Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

coconut milk

• 08-11-2011 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

It has been recommended for me to drink coconut milk opposed to my usual soya milk as they say it has better nutrition and benefits all round,is this correct ?thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kalinda

Never heard of it until I saw Tara Reid (US actress) drinking it a lot on Celebrity Big Brother. Why not google it for information?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Check out "The Coconut Oil Miracle" Dr Bruce Fife, makes for an interesting read on coconut oil and milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Kalinda wrote: »
    Never heard of it until I saw Tara Reid (US actress) drinking it a lot on Celebrity Big Brother. Why not google it for information?

Of course I can google it but was wondering has anybody here tried it and what were there opinions on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

It's grand. Creamier than normal milk. It barely lasts a couple of days once out of the can. I only use it in coffee and tea or to cook with as part of a paleo diet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I use it in curries and stuff and to make dairy free ice cream ( yum yum )
    I've not tried it as a complete replacement for cows milk ( coffee etc ) I can imagine having it on cornflakes but it might be ok in a coffee - I think its very calorie dense though about 3 * calories of full fat milk ( if thats what you are into )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

You can also get a watered down type version in a carton called Kara coconut milk for the likes of tea and cereals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

It's great gear altogether as are all things coconut IMO. I use the full fat bad boy (400ml can) chilled overnight in the fridge for a home made smoothie and this will replace a meal even when shared with some one else, it's very filling and full of essential fats and tastes good too. I add in mixed berries, protein whey and mix it in a blender.

It's really helped me with my training (body fat reduction) in the last month - 6 weeks.

Have a read of this for the more technical benefits of using coconut products:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-wonderful-world-of-coconut-products/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

You can also get a watered down type version in a carton called Kara coconut milk for the likes of tea and cereals etc.

Yep I tried this at Rude Health the other week and then bought some in Supervalu last week. Its fine for tea and coffee and does not curdle.

http://www.karadairyfree.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

flikflak wrote: »
    Yep I tried this at Rude Health the other week and then bought some in Supervalu last week. Its fine for tea and coffee and does not curdle.

http://www.karadairyfree.com/

I'm cows milk intolerant and use the "Kara" coconut milk for cereal, porridge (really good), coffee etc. Works a treat! Delighted with it. :)

Does it drastically change the taste of tea compared to cow's milk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Many of the asian type supermarkets will have all sorts of coconut products. I was in spice bazaar in blackrock market dublin this evening. I only just found out it is open 7 days a week 10am-8pm everyday.

They recommened a dry coconut milk powder to me before, I was looking for coocnut flour -which they since got in especially for me, €2.75 for 400g east end brand.

Maggi was the brand they recommended. you can see some here
    http://bombaybazar.ie/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=coconut&x=0&y=0

rubadub wrote: »
    I was in spice bazaar in blackrock market dublin this evening. I only just found out it is open 7 days a week 10am-8pm everyday.

I did not know this place existed!!
    Thanks, I'll pop in on at lunch time.

I did not know this place existed!!
    Thanks, I'll pop in on at lunch time.
    They used to have another shop in the same market and moved, I think everybody presumes it would only be open when the other market stalls are but its a proper shop. I was very surprised it was open until 8pm each night. I had to ring the market owner to ask if they were opening as there was no info on the web. I had to walk through the arch in pitch black to get to it, though you can come in from the other side.

Seems to be an Indian father & son running it, friendly guys who are genuinely interesting in what you want. I told them they should advertise more and that I would post it on a website, I have no connection, just do not want to see them close! and its a shame that such a good shop is unknown.

They are up the back of the market, where the green arrow is pointing here
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.300859,-6.178485&hl=en&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=19

There is a Filipino shop in dun laoghaire too "Pinoy sari sari store", opposite walters near the peoples park
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.289563,-6.13002&hl=en&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

Many of the asian type supermarkets will have all sorts of coconut products. I was in spice bazaar in blackrock market dublin this evening. I only just found out it is open 7 days a week 10am-8pm everyday.

They recommened a dry coconut milk powder to me before, I was looking for coocnut flour -which they since got in especially for me, €2.75 for 400g east end brand.

Maggi was the brand they recommended. you can see some here
    http://bombaybazar.ie/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=coconut&x=0&y=0

this is fantastic news, i bought a bag of coconut flour in the health food shop in Dundrum a couple of months ago, think it was about €9.95 for a 500g bag.
    I'll have to go check this place out, thanks rubadub you're a mine of untapped info!

I got 500ml of coconut oil too, €3.25 which is reasonable enough. It is not virgin but lists trans fats as zero so is not hydrogenated. it is double horse brand which I have been using a fair bit, subtle coconut taste to it.

