Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sectarian harassment by teens.

• 13-11-2011 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Just over one month ago I moved to Portadown with my twelve year old daughter to take up a job there. Since moving here our house has been assaulted with eggs and rocks, my daughter was physically assaulted, and my car has been assaulted by a child jumping on the bonnet and roof (no serious damage done thankfully). All this has been done by three teen boys. I contacted PSNI by telephone to report the incidents and they said they would send a car out. Perhaps they sent a car out to the area but nobody called to our door. Last night I had our pet dog chained up in the back garden and the three youths bought a dog (a pit bull or some similar dog) around and let it of the lead and it attacked out dog which is a small jack russell. I confronted the youths in my back garden only to be told to f off back to where I came from. I am shocked that this sort of carry on is happening tbh.
    As my first attempt to get help from the PSNI failed so miserably I am hesitant to contact them again. What can I do that is within the limits of the law to prevent these youths from further harassment? I have contacted two of their parents and received assurances that the intimidation of my daughter would stop but unfortunately it continues between the hours of three to five in the afternoons when she finishes school and I am still in work. The third youth who is the eldest and obviously the ring leader (app. fifteen years of age) seems to be the driving force behind this nonsense has told other kids in the area that he has it in for me. Ive stopped answering my door when someone knocks as knock on and run away seems to be his favourite game. I know this sounds absolutely unbelievable but it is really happening. I moved to the area we live in as my research indicated it was a mixed area and I mistakenly thought it would be safe for us. Would moving home to a staunch nationalist area be the way forward? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Hi i think you should move out of there it doesn't sound like a nice place, i may be wrong and it may be a good place the kids may be a minority who thinks its funny. I don't think it was a good idea to speak to their parents you know there are people in Northern Ireland who are bad people and will probably encourage that type of behaviour, anywonder they are like that by the sounds of things they picked that up from somewhere, i would keep it quiet. You should never have told anyone your religion or where you were from when you moved there, this is Northern Ireland remember that. And the PSNI are absolute **** knowing them they didn't bother themselves coming in for 1: they may be scared or 2: they couldn't be bothered. Personally i'd go out and batter them but i wouldn't advise that. I think you should move to a rural area were thi s **** doesn't go on or move to an area which is more mixed than the current one were you live. I strongly make this point that should never have went near their parents now they know who you are and all about you. I'm not trying to scare you but this is northern Ireland and you have to watch yourself in places like that. I would stay to see what happens and then if it gets worse just move out. BTW have you spoken to the wee boy in charge of this? I bet you you haven't if you even go near him i bet he'd **** himself. They probably fancy your wee girl or something and don't know how to react, wee boys are like that. I don't mean to be rude but is it a council estate? Are there loads of union jacks? If its a council estate with loads of union jacks, i'd say you haven't seen the worst of that estate yet there will be loads of nasty things go on there in the 12th and bonfires etc, if i was catholic i'd not want to live in a loyalist estate because they burn catholics out. I would say if its a normal estate with no union jacks i'd satay if it isn't i'd move out right away. Estates like that are easy to spot and most catholics no not to go near them. I suggest the next time you do a bit more research.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Really sorry to hear what's happened.

I would make a note of everything that happens and keep on to the police. If it is a recurring problems it appears to be, then they'll have to take proper action.

Also I'd suggest contacting a local politician. Personally I'd sugest SDLP or Alliance party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

owenc wrote: »
    Hi i think you should move out of there it doesn't sound like a nice place, i may be wrong and it may be a good place the kids may be a minority who thinks its funny. I don't think it was a good idea to speak to their parents you know there are people in Northern Ireland who are bad people and will probably encourage that type of behaviour, anywonder they are like that by the sounds of things they picked that up from somewhere, i would keep it quiet. You should never have told anyone your religion or where you were from when you moved there, this is Northern Ireland remember that. And the PSNI are absolute **** knowing them they didn't bother themselves coming in for 1: they may be scared or 2: they couldn't be bothered. Personally i'd go out and batter them but i wouldn't advise that. I think you should move to a rural area were thi s **** doesn't go on or move to an area which is more mixed than the current one were you live. I strongly make this point that should never have went near their parents now they know who you are and all about you. I'm not trying to scare you but this is northern Ireland and you have to watch yourself in places like that. I would stay to see what happens and then if it gets worse just move out. BTW have you spoken to the wee boy in charge of this? I bet you you haven't if you even go near him i bet he'd **** himself. They probably fancy your wee girl or something and don't know how to react, wee boys are like that. I don't mean to be rude but is it a council estate? Are there loads of union jacks? If its a council estate with loads of union jacks, i'd say you haven't seen the worst of that estate yet there will be loads of nasty things go on there in the 12th and bonfires etc, if i was catholic i'd not want to live in a loyalist estate because they burn catholics out. I would say if its a normal estate with no union jacks i'd satay if it isn't i'd move out right away. Estates like that are easy to spot and most catholics no not to go near them. I suggest the next time you do a bit more research.

Its not a council estate and there are no union jacks flying. Comming from the south I thought the good Friday agreement ended all the nonsence. I never supported SF or the IRA before but now I can see why they exist. I did confront the ring leader and he was in no way afraid. Tonight my wee girl had to run inside as they were throwing stones at her. They really are scumbags.

Have you bought, by the way? If you are renting, it's probably best to look elsewhere.

NI isn't all like this. I wouldn't go to a big nationalist area either, maybe look for somewhere outside portadown. I don't know the area, but someone where you work should be able to advise.

Once again, sorry this has happened to you.

Offy wrote: »
    Its not a council estate and there are no union jacks flying. Comming from the south I thought the good Friday agreement ended all the nonsence. I never supported SF or the IRA before but now I can see why they exist. I did confront the ring leader and he was in no way afraid. Tonight my wee girl had to run inside as they were throwing stones at her. They really are scumbags.

That's awful. Definately contact the police straightaway and ring them again if anything else happens. Scum of the earth, those kids are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'd try a different neighbourhood. It doesn't have to be a 'staunch' nationalist area - but you'll feel more at home where the population is more welcoming towards you. It will be better for your kid too. It's a shame these little shítes are acting the eejit. They probably don't even understand why they are doing it.

Aw rite well then it sounds like a nice enough place. Its obviously young folk who haven't got a clue what they're doing and will likely end up getting beat up sooner or later. As for the stones why did you naw go out and beat them up? Not literaly. And if the police say something you can say they egged your house throw stones at you and tried to destroy your car. I would take video footage and photos of what they're at and go directly into the manager of the nearest police station. And i agree with richard don't be moving into a nationalist area them areas can be just as bad alot of ira folk live in there and it wouldn't be as nice as were you live. (quality of houses). I think you should move to the country, country folk are much much more respectful, infact i never hear of catholics being targeted in protestant areas in the country, infact theres catholics down the road from us and no one ever says anything to them and they actually live right next door to the orange hall. Personally i think you are being way to woosy about this, if this happened to me my mother would go out to the street and start screaming and roaring at them and run like mad after them if they ran away, its happened before. :)

Not quite sure what owenc is saying here, but please don't beat them up or anything!

Good luck with everything.

Richard wrote: »
    Not quite sure what owenc is saying here, but please don't beat them up or anything!

Good luck with everything.

I was only joking i did say not literally i was basically telling him to go out shouting at them i think hes being too woosy, if he did that i'm sure they'd **** themselves.

owenc wrote: »
    I was only joking i did say not literally i was basically telling him to go out shouting at them i think hes being too woosy, if he did that i'm sure they'd **** themselves.

Fair enough, though I'd think twice about doing that myself! Especially if you don't know anyone. They'd probably be looking for a reaction like that, anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, she has a black eye now. I really hate violence tbh so beating them up would take an extreme incident. Two of the neighbours called around to offer support, it seems these kids have been causing trouble for some time now so its now that we are from the south, thats just the excuse they are using. The really sad part is the reaction of PSNI. As I said earlier I didnt support SF in the south but after a very short time in the north I really can understand why the IRA ever existed up here. If the police refuse to do anything to protect children who should parents turn to? Its a vicious circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Take your daughter to the PSNI station in person and report the assault. The 'sending a car out' response is trotted out for most complaints (and the Gardai are guilty of it too sometimes), but a complaint in person with a child in tow is harder to overlook. Ordinarily if the parents of the boys were receptive (they sound like they were when you went over?) a 'firmer' word in their ear might suffice but as your daughter has been injured it's becoming more urgent that something is done now. You might prefer to go to the parents one last time but that has the potential to go pear shaped if they are appalled by your accusations that it was their lads that did it. Also, are they in the same school as your daughter? If so it may be wise to involve the school.

I've lived near kids like this when I lived in England and I sold my house and moved because of it. If you have a way out of this sooner rather than later (i.e. you're renting) I'd take it. You have to pick your battles and you and your daughter's happiness and safety are the most important things.

Thanks for the advice, she has a black eye now. I really hate violence tbh so beating them up would take an extreme incident. Two of the neighbours called around to offer support, it seems these kids have been causing trouble for some time now so its now that we are from the south, thats just the excuse they are using. The really sad part is the reaction of PSNI. As I said earlier I didnt support SF in the south but after a very short time in the north I really can understand why the IRA ever existed up here. If the police refuse to do anything to protect children who should parents turn to? Its a vicious circle.

Awk thats a sin, they really aren't messing about then. :( I didn't think anyone would be so bad like that, i don't know what its like to meet people like that i have met sectarian people but i haven't met anyone that would do that. God love you. I think you should go to the police station and get them buggers in jail. Take pictures and take any evidence in with you. And go in now aswell not tomorrow or next week that'll be too late.

You might not want to have a photo recording this, but if you haven't done so, take a photo of your daughter with her black eye for evidence.

I've been lucky enough never to need the police in NI, but
    I always felt when I lived there, that they'd be there if I needed them.

