Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

milsim

Options
  • 03-12-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

dunno if this is in the right section?

anyway, im looking to get back into airsoft in the new year and im looking for serious milsim games, if they exist. dont get me wrong i love all sorts of airsoft but ive struggled to find anything really milsim eg: route marches to objectives, daysacks, opords for missions, unit structure, recce, ttps, ect. i dout im the only weirdo:p that wants this stuff so there must be a site or group in irleand that provides this style gameplay. and if not anyone interested in creating one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

I know what you mean but you can get some great info here
    hope that helps !

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

thanks dave! but that didnt help thats what got me into this curse 3 years ago. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Sadly it's thin on the ground these days. Most 'milsim' in Ireland is just limited ammo, there aren't enough serious players to warrant it, and sites have to make their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Sadly it's thin on the ground these days. Most 'milsim' in Ireland is just limited ammo, there aren't enough serious players to warrant it, and sites have to make their money.

Dave we do a kind of metal gear solid event. If you kill someone you have to move thier body so the patrols don't find them e.t.c.

Just out of curiosity does a milsim have to be large numbers or in your opinion can a 3 v 40 game work? It worked great for us, everyone loved the night and more than ammo limits you had to break into the armoury and rob any extra ammo you required.

Where would I go for info on these things? I ask because we're very interested in starting them on a large scale.

Dave we do a kind of metal gear solid event. If you kill someone you have to move thier body so the patrols don't find them e.t.c.

Just out of curiosity does a milsim have to be large numbers or in your opinion can a 3 v 40 game work? It worked great for us, everyone loved the night and more than ammo limits you had to break into the armoury and rob any extra ammo you required.

Where would I go for info on these things? I ask because we're very interested in starting them on a large scale.

There's special events with special rules which is what you're describing, and there's what the OP describes.

The 'military simulation' lies in the chain of command, the requirement to use actual tactics (which is usually sorted partially by ammo limits), and the immersive style of the game. From what I've heard, the Rionegro mandate earlier in the year is the only high-turnout milsim game that happened in Ireland this year. Anything else I've heard about or played at has been a limited ammo skirmish, or hasn't really worked out.

• Advertisement

Metal gear slod game sounds awesome must give it a try where do u run them?
    Milsim to me is unit stucture, proper orders, realistic objectives eg search and destroy arms caches ied factories. a mission where you need to actually recce and fimd the enemy then rwport back and organise an actual assault with real life ttps phase lines ect, and real hardship by ammo limits harsh medic rules and route marches :)
    It does seem to be too niche a game style but there has to be atleast 20 people and im sure some of the larger sites would be willing to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

milsim is just a catch all phrase to cover a wide range of activity's in airsoft

there is no silver bullet to make an event, no magic formula or off the peg package, the best events i've seen are those where the organizer has put together something they are passionate about, made an event they would like to play in rather than trying to attract the most number of people and hitting as many demographics as possible, and people with a similar mind set will find that event

And that is the problem, milsim is more the hobby side of airsoft rather than the commercial, yes it is possible to make some money in milsim events but not much, one event you can get 200 the next 100 even in the uk.

You have to do an event you and your regulars are interested in, no point asking for example what milsim i'm interested in as my last two 24 hour events I spent on the radio, that was some of the best airsoft experiences I've had but i can guarantee your regulars are not going to be interested in an event whre you may only fire one or two mags in a 24 hours period.

for me milsim is an experience, it can be anything from 200 plays with a platoon structure to 5v5 small squad action, as long as the mindset of the players is right it is milsim

gerrowadat wrote: »
    There's special events with special rules which is what you're describing, and there's what the OP describes.

The 'military simulation' lies in the chain of command, the requirement to use actual tactics (which is usually sorted partially by ammo limits), and the immersive style of the game. From what I've heard, the Rionegro mandate earlier in the year is the only high-turnout milsim game that happened in Ireland this year. Anything else I've heard about or played at has been a limited ammo skirmish, or hasn't really worked out.

Ah, so it's all about the absolute realism which is enforced by the command structure. Got it, thanks dude. I wouldn't worry about numbers, our regulars and a few others that join us for events would put a lot to it.

In our events each team has a colonel who gives commands and sets patrols or alert levels to add a bit more realism but I may expand a bit more on it next time.

