Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Magazine Xmas 2011 Crossword

Options
  • 27-11-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

This time of year again
    Any help on some missing clues would be very welcome.

1 Dn: Turn up with a drink and a joint for the foreign nobleman.(8) ?A?A?A?A

30 Dn: Is territory the answer? In the main, yes. (6) ?S????

31 Dn: Is Carol, upset, likely to tend the bearer of the bearer what Christmas is all about (6, 6) ?I??? ??????

41 Dn: Experts considered idea for helping singlehanded (10) P?O???E?I?

48 Dn: Organize tryst over the internet in a cunning way and proceed calmly and with dignity (9) S???T?L?

55 Dn: Wood-spirit with a tail can name all the animals in the entire area (5) ?????

27 Ac: Is part of the UK's armed forces about to start talking the only language that Ahmadinejad understands (5) ?A?S? Could it be PARSA

42 Ac: One side to agreement finds recompense is about right (5) ?????

49 Ac: In summer, you can find this very low, unpleasant creature, (5) ?????

53 Ac: Being wedged tightly and hard to shift, the mischief-maker got out and did something (5) A????

54 Ac: There's something going on when it's back in the ship with two rounds in it (5) ?????

58 Ac: One who doesn't sound very firm in his or her faith (9) ?????R

61 Ac: Plays about in company of Greek nymph out to get Penelope's man. (7) ?????S?

Note 5 clues are subject to the answer to 31 down.
    Thanks to anyone who returns any solutions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,493 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

When you have most of the letters like in 1d and 41d you can get answers from here:

http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/puzzles/word_wizards/wwizards.py/main

30d "main" is the sea, see if you can work that one out.
    27a is the modern name for Persian, you can google that.

See if you can work out any more when you get those.

I remember you from last year. We don't get many crosswords on here but a very active site is this one.

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Quizzes-and-Puzzles/

• Registered Users Posts: 59,553 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

1 Dn: Maharaja [Maha = a ham (joint) spelt backwards and Raja = a jar (spelt backwards); Maharaja = Indian royalty

53 Ac: acted [imp=mischief maker, impacted = wedged tightly and by 'getting out' the mischief maker you end up with 'acted', did something]

60 Ac: Calypso [Tthe word 'plays' (alyps is an anagram of plays) is contained within the abbreviation Co (company). Calypso held Penelope's husband Odysseus captive for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

1 Dn: Maharaja [Maha = a ham (joint) spelt backwards and Raja = a jar (spelt backwards); Maharaja = Indian royalty

53 Ac: acted [imp=mischief maker, impacted = wedged tightly and by 'getting out' the mischief maker you end up with 'acted', did something]

60 Ac: Calypso [Tthe word 'plays' (alyps is an anagram of plays) is contained within the abbreviation Co (company). Calypso held Penelope's husband Odysseus captive for a number of years.
    Thanks for help
    Got 27 Ac: FARSI from googling Persian language as advised by DXHOUND2005
    Could 8 dn now be SEDATELY Letters could now be using the d from acted,
    S?D?T?L?Y
    Figured this one out just now. It is SEDATELY "SLY" for cunning around "EDATE" being tryst over the internet.

vinpaul wrote: »
    This time of year again
    Any help on some missing clues would be very welcome.
    More help needed
    Found some solutions and have amended query
    30 Dn: Is territory the answer? In the main, yes. (6) ?S????
    Could this be ISLAND "IS LAND" in the sea, being Main!

31 Dn: Is Carol, upset, likely to tend the bearer of the bearer what Christmas is all about (6, 6) ?I??? ??????

41 Dn: Experts considered idea for helping singlehanded (10) P?O???E?I?

48 Dn: Organize tryst over the internet in a cunning way and proceed calmly and with dignity (9) S???T?L? This is "SEDATELY E DATE in SLY"

55 Dn: Wood-spirit with a tail can name all the animals in the entire area (5) ?????

34 AC: Cet tense when about to cut some of Italian's ration ??S?
    Could be "RASH"??

42 Ac: One side to agreement finds recompense is about right (5) ?????

49 Ac: In summer, you can find this very low, unpleasant creature, (5) ????? Could be ADDER Summer being totter and creature being snake??

54 Ac: There's something going on when it's back in the ship with two rounds in it (5) ?????

58 Ac: One who doesn't sound very firm in his or her faith (9) ?????R
    Could be HOLIER

Note 5 clues are subject to the answer to 31 down.
    Thanks to anyone who returns any solutions.
    Have amended query

41 D: Prosthetic [pros = professionals and thetic= hypothesis/ idea; prosthetic arm = for single handed people]

55 D: fauna [faun = mythological spirit of the forests and with the 'a' added on to the end (tail) you get fauna]

42 A: Party [pay = earnings; rt = right => pay is 'about' right]

I'd go with your 30 D and 49 A ideas. Not sure about other proposals. Also, you're showing 31 D as (6,6) but only 5 in the ?A??? bit of the answer. Need to clarify that. Equally, confirm that 58 A is a 6 letter word rather than 9.

• Advertisement

41 D: Prosthetic [pros = professionals and thetic= hypothesis/ idea; prosthetic arm = for single handed people]

55 D: fauna [faun = mythological spirit of the forests and with the 'a' added on to the end (tail) you get fauna]

42 A: Party [pay = earnings; rt = right => pay is 'about' right]

Thanks Name notavailabl

I'd go with your 30 D and 49 A ideas. Not sure about other proposals. Also, you're showing 31 D as (6,6) but only 5 in the ?A??? bit of the answer. Need to clarify that. Equally, confirm that 58 A is a 6 letter word rather than 9.
    Thanks Namenotavailabl:
    You're right 58 Ac is 6 letters not 9 and 31 Dn is (6,6)
    58 Ac: now reads as ?U???R
    31 Dn : now reads ?I?T?? ?????Y Could it be Little Family?

31 Dn: Little donkey [Christmas carol and an anagram of 'likely to tend']

31 Dn: Little donkey [Christmas carol and an anagram of 'likely to tend']
    Excellent well spotted.

58 A: possibly Luther, but it's a bit of a stretch. 'Luther' sounds like 'looser' (not very firm) and Martin Luther has historical religious (faith) connotations...

Could you also confirm the wording of 34 across.

34 A; Could be PAST [reference to the 'past tense' and pasta without the 'a' =cut the Italian's ration]

• Advertisement

58 A: possibly Luther, but it's a bit of a stretch. 'Luther' sounds like 'looser' (not very firm) and Martin Luther has historical religious (faith) connotations...

Could you also confirm the wording of 34 across.
    "Get tense when about to cut some of Italian's ration" (4) ??S?
    I am a wee bit iffy about PAST. What do you think of RASH?? End of rasher cut off.
    Although reading your reply again I'm inclined to go with tense being grammar rather than anxiety or hasty.
    Your Little Donkey gave a K in 58 across - "One who doesn't sound very firm in his or her faith" (6) ?U?K?R.
    Eureka I got it. It's QUAKER!!!!
    Thanks again for your interest and help.

I don't see how RASH can have any 'Italian ration' reference.
    I'd put €10 on my PAST to €1 on your RASH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jf2k

Phoenix Magazine Xmas 2011 Crossword

1 Dn: maharaja
    30 Dn: island
    31 Dn: little donkey
    41 Dn: prosthesis
    48 Dn: sedately
    55 Dn: fauna
    27 Ac: farsi
    42 Ac: girth
    49 Ac: adder