I can't tell you how annoyed I am that they have let you down. I can't think of any excuse as to why they're not helping, but you have to make sure you have everything recorded so that they have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

The police are bombarded with calls about anti-social behaviour - the PSNI will prioritise calls just as any other police force (e.g. the Gardai) will - the police are massively stretched and under resourced at the minute (I ran this past a PSNI constable friend of mine).

This doesn't sound like just "anti-social behaviour". Anti social behaviour is a couple of louts drinking on a street garden lobbing bottles. Your daughter has been assaulted. Take her down the station, give a full account of what has happened / is happening, and then see what happens. If you're still ignored then by all means give off stink about political policing/bring the Provos in etc etc - however for now I think you're bringing in an unnecessary and unwarranted political element to the situation that, in all likelyhood (on the PSNI's part) doesn't exist.

As a nordy Im embarrassed that this sort of thing is happening (in terms of the abuse dished out to you and your daughter) - it seems to be a wider society issue in that scum will pick on anything that marks you out as "different" - in this case its because you're an outsider and from the south. Portadown has been reknowned for its attacks on any outsider (eastern europeans in particular) and is one of the towns in NI where sectarian scars run very deep in what is a minority of people. Unfortunately you only need to live within range of a couple of eejits to make you're life hell.

Keep us posted with how you get on anyway.

I called into a PSNI station tonight. They were very polite and took the complaint. They promised to have a car keep an eye on the area. I dont know if this will happen/help or not but I guess time will tell. I have to say they very very nice and had a great attitude. Lets hope they do actually do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Keep us updated please :)

muffler wrote: »
    Keep us updated please :)

About an hour ago I was walking from the living room to the kitchen to make a cuppa and the ring leader was stood outside the door about to knock on. When he saw me he gave me the fingers. I picked up the phone and opened the door. As he was hurling abuse I dialled the police and told him to hang around as the police were looking for him. As soon as I said "Can I speak to Constable XXXXXXX" he turned tail and legged it up the road. He might not be afraid of me but the thoughts of the police been after him had quite a nice effect :)

As soon as I said "Can I speak to Constable XXXXXXX" he turned tail and legged it up the road. He might not be afraid of me but the thoughts of the police been after him had quite a nice effect :)
    Hopefully that will have the desired effect

The teens are back knocking on my door again! I tried to call the chap in the PSNI that I spoke to last night but I was told that they (PSNI) dont know who he is! This gets better and better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

The teens are back knocking on my door again! I tried to call the chap in the PSNI that I spoke to last night but I was told that they (PSNI) dont know who he is! This gets better and better.
    I'd recommend installing CCTV cameras if you have the money, if caught on camera you have evidence to show to PSNI etc if this problem escalates. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'd recommend installing CCTV cameras if you have the money

Good call.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

How are things going now?

The knock-on and run away is still going on. The egg and stone throwing has stopped. As I dont let my daughter out to play any more the bullying has also stopped. None of the kids use my car as a trampoline since I told them I reported them to the PSNI. As yet Ive seen no PSNI cars driving by but the threat of them seems to have worked.

As yet Ive seen no PSNI cars driving by but the threat of them seems to have worked.
    The PSNI have more unmarked than marked cars so there's every chance you may not have noticed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Moving out would be a give-in to these loyalist scum. I would recommend installing a CCTV camera overlooking your driveway so that the footage can be used to identify the scum and have them in court for damage. Stand your ground. This is our country.

Skopzz wrote: »
    Moving out would be a give-in to these loyalist scum. I would recommend installing a CCTV camera overlooking your driveway so that the footage can be used to identify the scum and have them in court for damage. Stand your ground. This is our country.

Is it? I was under the impression I was living in the UK, however I never owned any country so I cant make that claim! At the end of the day all that is important to me is the safety of my children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Last night I had our pet dog chained up in the back garden and the three youths bought a dog (a pit bull or some similar dog) around and let it of the lead and it attacked out dog which is a small jack russell. I confronted the youths in my back garden only to be told to f off back to where I came from. I am shocked that this sort of carry on is happening tbh.

<snip> You must realize that you are dealing with a different breed of people but you MUST stand your ground. Personally, I would confront them if they are outside your property. You can take matters into your own hand if necessary. Never hesitate with these people. They are vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

The knock-on and run away is still going on. The egg and stone throwing has stopped. As I dont let my daughter out to play any more the bullying has also stopped. None of the kids use my car as a trampoline since I told them I reported them to the PSNI. As yet Ive seen no PSNI cars driving by but the threat of them seems to have worked.

When you reported the black eye to the police, did you tell them you wanted to press charges, or did they ask if you wanted to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

cctv costs a bit much, digital camera would do. for 200 you can get one that will take a HD video, and record good sound too. set one up with a decent tripod and open window and let it role. should be albe to zoom in while recording too for a lovly close up for their ulgy mugs. Also a rapid take setting and a flash that will easily cover 30metres or so (rapid picture and flash can work together). leave the camera recording upstairs and if they come go up and get some close ups. (you may need a spare battery)
    it might not be any harm to let them visibly see you gathering evidence, they might think twice before approaching if there is consequences. every picture and video time stamped too

Advertisement