Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crikey we have an AFL forum. Say hello and who you support

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Freemantle....have become very good recently.

You must've missed season 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You must've missed season 2011!

Any team would do well to stay in the top 8 for most of the season missing 12 of their top 22. Have you forgotten Eagles' 2010 season?

Mackman wrote: »
    Any team would do well to stay in the top 8 for most of the season missing 12 of their top 22. Have you forgotten Eagles' 2010 season?

Ah the oul injuries excuse ;) Whatever the reason my point still stands.

As for the Eagles, we struggled in 2010 because we were shit thanks to being a side full of inexperienced kids (I'm aware also that Kerr missed the year and Glass was underdone).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Freemantle did well last year considering their injury problems.The sacking of Mark Harvey was a disgrace though.While Port Adelaide are my favourite non Melbourne team the Dockers are now on my favourite's list seeing that they get xavi all hot under the collar.:D

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Freemantle did well last year considering their injury problems.The sacking of Mark Harvey was a disgrace though.While Port Adelaide are my favourite non Melbourne team the Dockers are now on my favourite's list seeing that they get xavi all hot under the collar.:D

Heh until the Dockers actually win a flag or even come remotely close to claiming one there's nothing to get bothered about :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

funny-football-posters-fremantle-dockers-the-laugh1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rasputinscigar

Crikey it's some rough sport. Worse ad interruptions than NFL though

This is my favourites list

1North Melbourne
    2Melbourne
    3Western Bulldogs
    4Hawthorn
    5Port Adelaide
    6Freemantle
    7Collingwood

My not so favourites list
    1Essendon They tried to poach the Bulldogs best players when they were in financial trouble in 1989.I'll explain about the North Melbourne v Essendon rivalry at the end.

2Carlton The Blues are a club that are rotten to the core.Can anyone name the last president they had that wasnt done for corporate theft? It's bad enough that they broke the salary cap but they also tried to North Melbourne out when they were listed on the stock market?Like Essendon they also wouldn't give any funding to the bulldogs when they were on their knees and they also tried to poach their best players.

3West Coast Eagles Just for you Zavi.:D Besides i think that it's a disgrace that a manufactured club like that has more flags than the Western
    Bulldogs.:cool:

Now im going to explain The North Melbourne v Essendon rivalry.

Why I hate Essendon
    Some people hate Hawthorn and their robotic success. Most people hate Collingwood and their rabble army of boguns. I hate Essendon and all that they stand for.

In my early days of football worship, Essendon’s baby Bombers won a premiership. Every Tom, Dick and Barry who had a passing interest in football jumped on. Not real football people; pretenders. The sorts who will tell you why Timmy Watson is the best midfielder in the comp, yet have nothing but vitriol for Buddha Hocking and Greg Williams.

And the cocky bastards strutted around with a bull**** sense of entitlement. That premierships came to them, not through virtue or hard work, but mere existence. They didn’t know football, and they certainly didn’t know hardship.

They filled my classrooms, corridors and playgrounds for years.

Denis Pagan stuck it up them. He hates Essendon too. He told our boys tales of eras gone by.

Of Les Foote’s 1950 team, who made North’s first Grand Final, against the middle-class teetotallers from up the road. At the first bounce, 18 North Melbourne players swung roundhouses and sent the opposition to the deck. (Essendon won by 4 goals.)

Of Essendon blocking North Melbourne’s VFL admission in 1897 and 1907. Of supporting our entry in 1925, on condition of giving them our best recruiting grounds.

Pagan’s North Melbourne had a great record against the Dons. And Carey always saved his best for them.

In one encounter, several of Essendon’s supposed hard men tried to ruffle Carey before the opening bounce. He played ferociously, kicked a swag of goals and lead the Roos to another victory.

I recall listening to one of the best matches of football I’ve ever encountered. North kicked twelve goals to two in the first quarter against a dominant 2001 Essendon team. In one of football’s greatest comeback, the arrogant pricks reeled us in.

And then I discovered the events of 1921.

North set-up a merger with Essendon League Football Club who needed a new home ground. The innovators at Arden St had figured the newly merged entity would gain access to the VFL via the back door. Once the North superstars signed with Essendon – including star ruckman Syd Barker – Essendon reneged and found another oval.

A generation of quality players were lost, and North’s subsequent entry into the VFL in 1925 was a shadow of what it could’ve been.

Essendon supporters will not ponder these events while drinking their Coke Zero and discussing whether Jobe Watson is hotter than his father.

But I will.

I actually don't mind Collingwood there a blue collar working class club like North Melbourne and they helped out looking for fundraisers when the Western Bulldogs where on their knees in 1989.Unlike Carlton and Essendon who just tried to poach their best players.Considering their large support it's only natural that they have a few yobbos supporting them.Every other club has them too but in smaller numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

sorry, but I thought you only started following AFL this year? talking about stuff happening in 89 and watching Essendon win premierships? dont mean to nit pick, but it just sounds really odd.

• Advertisement

Really??? Thought it was a bit full on hate towards Ess, especially when you have a list of favourite clubs?

