Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Original dealership sticker from the '70s?

• 23-11-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I have a restored '73 Audi 80 that was originally bought at Park Motors in Dublin. As a finishing touch for the restoration I'd like to get a decal printed to fit to the bottom inside of the rear screen. However, the original sticker on my car was perished almost beyond recognition and got removed in the resto.

DSCF0678Medium.jpg

Does anyone have a photograph of a period correct Park Motors rear screen sticker that I could use to design a replica for my car?

this kind of thing:

23.jpg

3431092200501311441.gif

4853556914_88afd3d5cb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭S Line

A bit off topic
    Your car was stunning at the Limerick Show & in the Golf+ article, it stated at the end of the article that it was for sale, I was convinced that it would go to the UK and that lovely original reg. would be lost for ever !!
    And as for that rather tall lady – don’t really see ladies like them around the parish much !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

My '76 Datsun was bought in AF Tann and the sticker is still on the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe msl might have old photos or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

Beautiful photograph of the car.
    Where are/were Park Motors?
    I'd imagine a newspaper advert of the time might get you a logo or design
    at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

good idea on the ad :) I'll see what I can turn up. Park Motors are in Dublin. I know how to get there but I couldn't describe where it is!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Trevor, if you have a picture of an old park motors sticker you may be able to get a reproduction made up by one of those sign companies. Might be worth looking into.

Mine has the original Grange Motors sticker which is in ok-ish condition.
    DSC05246.jpg

Sun must have been hot to melt the plate like that.. Im surprised the sticker survived at all!:p

Neilw wrote: »
    Trevor, if you have a picture of an old park motors sticker you may be able to get a reproduction made up by one of those sign companies. Might be worth looking into.

thanks neil, that's exactly what I'm looking for, i.e. a photograph of an original, period correct Park Motors sticker so I can investigate getting a reproduction made of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I'd say a lot of printers would have a minimum order

I'd have more experience in taking the things off :) (Acetone and a Stanley blade) but I know of one place who print them, no idea about prices or minimum quantities though

I like the idea of getting reproductions of original dealer stickers and stickers relavent to the year of registration

I seen an 88 D Micra parked outside the Fás building here in Cork last year with a "Dublin's great in '88" sticker" which looked pretty cool

Mentioned it to a friend and before he sold it, he was thinking of putting two on his 94' Starlet; one about the 94' World Cup and something relating to the Lyons Tea Starlet competition which no one ever seemed to win

( Click the Pic for a direct link)

I'd love to have a printer capable of doing it - Anyone know what type they use?

window_sticker.jpg

window_sticker1.jpg

it's nice to see period correct stickers alright. I have a European Car Of the Year 1973 sticker in the bottom corner of the rear screen, the Audi 80 took the honours that year.

DSCF7516Medium.jpg

If I could sort out a dealer sticker I'd stop there. I already had a replica made of the tyre pressure decal for inside the fuel flap:

2011-04-20various006Medium.jpg

and I sourced a "high voltage!" decal for the engine bay. It's the small details that add to the overall restoration. Still though, you have to be careful not to end up with a stickerbomb dogs dinner...

d9696caad00d9badmed.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

My Uncle would have loved one of those 'European Car of the Year' stickers for his 94' Mondeo; the amount of times he mentioned it became a running joke in the family.

The most incredible one I've ever seen is this one from a Ferrari F40, I was taking a pic of the tax disc of £215 and to prove it was the real thing

Afterwards I noticed the window sticker which gives recommended tyre pressures for speeds above and below 300 Km/h

307240_286711551344428_100000167553651_1361380_1769205868_n.jpg

For the thread thats in it, heres a few more.
    32101a65.jpg
    Esmonde Motors Dublin c1979

5f9986fe.jpg
    Kerry Motor Works Tralee, c1985ish

808a4963.jpg
    Motor World Cork 1985ish

here's another VW/Audi one, presumably around the 1990 era ;)

photo-27Medium.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Did you contact park motors to see if they have any info, you never know they may even have a couple of original ones lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I'd say a lot of printers would have a minimum order

A printers will do anything one off, just a matter of cost. ;)

If you want to find an original first of all call into the garage, they may have one there, its usually better to call in personally rather than on the phone, there is a better chance someone will take a personal interest in it. I've seen old stickers stuck on worktops, lockers, tool boxes and in display cabinets in various garages. It might be better to go around the back and approach one of the older staff for this. You might also ask if there is a retired or former employee who might have one.

