Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boston Accommodation

• 15-07-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, moving to Boston in October for 2 years. Anyone know of a reliable website/agency to use? I was advised that the Back Bay Area and the North End Area were nice areas. Ideally I would like to share with another person, maybe another Irish person...

Any tips would be really appreciated!

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marvin_suggs

If you're still looking, I think craigslist is still the best site if you're looking for accomodation in Boston (I'm moving to Boston myself shortly, and thats the site I'll be using).
    BackBay is a nice area, but can be expensive rentwise. Somerville and Cambridge are slightly out, but still very accessible to the city center, while being cheaper to rent in, Somerville especially (at least it used be). Anywhere around Davis Square, Harvard Square, Porter Square, or Inman Square would be worth checking out.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,235 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It may be a good start to look at the Subway lines (www.mbta.com) and look at areas serviced by them.

Where will you be working ?

Backbay is the really high end area of town, you will pay a small fortune there.

Most areas around downtown will be expensive, South End, Back Bay, North End, Beacon hill etc.

More reasonable areas will be a little further out like South Boston, Brighton, Allston, parts of Cambridge and Charlestown.

Further out again you could look at Dorchester
    Dorchester is big and has a lot of good and bad areas

East of Dorchester Ave and south of Fields Corner station is good, anything west of Dorchester Ave is not so good.

West Roxbury (NOT Roxbury) is good but poorly service by the subway

Further south of Dorchester you have Quincy which is generally good.

Other areas to consider are Watertown and Somerville.

Brighton, Quincy, South Boston, Dorchester all have big Irish communities with a lot of young Irish born people living there, you may find it easier to find an Irish person to share with in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I know this thread is a bit old but anybody on here have a room to rent in the Boston area?!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Guessing it's too far in the future for you, but will be looking to rent out a room, probably late January. If that's any use, let me know...

• Advertisement

Where abouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Somerville near Porter Square, about 3 mins walk from the T.

Well if you have photos and more details about it PM me with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jillyc

If any1 else would like to share accommodation with 2 girls, were going over the first week of January...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Is there an area you will be working/studying. I am sure I can recommend a few places based on that and transport to/from. Brighton is big Irish area on the outskirts. Is there anything that is important to you? Central location, transport, parking spot etc? Criagslist seems to be good but you will need to be wary of scams, that is where my GF adn many friends have got place in boston.

• Advertisement
Advertisement