I personally like to see Essendon do well mainly because of local lad done good Michael Quinn. He played in the underage County teams with my brother before uping sticks. Was delighted for him scoring the winner in the Kilda's game. Hoping he gets more game time this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Really??? Thought it was a bit full on hate towards Ess, especially when you have a list of favourite clubs?

I personally like to see Essendon do well mainly because of local lad done good Michael Quinn. He played in the underage County teams with my brother before uping sticks. Was delighted for him scoring the winner in the Kilda's game. Hoping he gets more game time this season.

He should get a heap more game time this season, playing centre back for Longford :pac: he was let go at the end of the season by Essendon and has been back in Longford since and made his league debut against Offaly last weekend

bruschi wrote: »
    He should get a heap more game time this season, playing centre back for Longford :pac: he was let go at the end of the season by Essendon and has been back in Longford since and made his league debut against Offaly last weekend

Balls, didn't know he was delisted :( Well I won't be cheering Ess on anymore so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Yeah, think he went to same school as me back home so tried to keep an eye on him here. I went to couple of Bendigo games last year to see him play. Always did well in VFL but just didn't perform when he got his chance with seniors.

Best of luck to him with Longford anyway, I'm sure they're glad to have him back.

bruschi wrote: »
    sorry, but I thought you only started following AFL this year? talking about stuff happening in 89 and watching Essendon win premierships? dont mean to nit pick, but it just sounds really odd.

I was quoting someone from a North Melbourne forum.Im not afraid to argue to the death for my favourite team in any sport and i like to learn the history and traditions of my team and it's supporters.I just wan't to fit in with the 6 other North Melbourne supporters in the stadium when i watch them play.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

"Crikey we have an AFL forum. Say hello and who you support".... if you say so.

Hello. Richmond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

First time poster in this forum! Moved to Melbourne a few days after last years Grand Final so this is my first proper exposure to AFL. Going to the MCG tomorrow night to watch Hawthorne and Collingwood with 2 guys from work (one supporter for each team). I can't wait!

Decided to support Carlton (based on non-AFL related factors) so I'll be keeping an eye on the game tonight. I'm looking forward to getting into the Aussie Rules this season! :)

First time poster in this forum! Moved to Melbourne a few days after last years Grand Final so this is my first proper exposure to AFL. Going to the MCG tomorrow night to watch Hawthorne and Collingwood with 2 guys from work (one supporter for each team). I can't wait!

Decided to support Carlton (based on non-AFL related factors) so I'll be keeping an eye on the game tonight. I'm looking forward to getting into the Aussie Rules this season! :)

Looks like you're off to a good start so with the blues!

Not sure if you've joined up yet, but there is 1 place left in the boards league left.

league code is: 146389

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Swans supporter here.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

First time poster, long time Aussie Rules and Brisbane Lions fan.

Will pop in from time to time (probably just when we win!):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I am a fan of the AFLS oldest club.The club who's founding father fathers wrote the rules of the game.They have won 12 flags although the last one was in 1964.This is the club who are debt free thanks to the late Jim Stynes efforts.This is also the club that the late Sean Wight also played for.My hearts beats true for the red and the blue my heart beats true for the Melbourne Demons.:) I also have a soft spot for The Western Bulldogs/Footscray and North Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anfearpeil

I have an International Rules Jersey belonging to a now Aussie Rules hall of fame player, does anyone here know how much it might be worth? Don't think I'll sell it but I'm curious as to whether it has a value

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Who is the player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Freo white wash pies, excellent stuff. I hope freo keep up the pressure footy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Embarrassing story of the weekend:

Went on the beer all day for Sunday for Paddy's Day. The Port-Carlton final round game from last year (when Carlton won by a point) was on tv in the pub. Anyway, I was a bit drunk and didn't realise it was a rerun and assumed I was watching the game live so I was in the pub cheering like mad when Port hit the post in the last 30 seconds and Carlton held out for a one point victory :o I couldn't believe that would happen two matches in a row.

Roll on the next day, I went in to work still thinking Carlton won so I was slagging one of the guys at work who used to play for Port. Cringe for me when I realised my mistake! :pac::o

Richmond v Carlton game was a thriller, don't support ider and was at the edge of my seat, footy is back, Fu!k ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Was a cracker alright, I'm still not sold on Thursday night footy though. Just feels wrong, Friday night footy signifies the start of the weekend.

Mackman wrote: »
    Was a cracker alright, I'm still not sold on Thursday night footy though. Just feels wrong, Friday night footy signifies the start of the weekend.

I agree but you get to see more footy to, hard to see all the good games in 3 days/nights, having said that finishing work on a Friday evening cracking a beer and a footy game is the perfect start to the weekend! (2nd cracker, shaping up to be a good weekend)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I agree but you get to see more footy to, hard to see all the good games in 3 days/nights, having said that finishing work on a Friday evening cracking a beer and a footy game is the perfect start to the weekend! (2nd cracker, shaping up to be a good weekend)

Well last night should not have disappointed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 huddler

Co. Derry boy living in Melbourne for the last 5 years. Carlton fan, but also just love the sport in general. Keen SuperCoach player.

Trying to organise a SuperCoach league to find the best Irish SuperCoach player (secretly want it to be me, but willing to have my arse handed to me!). Sadly not many seem interested in the thread ive started here.....but im patient.

@joehuddler

Advertisement