Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online coffee resources

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Try these Blogs - Links courtesy of Espresso Warehouse and Matthew Algie

http://www.espressowarehouse.com/home/links.html
    James Hoffmann www.jimseven.com
    Current WBC champion, friend and all round good egg. He also photographed our latest catalogue.

Chris Baca www.chrisbaca.wordpress.com
    Not prolific in terms of blogging but he did win our throw down in Milan 07.

Stephen Morrissey www.flyingthud.wordpress.com
    Irish Barista who has done some mighty fine photography for us in the past.

Ryan Wilbur http://ghostbarista.wordpress.com/
    Prolific poster on Coffeed Ryan Wilbur - young and enthusiastic barista never short of an opinion.

Deaton Pigot http://deaton.wordpress.com/
    Originally part of the Irish barista mafia - now plying his trade worldwide while not writing for barista magazine.

Tim Wendelboe http://timwendelboe.blogspot.com/
    2004 WBC champion now roasting some great coffee - read down the page - some of it is in English.

Klaus Thomsen http://coffeecollective.blogspot.com/
    2006 WBC champion - Friend & master roaster at Kontra Coffee.

Barista Magazine http://baristamagazine.com/blog/
    New (ish) blog of our favourite coffee craft magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

FYI - it looks like Happy Donkey have had enough of troublesome people living in hills, caves, under bridges or otherwise beyond the pale - http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/uk-mainland-only.html

I wonder what it is about the parts of the UK that he won't deliver to - presumably if it has a postcode there should be a similar standard of delivery, whether it's in the far end of Scotland, Newry or London EC1. Hey ho.

z
    Please note that as from today 26/01/2010 we now ONLY ship to the UK Mainland.

We no longer ship to southern or northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey,Isle of man, Scottish Highlands and Islands or anywhere outside of mainland UK.

This is due to the fact that shipping to these destinations has proved difficult and time consuming.

Please note that there are NO EXCEPTIONS to the rule, please do not E-mail us asking us about this as these mails will not be replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Where can I get coffee in a can e.g. 500g ground 80% arabica 20% robusta (except online) in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

sebphoto wrote: »
    Where can I get coffee in a can e.g. 500g ground 80% arabica 20% robusta (except online) in Dublin?

Nick's do really nice coffee that they roast themselves twice a week.
    Go in and grab a bag of beans, ask them to grind it for you if you don't have a grinder yourself! Also ask about their blends of Arabica and Robusta and see if it suits what you need.

Bald Barista sell Fixx coffee, they'll grind it for you too.

Bewley's should be able to help too.

Otherwise there are supermarkets, although I'm not sure about the 80/20 ratio (but then I haven't been looking for it)

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Nick's do really nice coffee that they roast themselves twice a week.
    Go in and grab a bag of beans, ask them to grind it for you if you don't have a grinder yourself! Also ask about their blends of Arabica and Robusta and see if it suits what you need.

Bald Barista sell Fixx coffee, they'll grind it for you too.

Bewley's should be able to help too.

Otherwise there are supermarkets, although I'm not sure about the 80/20 ratio (but then I haven't been looking for it)

Thanks a million! I know I need to get good grinder first and second thing would be coffee machine as my old one died recently :|

• Advertisement

Have anyone bought something from them www.fastshopping.eu ?

Have anyone bought something from them www.fastshopping.eu ?

No one? They have good price for Gaggia Classic and i'm still hesitating.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

No idea about that fastshopping.eu site, apart from noting a 99% rating for their shop on Ebay. Is a vg price for the Gaggia alright, although Amazon also have it on offer at the moment (£175).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-Classic-Machine-Professional-Stainless/dp/tech-data/B0000C72XS/ref=de_a_smtd

mandarin wrote: »
    No idea about that fastshopping.eu site, apart from noting a 99% rating for their shop on Ebay. Is a vg price for the Gaggia alright, although Amazon also have it on offer at the moment (£175).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-Classic-Machine-Professional-Stainless/dp/tech-data/B0000C72XS/ref=de_a_smtd

hey, i'd go for amazon rather than any other 3rd party website located in the middle of nowhere :)
    i didn't saw that offer on amazon recently. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

Thanks a million! I know I need to get good grinder first and second thing would be coffee machine as my old one died recently :|

Don't know whether you've got yourself a grinder yet. I recently got into grinding after years of using pre-ground coffee and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I needed a grinder that would go fine enough for espresso and I looked at lots of online reviews and decided on Baratza.