If you like chinese takeaway curry sauce get these, hot & spicy is my favourite

$%28KGrHqJ,!h4E3ONZGdsqBN7ky5e3iQ~~0_3.JPG

its a paste add to water and boil up, so you might get 1.5L from the tub, tastes very like the takeaways.

I've used that chinese curry sauce before and it's YUM!
    Do you know if they're sugar and gluten free Rubadub? I'm assuming they're not :(

Do you know if they're sugar and gluten free Rubadub? I'm assuming they're not :(
    I don't think so, pretty sure it has wheat flour, definitely has MSG too.

definitely has MSG too.

Probably why it's so yummy :(
    *sniff*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,602 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wollwead wrote: »
    It's great gear altogether as are all things coconut IMO. I use the full fat bad boy (400ml can) chilled overnight in the fridge for a home made smoothie and this will replace a meal even when shared with some one else, it's very filling and full of essential fats and tastes good too. I add in mixed berries, protein whey and mix it in a blender.

It's really helped me with my training (body fat reduction) in the last month - 6 weeks.

Im all for coconut milk and oil.
    But a 400ml can off "full fat" coconur milk as a smoothie is terrible advice for somebody trying to shed body fat. Lots of good fats in there. But at 850cals a can its not a good start if you are on a deficit.

There's lots of uses for it. But a weight loss smoothie isn't one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I use it in curries and stuff and to make dairy free ice cream ( yum yum )
    I've not tried it as a complete replacement for cows milk ( coffee etc ) I can imagine having it on cornflakes but it might be ok in a coffee - I think its very calorie dense though about 3 * calories of full fat milk ( if thats what you are into )

Kara coconut milk has about the same number of calories as semi-skimmed cow's milk.

OP, I love the Kara milk - use it in my cereal and has been a fab replacement for me since I found out I was lactose intolerant - knew the dairy was the problem, but after getting tested recently found out it was the dairy so goat's milk is out for me too.

• Advertisement

Kara coconut milk has about the same number of calories as semi-skimmed cow's milk.

OP, I love the Kara milk - use it in my cereal and has been a fab replacement for me since I found out I was lactose intolerant - knew the dairy was the problem, but after getting tested recently found out it was the dairy so goat's milk is out for me too.

Some confusion here? If dairy is the problem it does not necessarily mean goats milk is out for you? I switched from cows milk to coconut milk and from dairy cheese to goats cheese and no problem. What is problem with goats milk?

Gingko wrote: »
    Some confusion here? If dairy is the problem it does not necessarily mean goats milk is out for you? I switched from cows milk to coconut milk and from dairy cheese to goats cheese and no problem. What is problem with goats milk?

Both cow's milk and goat's milk contain lactose, hence why I can't have either. Goat's milk has slightly less lactose, but not significantly less, so hence is still a huge problem for me.

Both cow's milk and goat's milk contain lactose, hence why I can't have either. Goat's milk has slightly less lactose, but not significantly less, so hence is still a huge problem for me.

I had the food allergy test done myself quite recently. I'm cows milk intolerant and to a lesser extent wheat and whole eggs. They actually recommended goats milk along with soya and coconut milk. So guess I ain't lactose intolerant? Emm? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Have you tried goats milk/cheese. Alot of people that can't have lactose are better able to digest the lactose in goats milk/cheese.

Orla K wrote: »
    Have you tried goats milk/cheese. Alot of people that can't have lactose are better able to digest the lactose in goats milk/cheese.

I have and is still problematic for me. Had it tested for specifically too, and it came up in the test as well as cow's milk.

Gingko wrote: »
    I had the food allergy test done myself quite recently. I'm cows milk intolerant and to a lesser extent wheat and whole eggs. They actually recommended goats milk along with soya and coconut milk. So guess I ain't lactose intolerant? Emm? :confused:

Some people are allergic to different elements in the milk - for me it's the lactose, for others it's the specific protein found in cow's milk. Also, was OrlaK has mentioned, some people who are lactose intolerant can manage goat's milk - think it depends on the level of intolerance perhaps? I do know that for a lot of people the hormones the cow's are given which can be found in their milk can very often be a problem for people.

just so others are aware, this is just a brand which is low calorie as it is heavily diluted with water, most coconut milk is very high in kcals.

kara
    Ingredients: Filtered water, Coconut milk 8.4%, Fruit extract concentrate, Calcium phosphate, Emulsifier: Sucrose ester, Sea salt, Colour: Natural carotene
    http://www.karadairyfree.com/html/product_specifications.html

You could probably just dilute your own regular coconut milk and save a fortune.

Advertisement