Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Irritations - First World Problems

Options
  • 06-11-2011 12:15am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thread shamelessly robbed from inspired by other college forums...

What are the little things about DIT that annoy you.

For me, it has to be the Elevators in Aungier Street, the bloody things will cut your arms off if you're not quick enough.

Also, the trek of going up 5 flights of stairs when above elevators are jammed with people to get to a lecture. A couple of times of considered saying Feck it. I don't need accounting today! Why can't all my lectures be on the same floor. Better yet, same room!

Anyway, I open the floor to your DIT Irritations! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Thread shamelessly robbed from inspired by other college forums...

What are the little things about DIT that annoy you.

For me, it has to be the Elevators in Aungier Street, the bloody things will cut your arms off if you're not quick enough.

Also, the trek of going up 5 flights of stairs when above elevators are jammed with people to get to a lecture. A couple of times of considered saying Feck it. I don't need accounting today! Why can't all my lectures be on the same floor. Better yet, same room!

Anyway, I open the floor to your DIT Irritations! :D

Student Services centres closing for 1.5 hours from 12.45 to 2.15 when for many people that's the only time window they can go. If it was 1-2 you could miss a few minutes off a lecture but with the extra half hour you'd miss the whole thing in a 1hr!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭overshoot

they still cant get more than a dribble out of the 2 water fountains in the bolton street canteen.
    general lack of an ability to plan for the future in any way... eg the smoking shed competition less than 6 months ago followed by the ban and ripping out of the old shed.
    the milling machine which wasnt used for 2 years because the instructions were in italian
    the amount of architecture books in mountjoy library...
    all porters (except donal)
    health and safety bull**** (i could use a bandsaw when i was 12 in secondry school for god sake, 10 years older but now i cant!) just left me sign something that says if i cut my arm of its my problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

F**kers who don't put their rubbish in the bin downstairs (Aungier St) :mad:

Some of the computers in the Libuary have serious problems too. It's like you're on dial-up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Controversial, but, the bloody Smoking Nazi. Let me enjoy my cigarette in peace!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Cathal Brugha canteen still has no drinking water. You either have to buy a bottle or get them to pour a cup of tepid tap water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Cathal Brugha canteen still has no drinking water. You either have to buy a bottle or get them to pour a cup of tepid tap water.

Cathal Brugha canteen in general, for a catering college the food is bloody awful. Also getting charged different prices depending on who is serving you really annoys me.

One fellow there tried to charge 20c for the tap water, but fortunately another member of canteen staff (its Campbells catering by the way) over-ruled him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

The teeny lift in Auinger St. closed on my head today.Dear god owww!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

The computer labs in Bolton St.! Leaving your bag on your seat and your account logged in while you go somewhere else isn't on, FFS! It's bloody impossible to get a computer some days because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Cathal brugha street toilets. Firstly there's only two girls ones in the entire cathal brugha street side (I know there more in Marlborough street). It's so annoying being in the library on the third floor to have to go the whole way down to the ground floor, get to the ground floor ones find they're out of order then you've to either go to the basement changing room ones or to marlborough street ones. A quick toilet break from studying ends up turning into a quest for a working toilet.

It's not that difficult ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

- People leaving their chicken roll cartons (from the shop across the road from Aungier Street entrance) on tables or beside keyboards in computer rooms.

- The fact that the canteen on the first floor stops serving dinners at half 2. There would be no harm in keeping it open an hour later.

- People congregating and talking inside the door and around the reception of the library.

- Seems to be problems with the internet connection speed lately, even on newer computers on the 4th floor.

Stop being so lazy taking elevators and use the stairs :D Seriously though elevators are meant to be germ factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭paul4green

THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS MY COMMUNICATIONS LECTURER.

<snip> GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Horrible Slow Wifi

Not enought laptop charging sockets in the library

Wireless Printing Not working

Not working water fountains all over the colllege, the slow on in the canteen also. I think the only ones working now are ones beside SU canteen and exam office.

Ban on smoking (in an open area) on college grounds. Kick us all out on the road to get squished by cars. I also love the way they say use dedicated smoking area when there is none, or none indicated.

No sterilizing hand cleaner (wouldnt be a problem if the staff would actually clean the greast door handles for a change)

Everyone being on facebook in the library and having a nightmare of a time to get a computer to print stuff out. Everyone in the labs are playing games or watching videos.

Lack of care from the Library staff regarding to noise levels in the library. People seem to always come in to the library for a chat about their last night adventures in coppers rather than study.

I think thats it for now. Ive spoken with numerous people on numerous occasions about all of these. Tbh neither of them including SU ever do anything about it. Ive given up at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

People stopping for a big ol' chat in the middle of the ground floor corridor in Aungier St., it's possibly the busiest route in the college and blocking it up is just idiotic. Same goes for waiting for a class and blocking it up. Be aware and have some consideration for other people trying to get to class.

The knob who is hacking the Aungier St. computers at the moment. Don't complain about the college having slow internet, just hunt down the dick who's deliberately screwing over his fellow students.

+1 on the canteen. It's gotten worse over the years, it used to be a reliable enough spot for some mediocre food, now it's either closed or they've run out of food.

People using course-specific rooms... there's no need to use a high-end editing PC for your facebook needs. If you're not in the course that's written on the door and you've got in because someone left the door open, maybe you should take the hint that you're not meant to be there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Fewcifur wrote: »
    People using course-specific rooms... there's no need to use a high-end editing PC for your facebook needs. If you're not in the course that's written on the door and you've got in because someone left the door open, maybe you should take the hint that you're not meant to be there.
    Empty computer rooms that are locked for course specific reason. There is no need to have 20 computers set aside for a course if there are just 2 of them in there most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Empty computer rooms that are locked for course specific reason. There is no need to have 20 computers set aside for a course if there are just 2 of them in there most of the time.

They're course specific because they're spec'ed for the course and have specific programs for the course. If you want to go on Facebook, research something on the internet or type something on a word document, then you've got a whole college of computers to use. Most specialized programs are only licensed in the course computer room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Facebook should just be blocked from all computers (but not wifi, if necessary/possible). Nobody needs to go on facebook in the library or in classrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Getting kicked out of a computer lab because of a tutorial with 3 people in it :mad:

Aard wrote: »
    Facebook should just be blocked from all computers...

:eek:

I'm serious. Why should computers that are there for studying/working on be used for facebook?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Getting kicked out of a computer lab because of a tutorial with 3 people in it :mad:
    Yesterday I was kicked out of a lab at five to two, fair enough I find another lab, lecturer arrives at two to kick us out so he can take a class of five people, I go to another lab and lecturer bustled in at five past two and kicked me out.

I think lab timetables should be put up on the doors so that students can check them. Thats three labs I was kicked out of in 10 minutes

I'm serious. Why should computers that are there for studying/working on be used for facebook?

I agree. Went to print some stuff out in the library today in bolton st. I managed to count 10 people on facebook. Another one watching a football match online...

Got pissed of that no computers were free. Had to go down to Kings Inn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I agree. Went to print some stuff out in the library today in bolton st. I managed to count 10 people on facebook. Another one watching a football match online...

One lad was asleep at a computer there today at lunch! Arsehole!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭overshoot

they should set an idle logout on the computers in the library, and +1 for taking out facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

No, that's not a solution. I'm pretty sure I've already paid to use computers there. If people want to browse facebook in the library, then they can get their own broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

The canteen in Kevin Street is fairly awful. Rubbery lukewarm food and tables that look like they haven't been washed since the place opened do not make for a good appetite. I'm loath to criticise the staff as they are generally quite nice and I've worked in catering myself but they can be seriously slow.

I agree that the computers shouldn't be used solely for facebook, but that said, i don't see any harm checking. facebook while you are on the computer doing something else tbh. A lot of people/classes use it to stay it touch with others about projects etc, i know i do

I agree that the computers shouldn't be used solely for facebook, but that said, i don't see any harm checking. facebook while you are on the computer doing something else tbh. A lot of people/classes use it to stay it touch with others about projects etc, i know i do

Well they could start using emails

• Advertisement

Webcourses is designed for just that sort of thing. Why not use it?

Advertisement