I bought a Virtuoso Preciso from Karl at Coffee Angel. Not cheap at €300, but I wanted something that would give a decent, consistent grind, and the reviews were very positive. And you get what you pay for with these things. I had some problems with the machine but the service from Karl and also the importers (Marco Beverages in Sandyford) was excellent. I got a replacement with no fuss, and even got input from the Baratza company president!

So I'm a fan. And I've realised that having a grinder is as important (maybe more so) than having a good coffee machine.

• Advertisement

Don't know whether you've got yourself a grinder yet. I recently got into grinding after years of using pre-ground coffee and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I needed a grinder that would go fine enough for espresso and I looked at lots of online reviews and decided on Baratza.

I bought a Virtuoso Preciso from Karl at Coffee Angel. Not cheap at €300, but I wanted something that would give a decent, consistent grind, and the reviews were very positive. And you get what you pay for with these things. I had some problems with the machine but the service from Karl and also the importers (Marco Beverages in Sandyford) was excellent. I got a replacement with no fuss, and even got input from the Baratza company president!

So I'm a fan. And I've realised that having a grinder is as important (maybe more so) than having a good coffee machine.

No I didn't get grinder yet. Baratza stuff seems to be really good recommendation, however I'd rather get something less expensive and i'd go for Iberital MC2. Firstly though I need to find out a way to get it from UK somehow :)
    I have same feeling that grinder is very important factor, but you know - budget is tight, so i have to keep that in mind or else i'll end up with nice Mazzler :)

No I didn't get grinder yet. Baratza stuff seems to be really good recommendation, however I'd rather get something less expensive and i'd go for Iberital MC2. Firstly though I need to find out a way to get it from UK somehow :)
    I have same feeling that grinder is very important factor, but you know - budget is tight, so i have to keep that in mind or else i'll end up with nice Mazzler :)

Completely understand that one. I scoured sites as well to see who would ship to Ireland. I just fell for the Baratza reviews and, tbh, spent more than I originally planned. Have ended up happy though. Let's face it, I don't really need to eat every day do I? :p

I'd just make two follow-up points. If or when anything goes wrong with the grinder it's handy to be able to return it locally rather than shipping back overseas. I think that's worth a small premium over overseas web prices. Certainly I would check out what cost, if any, you might bear on returns. Secondly, when you're making a final decision I'd suggest using the price of the Virtuoso (not the Preciso), which is available at €200 from coffeeangel, as a useful cost benchmark.

The Iberital gets good write-ups though. Looks like a good choice.

Happy hunting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I had an MC2 for about 4 weeks before I sold it
    It was ok but I really wasn't happy with the coffee produced from it. I upgraded to a Mahlkonig/Baratza Vario and regret having wasted 4 weeks with the MC2.

PPC wrote: »
    I had an MC2 for about 4 weeks before I sold it
    It was ok but I really wasn't happy with the coffee produced from it. I upgraded to a Mahlkonig/Baratza Vario and regret having wasted 4 weeks with the MC2.

That's first bad opinion about MC2, but good to know that.
    Anyways I've received Gaggia Classic from amazon, but they didn't send tiny plastic thing which is called 'frothing jet device'.
    21upRClKjxL._SS500_.jpg
    Can I get such thing somewhere in Dublin?

That's first bad opinion about MC2, but good to know that.
    Anyways I've received Gaggia Classic from amazon, but they didn't send tiny plastic thing which is called 'frothing jet device'.
    21upRClKjxL._SS500_.jpg
    Can I get such thing somewhere in Dublin?

It looks like the little widget for a pressurised filter basket, is that what it is?
    If so, you'd be better off just getting a normal double basket, or better yet, a VST basket from Square Mile Coffee (excellent delivery service)

It looks like the little widget for a pressurised filter basket, is that what it is?
    If so, you'd be better off just getting a normal double basket, or better yet, a VST basket from Square Mile Coffee (excellent delivery service)

VST looks good, however I'm not professional barista to pay few times more for something what I'll use twice per day. Maybe I'm not on right side of the force, but you know - coffeehit asks Ł5 for double basket :)
    Anyways your recommendation is really good.
    By the way who on earth is responsible for such crap as pressurized filter basket or that stupid tiny plastic thing.. damn.

VST looks good, however I'm not professional barista to pay few times more for something what I'll use twice per day. Maybe I'm not on right side of the force, but you know - coffeehit asks Ł5 for double basket :)
    By the way who on earth is responsible for such crap as pressurized filter basket or that stupid tiny plastic thing.. damn.

Someone else on this forum also bought a Classic from amazon and they sent it with the pressurised basket with no widget, dunno what they're playing at!
    Fair enough about the VST, I decided to get one straight off because the technique used with it is different from the standard and I figured I might as well learn on the better equipment, figuring I'd eventually want it anyway.
    But yeah, I'd say at the very least get a standard double instead of the pressurised one.

Someone else on this forum also bought a Classic from amazon and they sent it with the pressurised basket with no widget, dunno what they're playing at!
    Fair enough about the VST, I decided to get one straight off because the technique used with it is different from the standard and I figured I might as well learn on the better equipment, figuring I'd eventually want it anyway.
    But yeah, I'd say at the very least get a standard double instead of the pressurised one.

That's really weird. I bought so many items on amazon and I never had such issues. I hope once I'll get rid of that pressurised basket I won't have to buy new portafilter. Maybe Watermark in Citywest will have in stock these baskets, any ideas?

+1 on the VST as well.
    I use my machine once a day, and its because I use it so little that I want to make sure I'm creating the best quality product that I can.
    It may seem like a bit of an initial payout, but in the long run its worth it.
    The cheap baskets will do the job, but I'm a lot happier since upgrading.

...you'd be better off just getting a normal double basket, or better yet, a VST basket from Square Mile Coffee (excellent delivery service)

Hadn't come across the VST before. But once I read this review I was hooked and I've just ordered one.

Thanks for the tip guys.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm looking for suppliers of Monini syrups - in particular the Chai variety. I recently had a cocktail with this as one of the ingredients. I'd love to make this cocktail for Christmas day, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

dudara wrote: »
    I'm looking for suppliers of Monini syrups - in particular the Chai variety. I recently had a cocktail with this as one of the ingredients. I'd love to make this cocktail for Christmas day, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

You can order them from Coffee Ireland here: http://www.coffee-ireland.com/Products.aspx?CatID=5
    I ordered a set of espresso cups from them before and everything worked out fine, so there shouldn't be any problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks - I also found Taylerson's Syrups on www.discountcoffee.ie. Either way, it looks like I'm sorted

I've placed order at CoffeeHit and since yesterday I'm happy owner of double, single and blind basket. Shipping takes 5 days, but it was worth it. Anyways i'm a bit dissapointed because of third party Gaggia Classic seller on Amazon. They didn't send that tiny stupid plastic thing, however Amazo gives me back 20Ł.
    By the way, approx mid Dec I'll receive some 58mm tampers (stainless steel base + wooden handle) for just 20€. If someone is interested - let me know :)
    87857ac_20.jpeg

Click for the full size image:

PopChartLab_Coffee_ZOOM822_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

http://www.coffeemojo.ie/

Coffee Mojo, Wicklow based coffee roaster. Free shipping on orders over €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

snollup wrote: »
    http://www.coffeemojo.ie/

Coffee Mojo, Wicklow based coffee roaster. Free shipping on orders over €20.

Whats the coffee like with these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Slattsy wrote: »
    Whats the coffee like with these guys?

Its excellent. I've been buying from them since late last yr and get an order once a month from them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

donnacha wrote: »

Its excellent. I've been buying from them since late last yr and get an order once a month from them now.

Thanks.
    I see you replied to my other thread too, thanks again.
    I found these afterwards and really like the look of them. Seem like their in the business for the right reasons and have some ethics.

Of all the coffee on their site can you recommend one or two? I like a sweet coffee, but one that's full of caffeine.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any experience with Saula coffee?
    Anyone from Spain here? :)

Advertisement