Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't understand football

Options
  • 08-12-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

I don't understand football.

I understand the concept, I understand the rules, I understand the need for tribal teams
    to pit their skills and prowess against rivals. However I do not understand what
    football is today. How does a person chose a team to support? Why that team?
    What affiliation do you as an individual have to that team, be it Man U or Liverpool or Wolves or whatever.
    I understand football evolved from thousands of villagers pusing a dead pig around for a week
    trying to get it into the neighbouring village to a structured form that we see today.
    I understand supporting a local team made up of local players doing the best they can.
    I do not understand the fanatic supporting a team made up of players who have absolutely no affiliation or
    history associated with the team or locality that they are playing for.
    I do not understand the overpaid, overpampered and overarrogant players that are supposedly the top of the
    skills pyramid.
    Football is pure business that sometimes a bit of sport will bubble to the surface.

So - who do you support and why?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't understand your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

What are you getting at exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

It's OK, you're probably a woman - or perhaps have a touch of the ghey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Oldham Athletic, because i was born and raised in the town. The way it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

basically its a load of millionaire perfume salesmen running around a pitch before falling over and crying. then they all have a bath together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

stoneill wrote: »

So - who do you support and why?

I used to support West Ham United.

I haven't done so for many years. For essentially the reasons you provided. And you know what? I don't miss it.

You don't understand it: just say no.

Who's Wayne Rooney anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I literally cant tell you a single player for Man Utd or Liverpool, I'd have to go look it up.

it seems to be the default go to conversation started for men "savage match last night" err....I'll bet it was, go local (or in most cases foreign) sports team!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The aforementioned pig. Fascinating how football has evolved innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

stoneill wrote: »
    How does a person chose a team to support? Why that team?
    What affiliation do you as an individual have to that team, be it Man U or Liverpool or Wolves or whatever.

For an Irish person it depends on who is the most successful, therefore Man U and Liverpool have the biggest support....and Wolves don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

everyone in Manchester is a Man City fan
    everyone in Ireland is a Man Utd fan

Go figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I used to support West Ham United.

I haven't done so for many years. For essentially the reasons you provided. And you know what? I don't miss it.

You don't understand it: just say no.

Shrek Balls-for-brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

For an Irish person it depends on who is the most successful, therefore Man U and Liverpool have the biggest support....and Wolves don't.

I think you'll find that the more successful a football team are, the more support they will have. It's not a uniquely Irish thing.

Also one of the main reasons Liverpool & United have such big support here is that they are both clubs with a long history of having Irish players on their books - especially Man United.

That comes from the fact that many Irish people emigrated to Liverpool & Manchester and ended up playing at those clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ReallyWiggy

OP - you are dead right. Football in its current state is a complete joke and even as a spectacle is now just plain boring unless you really enjoy watching cheats at work...

To add to your own 'I don't understand' - I don't understand rioters protesting the Queens visit while wearing Liverpool and Celtic jerseys......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭CuriousOne

Not a single interesting conversation/thread in this entire forum.

I was expecting more on a Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

CuriousOne wrote: »
    Not a single interesting conversation/thread in this entire forum.

I was expecting more on a Thursday.

Now's your big chance, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I used to support Liverpool back in the day, but I got kind of bored of the whole football thing. I supported them because in the 80s they were the best team. I'm not sure this is always people's reason: I know a couple of West Ham fans, an Everton fan and a Manchester City fan (a fan from the late 50s). My interest extends to computer games and the odd international match.

It's interesting how easy it is to continue a conversation with my neighbour (whose small-talk default is football) by spouting a whole list of banal cliches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

The football "experience" is basically an opportunity for emotionally repressed men to release their emotions, to bond with other men and to re-live their feelings of being a child.

Any supporter to tells you it's any more sociologically significant than that is lying to you or more likely to themself.

The game itself however is still the best thing out there in sports imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭CuriousOne

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Now's your big chance, go for it.

It can't be left to me all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

You just described most popular sports and interests.
    I love football. For reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

fedor.2. wrote: »
    What are you getting at exactly

I think he's talking about soccer. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

bla bla english teams bla.

YNWA!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I love football as a sport; it's such a pure and simple sport that anyone anywhere can play (and it's very democratic as you don't need lots of money for equipment), but it takes so much skill to master.

But I haven't watched football in ages as I hate the players' attitudes, bar a few notable exceptions like Messi.
    They're spoiled brats with no sense of fair play or commitment. Watching the last World Cup was a chore as so few of the players seemed to really care about playing.
    I don't get how you couldn't be immensely excited to play for your country in the World Cup (though the young German team looked like a lot of them were, and they played some good football).
    I also couldn't believe when Irish players said they would've committed the same handball that Thierry Henry did if they were in the same position.

I've also come to despise the politics surrounding football, with the obvious cronyism, corruption and corporate toadying that goes on.

It's still a beautiful game, but the world of football is rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

everyone in Manchester is a Man City fan
    everyone in Ireland is a Man Utd fan

Go figure

I'd say more people loathe United than love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Football is the greatest game on earth to play, I don't care how old you are or if you only play 5-a-side or even a kickabout on the green you still get that buzz from sticking one in the top corner.

And I love watching it cos for all the diving, fouling and cheating it still serves up magic moments like some in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056357775

It's the most popular sport in the world.....the majority of us can't be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

You know they have a league in Ireland now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You know they have a league in Ireland now.

I don't understand League of Ireland football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

CuriousOne wrote: »
    It can't be left to me all the time.
    Indeed. We wouldn't want to put any unnecessary strain on the servers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement