Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 2247-NWG Wireless Bridge to UPC Thomson Router

• 12-11-2011 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I realise there are a lot of posts on here about the netopia and bridging but none of them answer my question.

I just got UPC broadband and I have an old Netopia that I would possibly like to bridge wirelessly with the UPC Thomson Router in order to access the net.

Basically I want to have a Dreambox connected to the Netopia and the netopia to get to the net by wirelessly connecting to the Thomson router.

Is this possible?

I have messed around with the settings but can't seem to figure it out. I have set the mode to RFC-1483 Bridged Ethernet LLC/SNAP and enabled bridging.

However, I can't see anywhere to enter the SSID of the UPC router in order for the netopia to know what it is connecting to.

Any ideas or is this just not achievable?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Anyone?

Been playing around with it again today but no joy.

Tried setting the gateway on the netopia to the thomson ip.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Hi Mossy,
    I'm afraid what you are trying to do is not possible to do with the equipment you have. The netopia as far as I can remember does not have wireless client capabilities. What you need is a wireless AP/Repeater/Client which you should be able to pick up for a max of about €50 online.

arseagon wrote: »
    Hi Mossy,
    I'm afraid what you are trying to do is not possible to do with the equipment you have. The netopia as far as I can remember does not have wireless client capabilities. What you need is a wireless AP/Repeater/Client which you should be able to pick up for a max of about €50 online.

Cheers for the reply.

I wont be wasting anymore time on the netopia so.

I have a linksys wrt54g that I ended up using and its working perfectly, its just I was using the linksys in another part of the house so I think i may get another linksys on ebay or something.

Thanks

What you could do is use the netopia where the linksys was provided the linksys was only working as as an access point??

Just make sure to disable all dhcp server settings on the netopia so it's not throwing out bogus IP addresses to the network.

Well where I had the linksys, I was doing the same thing as I am now doing with the linksys and dreambox.

I had another dreambox connected to it and my PC, linksys was then bridged with the UPC router in order to gain access to the net.

So is it possible to connect the other dreambox and pc to the netopia and have the netopia wirelessly connected to the UPC router for internet access?

• Advertisement

Nope afraid not, the netopia only offers wireless access point capabilities, it can't act as a client.

arseagon wrote: »
    Nope afraid not, the netopia only offers wireless access point capabilities, it can't act as a client.

Thats what I thought.

I'll need to invest in a new router so.

Any reccomendations of a good router that is wireless n capable and can take dd-wrt? And one that's not too expensive?

Iv gone and purchased a Linksys E1000, compatible with dd-wrt and got it for around 30 euro second hand on amazon.

Advertisement