That's a bit to think about, thanks Dave.
    c-90 wrote: »
    Metal gear slod game sounds awesome must give it a try where do u run them?
    Milsim to me is unit stucture, proper orders, realistic objectives eg search and destroy arms caches ied factories. a mission where you need to actually recce and fimd the enemy then rwport back and organise an actual assault with real life ttps phase lines ect, and real hardship by ammo limits harsh medic rules and route marches smile.gif
    It does seem to be too niche a game style but there has to be atleast 20 people and im sure some of the larger sites would be willing to help out.

Yeah in the events we do the missions would be to infiltrate the building, find evidence of weapon manufactoring (folder with info) and get it out. In the mean time if you get captured you get placed in a cell where you can be broken out but there would be a lot of gaurds watching that area.

Along with the primary objectives there was secondary objectives like capture an enemy commander and retrieve intel e.t.c. The folder mentioned would contain info and if you read it there would be other mission you could do if your able, the more you get done the better you do.

If your medics run out of bandages you have to break into the infirmiry, find the doctor to get more. You can take a civilian hostage and use thier coats to enter the building
    Puding wrote: »
    And that is the problem, milsim is more the hobby side of airsoft rather than the commercial, yes it is possible to make some money in milsim events but not much, one event you can get 200 the next 100 even in the uk.

It isn't about money, I enjoyed the **** out of the last event and I shot exactly 7 times. Great stuff, yes we are a commercial entity but I play airsoft atleast 5 days a week dude, I'm an airsofter through and through.
    You have to do an event you and your regulars are interested in, no point asking for example what milsim i'm interested in as my last two 24 hour events I spent on the radio, that was some of the best airsoft experiences I've had but i can guarantee your regulars are not going to be interested in an event whre you may only fire one or two mags in a 24 hours period.

In the event we held all of our regulars had one mag for the entire night, they all loved it and have been asking us to do it non stop since. We have been slightly to busy with other things to do it and we have been wondering where to go with it.

Our regulars are hard core airsofters Puding, they are skillfull, honorable players who enjoy the game and are great fun to be around. They would try any sort of event and basically all of them fire on single fire only. I can guarantee all of our regulars would love to see a proper full on milsim being ran in our place.
    for me milsim is an experience, it can be anything from 200 plays with a platoon structure to 5v5 small squad action, as long as the mindset of the players is right it is milsim

That's exactly what we went for and accomplished with our previous events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Do not take my previous post the wrong way, from past threads your views on milsim have been a little differant and contradictory at times , you have argued passionatly about not have ammo or even semi auto in situations

nice to see a c change in how you're approching things

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭tudenham10

I think there is a fundamental problem in the mindset of what milsim is or what it should be <wait for groans of here we go again>, I think most airsofters regard milsim as being the same as "section tactics" or "battlesim" whereas those fortunates who can go to the Sennys/Bergets get the full picture.

As has been said manys the time before 'round these parts :), if we can keep the interested players interested and accept that not every game needs to be milsim/battlesim/skirmish, then we have some chance of maturing to the levels seen elsewhere.

• Advertisement

@ airsoft reloaded , do you run an airsoft site?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

@ airsoft reloaded , do you run an airsoft site?
    He does but he's not supposed to mention it until he renews his sub.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Steve wrote: »
    He does but he's not supposed to mention it until he renews his sub.. :)

yeowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

TheDoc wrote: »
    yeowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Mmhmm.png

MMMM HMMMM

Do not take my previous post the wrong way, from past threads your views on milsim have been a little differant and contradictory at times , you have argued passionatly about not have ammo or even semi auto in situations

nice to see a c change in how you're approching things

I do have to admit I don't see airsoft at all like I used to, I guess it's the natural progression of airsoft. A point which I again have to admit I argued with in the past.

Forgive my post if it seemed overly defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

dunno if this is in the right section?

anyway, im looking to get back into airsoft in the new year and im looking for serious milsim games, if they exist. dont get me wrong i love all sorts of airsoft but ive struggled to find anything really milsim eg: route marches to objectives, daysacks, opords for missions, unit structure, recce, ttps, ect. i dout im the only weirdo:p that wants this stuff so there must be a site or group in irleand that provides this style gameplay. and if not anyone interested in creating one?

hi c-90 there is talk that the lads at Tigerland in Sligo will be running mil-sim once a month in the new year. I think its just starting as a day of mil-sim on sundays once a month but if the numbers & interest where there it could develop further.

darman28 wrote: »
    hi c-90 there is talk that the lads at Tigerland in Sligo will be running mil-sim once a month in the new year. I think its just starting as a day of mil-sim on sundays once a month but if the numbers & interest where there it could develop further.

cool, i asked to join the group on fb for updates.

Advertisement