harrier but I didnt notice black tips to the wings when it was flying, it was flying very erratically twisting and swooping, maybe Short Eared Owl??
    NewcastleandWicklowEdited-4.jpg

This fella was sitting in a tree for ages, and because of the dark facial markings I am thinking Hobby, any suggestions gratefully received!
    NewcastleandWicklowEdited-6.jpg

And the last little fella, Winchat?? Cant seem to find anything with such a pronounced eye stripe, ??
    NewcastleandWicklowEdited-24.jpg

Thanks!:)

• Advertisement

(1) Probably a Hen Harrier based on facial profile, which would be a flat disk on a SE Owl.
    (2) Female/immature Kestrel. A Merlin would show some cross-barring on the side of the breast.
    (3) Female/immature Reed Bunting.

Edit: Hobby would show a much more defined black stripe below and behind the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

First and second shot looks like Sparrow Hawk,I think.
    Third one is, female Reed Bunting.

I'd definitely go with HH for No.1.

The females don't the really obvious black wing tips that the males do.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Is the ring around the head on top picture not an indicator of a short eared owl.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

bogtreader wrote: »
    Is the ring around the head on top picture not an indicator of a short eared owl.

Female Harrier's have ring markings like that.

image from google
    20040930104231.jpg

Hen Harriers have a band behind the head too.

7S5D4896.jpg

7S5D7029.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Great pic above.

That's what I saw years ago on the M4 near London. Short stocky neck with the bar just like pic 1. Only now identifying it :)

(edit) M4 corridor is great for Kites and Buzzards. I'm blessed that I haven't caused an accident.

:) Cool stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

Some pictures from Blessington Street Basin, Dublin. Loads of Mandarin, Wood Duck and White-Cheeked Pintails about the place.

Tufted Duck:
    6461390109_1bedc866c7_z.jpg

White-Cheeked Pintail:
    6461391479_456ce58422_z.jpg

6461390845_d9bb0a18e6_z.jpg

Mandarin:
    6461393975_e04f040957_z.jpg

6461390559_60faf6900c_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Are these ducks at liberty or pinioned?

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

Are these ducks at liberty or pinioned?

Mark

I think most of the ducks there were capable of flight. The pintails certainly were, as I've got a crap picture of them:
    dscf7454r.jpg

Those Pintails are very pretty, dont think I have
    ever seen one!

Those pintail are White-cheeked pintail Anas bahamensis

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Goldfinches taking over the feeder :)
    Time%252520Lapse%252520008.JPG

@ FR You should get a proper holder for the fat balls, the little birds
    can get their feet tangled in the net especially if they are panicked by
    a passing Sparrowhawk.....easy pickings :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

I agree about the netting on the fat balls. Birds have been known to lose their legs in those nets. I don't know why they are allowed sell the fat balls in those nets...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Mandarins, Bushy Park
    E9EA8DED7C244383B099BBF003F2712B-0000314502-0002650834-00800L-69C55BFAC2E64BAB942A99B723BAE3C7.jpg

Hoping a bit of bread will be left behind.
    C9FB5E38115B4D7AA7D6C82B5797EE0D-0000314502-0002661159-00800L-E6B4184D6CE54EE5BEECB88D6FD576A7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I live near Bushy Park. I didn't realize you could find Mandarins there. Must go and have a look! Thanks for great photos, Bernard!

It's amazing to see Goldfinches on fat balls but I'm sure they are picking out seeds.

Yesterday the Goldfinches in my garden went through two 6 port seeders filled with chopped sunflower hearts

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Broad-winged Hawk, picture taken by my wife when we visited Everglades National Park a few weeks ago.

Hawk3.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement