Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draytek 2820 Setup on Next Gen Broadband - Tech Question

Options
  • 05-12-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

I have a number of people using Draytek 2820's and who have gotten next gen broadband from eircom

The problem is that the drayteks dont seem to be able to communicate properly

If you arent familiar with them, drayteks are a higher end modem router, and as such are highly configurable

The DSL settings in them are generally the same with the following exceptions:

Modulation: mixed Mode (with various options, G.DMT, Adsl 2 Annexm, Adsl 2+ AnnexM and others)
    MTU: 1442 (default with 1492 max)

I have a 12mb/2mb next gen line that will only sync at 7/1. This i have been told is down to using the MultiMode setting, as the Modulation is automatically set to G.DMT (which has the max speeds of 7/1)

I was told to set the modem to use ADSL 2 Annex M, however while the DSL sync's (but not always) the PPPOE Session never completes.

The really frustrating thing is that i have Netopia 2247's working fine on these next gen lines.

Has anyone got any information that might help. My current workaround is the netopia in passthrough to the draytek, but this is just a workaround, i want my drayteks working!!

Eircom support are not very supportive. I **** you not "Reset your modem" was a response. The Draytek support is excellent, they were able to give me a whole host of tech info on the different modulations, but as they are based in UK, have no hands on.

If someone has a relatively highend modem router on Next Gen broadband, can you please let me know what you full settings are, right down to MTU size, as i have found that setting 1492 helped on one line, but did nothing on another

No time wasters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Drazhar wrote: »
    Eircom support are not very supportive. I **** you not "Reset your modem" was a response.

No ISP will ever support a modem that they don't supply, and are not familiar with. They simply can't, and expecting them to is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Draytek offer a variety of firmwares to optimise compatibility and sync speeds with the various DSLAMS used by different ISPs. It is certainly worth trying the different versions.

For example draytek.co.uk offer 3 versions though I believe there are at least 3 further versions that have traditionally been available, possible from the Oz site or the US one.

However, this version is recommended for ADSL2 lines; http://draytek.co.uk/support/download/v2820_337_2471201_A.zip

Use the highest MTU selectable too...

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

bkehoe:
    Yeah ive tried the various firmwares, including teh alternative one that draytek recommended. Cheers, but still, no joy

jor el, you clearly didnt read my whole post
    [HTML]No time wasters[/HTML]

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

bkehoe:
    Yeah ive tried the various firmwares, including teh alternative one that draytek recommended. Cheers, but still, no joy

What jor el said is correct though he is not wasting time. Eircom only have to provide support for the modem they gave you. It's up to you to get your own one working. Eircom techs wouldnt know the specs or config details of any other modem.

My suggestion is look at the configs on your eircom supplied modem and regards the Draytek read the manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

bkehoe:

I answered a part of your post, so you are the one with comprehension problems. Also, you don't get to decide what people reply to. This isn't your thread or your forum. If you don't want answers you don't like, then don't post at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭brimur69

Drazhar, did you get this working? I have a 2830 and having a similar issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

I have a 2830 at home on vodafone 15mb. Ive left it in mixed mode and its working fine.
    Its modulation is adsl2+ g.992.5

Try a standard modem and see if it syncs at the expected speed and modulation.

Update the draytek

Im afraid i did nothing special at home!

Advertisement