Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving back to Ireland, temporarily.

Options
  • 01-12-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi, I am an Irish citizen who has lived in Finland for the last 12 years, I now have a possible opportunity to return to Ireland for 6 months, as a mature student doing practical training. What advice or tips does anyone have for me as I could be looking at this with rose tinted glasses. I would not need paid accommodation and would be bringing my Finnish car with me,and all financial stuff would be dealt with in Finland, oh and for anyone whose advice is DON´T, don´t. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You need to be a bit more clear with regards to what you are seeking advice on.

It sounds like moving to Ireland will not be an issue financially, & that accommodation is already taken care of.

So, what's on your mind...
    Meeting people?
    Surviving the wet & windy weather?
    Things to do & see?
    Attitude to Irish citizens with Finnish names? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mikko Mallikas

Thanks for the reply, and you are obviously right I do need to be more clear if that is the idea you got ;) I am Irish born and bred, and moved to Finland when I was 25 years old, I have no questions as regards Meeting people?
    Surviving the wet & windy weather? Things to do & see? Attitude to Irish citizens with Finnish names? I suppose I am just wondering how bad things really are and am I mad to consider being back there albeit only for 6 months. as things have changed dramatically in the last 12 years and not all for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I suppose I am just wondering how bad things really are and am I mad to consider being back there albeit only for 6 months. as things have changed dramatically in the last 12 years and not all for the best.

You are still being terribly vague...

"Bad" in what respect? I'm presuming that you mean that things are in a bad way financially, & yes things are bad on that score. It doesn't mean that the country is crawling with beggars & every other person will be trying to fleece you for a few bob.

The Irish people will work through this. Same as we've done many times before. I can't see why this would stop you from coming here for 6 months.

Why would you be "mad" to come here? It seems like you have a very poor perception of your home country & really have no clue about the current state of affairs other than what is sometimes misleadingly portrayed in the international press. Try reading some of the news websites & get up-to-date with what is happening here.

It is not all doom & gloom.
    We are not all living on the streets.
    The sun still shines.

Check this out... http://www.youtube.com/embed/5emdftOIoos

Thanks for that.

I will be driving Tampere, Finland to Baltinglass, Ireland next month. I will leave Tampere on March 8, taking roughly the route below, if anyone has anything reasonably small or anybody needing collection or delivery on the route. Contact me if you have.http://g.co/maps/z268z

• Advertisement
Advertisement