Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Style Fairy Lights

Options
  • 09-11-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭

Seems no-one is making these anymore :( and even worse I'm looking for an ancient set!

I have my heart set on a set of Pifco "Cinderella" lights (made circa late 70's early 80's) - was watching 4 sets on E-Bay recently & they all sold before the auction dates ended. They are plastic gold & coloured carriages and lanterns, really lovely.

I live in hope that some dusty box will turn up on a shelf in a shop somewhere, so if any of you Crimbo Boardsies see any.........:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

washiskin wrote: »
    Seems no-one is making these anymore :( and even worse I'm looking for an ancient set!

I have my heart set on a set of Pifco "Cinderella" lights (made circa late 70's early 80's) - was watching 4 sets on E-Bay recently & they all sold before the auction dates ended. They are plastic gold & coloured carriages and lanterns, really lovely.

I live in hope that some dusty box will turn up on a shelf in a shop somewhere, so if any of you Crimbo Boardsies see any.........:)

I remember those! We used to have some years ago -- I hope you find them!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I can remember those lights as well but I dont know where you could get them. I have these ones. Any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Traditional-Colour-Lantern-Christmas/dp/B0043ZY11C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Oh WOW you just brought back major memories for me, we had them on our tree for years- I'd say my Dad still has them!

I do like those old fashioned lights, much nicer then the horror that are LED's. Bleurgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Hi folks, thanks for the replies - OH is watching that set on e-bay for me Milli.
    carfiosaoorl - I have a set of those but thank-you for the tip though. :)

The cool thing about them is the wheels actually turn on the carriages - my late Dad brought them home one night close to Christmas and there was great excitement - we all adopted a colour each and argued who's was the prettiest - jeez we were so innocent when you think of it :o

I wonder if light makers will ever go back to the old style novelties or are we destined to be stuck with single-bulb LED forever?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 katecarbery

Washiskin, I was pleased but also disappointed to see your post. I am searching high and low for the carriage lights like my uncle had years ago on his tree. I've always wanted them. God they were magic. I am thinking I'll have to go down the lantern route instead, but even they are impossible to find, the proper old fashioned ones. I have even sent a mail to fix it friday on today fm for this friday hoping someone can help me! if you have any luck, will you let me know? I will of course do same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

These MUST be a popular thing, there has to be a market for re-makes!
    I have 'decanted' all our old Pifco lights onto new strings. There is one string that the cover is built-in to the lamp, so can't be changed unfortunately :(

Even the smell of the lights in the box! OH the memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I actually contacted a company in he UK that seems to import Pifco asking if there are any regions worldwide that these particular style of lights are still made for or if any company has a licence to make the old designs.

I found a couple of Tutti Fruitti sets on e-bay which have one carriage and one lantern on the string but I'm not sure.

Failing that - I guess I could find a company in the Far East that might reproduce them ;) (I'm half serious here - good God! Christmas mania has taken hold! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

My parents still use these lights. I agree they were special in our house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 rockds

Hi guys, I have been DESPERATELY looking for these for years!!! I was delighted to see that I'm not the only one who loves them too! :-)

We had them growing up too... and get brought up in conversations nearly every year LOL What makes it worse is they were sold in my Dad's shop and he could get them ten a penny back then!!! Now they're selling for obscene money on Ebay.

Did anyone have any luck in getting a set?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Saw some lantern type lights in homestore and more this year. Probably not what you want but just in case......

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Homestore and More and also Heatons had the lanterns this year. Heatons also had the 'flower' style ones like these:
    s-l225.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I have a very old set of 'Pifco' lanterns, but the original lights died years ago and it's very difficult to attach them to modern ones. They just sort of dangle precariously. I bought a set of lights with lanterns in Homestore and More yesterday. Reduced from €24.99 to €9.99.

Advertisement