Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotch Hall cinema

• 02-12-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

What's the story with that building besides Scotch Hall? Are they building the cinema or what?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That was the plan, but as far as I know, they stopped building it when they ran out of money or realised the demand wouldn't make up for the amount it would take to build it.

Damn shame too. I hate having to travel up to Balbriggan for a decent cinema :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭pippam

That was the plan, but as far as I know, they stopped building it when they ran out of money or realised the demand wouldn't make up for the amount it would take to build it.

Damn shame too. I hate having to travel up to Balbriggan for a decent cinema :pac:

I go to Swords cinema. So are they just gonna leave it at that? The building site looks disgusting. Drogheda needs a good cinema so badly. Surely there must be money to be made in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My understanding is the money isn't there, so it's not progressing any further till someone stumps up for it. It really is an eyesore :/

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭pippam

My understanding is the money isn't there, so it's not progressing any further till someone stumps up for it. It really is an eyesore :/

It's a mid mad that they were allowed to start building even though they didn't have enough money to finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

How times change.
    A number of years ago (more than I care to remember), I used to drive from Dundalk to Drogheda to go to the cinema coz there were two in Drogheda that were both better than what 'dalk had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

building was halted because they found medieval/viking bones.. then they ran out of money. scotch hall is now owned by nama... so i doubt it will be finished any time in the next 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭blingrhino

5 new hd cinemas going in to the drogheda town centre in march on the second level-planning permission has been approved ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭markc1184

Any potential new cinema will just end up going the same way as the others and end up being a kip. The Abbey was a disgrace by the time it shut and the Boyne centre cinema is dirty at the beest of times. There are too many scumbags who would rather go the cinema to throw stuff on the ceiling rather than have a bit of respect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

markc1184 wrote: »
    Any potential new cinema will just end up going the same way as the others and end up being a kip.

This.
    When the story appeared in the paper i looked up the company who have taken on the project and it seems that they have never built a cinema before and only do light retail work.
    I lost all confidence in a "state of the art cinema" right there and then.
    :(

However, i would really really like to be wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kunny

Unfortunately a poor cinema would be about the standard of the town centre shopping centre - it really has gone down badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

True that any cinema will turn into a dive, same as every cinema ever to be in drogheda.
    Truth is, nobody builds a scumy cinema, but will let the usuall scum into it.

There is to much security in swords for any scum to be let in or away with what happens here. TBH, even if it was to be built, id still go to swords.

Advertisement