You can also go to a library and look up old newspapers on the microfiche system, you might need to go to a larger county library to get this.

You could also go to a local scrap yard and see if there is a car with the sticker in it, or try a website or club that is dedicated to the marque of car that the garage originally sold, maybe someone still has one in the back window of a well preserved classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

One more for the record - my '76 Merc was bought in Arlington of Bedford, a Mercedes main dealer, and the decal is still on the rear window today:

_MG_0429-Version21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have a restored '73 Audi 80...

DSCF0678Medium.jpg

Stunning. My dad had two of those when I were a lad..., one was even a rare 2-door.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

a friend just took this picture for me of the arse-end of his '73 VW 412 Variant. Nice original feature and getting closer to my goal!

DSCF2587.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

I have a restored '73 Audi 80 that was originally bought at Park Motors in Dublin........

That looks great....well done on the restoration.

BTW....so does Ballintubbert gardens!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Renotec

Hi all,
    I'm trying to source any Smith's Cork (or other branch) sales window sticker from the 80's or preferably the 70's. Any help is appreciated.
    80's style was: Renault logo at left corner & right corner, background in black, text (branch in white).
    70's style: white background (all) Smith's logo to the left and text (branch) in light blue

• Advertisement

found this picture amongst a folder of photos I took at Terenure years ago...

DSC00022-1.jpg

IM000251Small.jpg

DSCF3106-2.jpg

Volksworld2006003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

This is on my little Polo

IMG_0389.jpg

and for real originality ..... you need matching plates!!

IMG_0390.jpg

I have a guy who can pretty well replicate anything sticker wise if you need one

spotted a few at a show last weekend:

this:

DSCF1755Medium.jpg

on this:

DSCF1756Medium.jpg

this:

DSCF1783Medium.jpg

on this:

DSCF1785Medium.jpg

and in a roundabout way, I got this period correct repro sticker for my Audi as a stopgap until I can land on a Park Motors one :) Dublin car, Dublin dealer. Close enough for the moment!

DSCF1837Medium.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

As an aside to this thread, did Spooner's have a VW dealership in Ennis? I have an old Mk2 Golf put away and I'm sure it used to have a "Spooners of Ennis" sticker on it many years ago, or else I've imagined it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

As an aside to this thread, did Spooner's have a VW dealership in Ennis? I have an old Mk2 Golf put away and I'm sure it used to have a "Spooners of Ennis" sticker on it many years ago, or else I've imagined it :o

as far as i know they didnt,Roscrea & Thurlas only, closed this year

but will ask Liam this week

that tom harvey sticker is not that old as it has 0504 on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

WDB123 wrote: »
    as far as i know they didnt,Roscrea & Thurlas only, closed this year

but will ask Liam this week

that tom harvey sticker is not that old as it has 0504 on it

Thanks, I can picture it, a black and white sticker, from 1989. The Golf is 89-CE, and the first owner obviously lived in Clare, hence my belief the garage was also in Clare.

Heres another spotted at the Charleville show.
    IMG_5434.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ta2kevin

Trevor, it's a long shot, but D&S Roe in Dublin suply stickers, tax disc holders etc. to a lot of garages around Ireland, they've been doing so for years, might be worth a shot.

http://dsroeltd.com/category/catalogue/page/4/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Neilw wrote: »

Mine has the original Grange Motors sticker which is in ok-ish condition.
    DSC05246.jpg

Park motors was a sister company of Grange motors, so if you replace the Grange with PARK i'd say you're there, white on Blue background in that rectangular shape, if memory serves me correctly.

Advertisement