Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods in SE France, NW Italy 4th-6th November

Options
  • 04-11-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a risk of quite severe flooding in SE France over the coming weekend.

Here's a couple of resources for anyone who is interested in keeping an eye on the situation as it develops.

Meteo France. An orange alert in place at the moment.

French river gauges and warning system.

Netweather. Select 'North Atlantic Precipitation' and toggle through the +3, +6 etc to see the intensity of the forecasted rain in the hours ahead.

Post up any other good resources.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Wow! Part of meteofrance's warning put through google translate:

"The Cevennes massif (Hérault, Gard, Lozère and Ardèche), the rains will intensify during the night. They will continue during the day Saturday. By Saturday night is still pending the accumulation of additional rain expected over the Cévennes reach 150 to 200 mm or 250 mm very occasionally. Of rainfall on the episode will then reach the Cevennes relief from 350 to 500 mm and may be around 600 to 800mm in particular in the vicinity of the Aigoual."
    The 600mm-800mm predictions are for the highest parts of the massif central region but they are still very high totals!

EDIT:
    Coles wrote: »
    Post up any other good resources.

This site is excellent for severe convective events. They have daily forecasts along with more frequent updates (if you click on "fils infos" on the right) when there is severe weather occuring.
    http://www.keraunos.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Looks like the Italian Alps are going to get battered as well, 200mm widespread over the next 3 days and probably much higher on the mountains. Basically the equivalent of the rain Dublin got for 6 hours lasting for 3 days continuously!

72-777_fmv4.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Rivers are already looking very high in the south..going by the tags on the video I think this is the Hérault river which flowing through the town of Adge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

If that falls as snow on the alps, it could be a very good skiing season!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

If that falls as snow on the alps, it could be a very good skiing season!
    Looks like the worst of the Italian rain will fall north of Turin.

I'll adjust the thread title.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Massive thunderstorms in the last 24-48 over S eastern france and north western italy...6 die in flash flood in genoa today :(

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/04/italy-storms-idUSL6E7M438N20111104

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Meteox.co.uk - European Rainfall Radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Thats a great radar !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hope my family are OK, my mum lives in Lyon, where only the quays flood really, but my sister and other family are at the border of Ardeche and Drome. They got bad floods there I think it was 2/3 years ago... the rivers are down to a stream in the summertime, and can reach ridiculous proportions when thunderstorms happen. Because it doesn't happen that often, it's not really worth their while doing the works to contain them (no flood walls for a practically dry riverbed 7/8 months of the year !).

A facebook friend who lives in Vaison la Romaine recently posted this video, since it was the anniversary of one of the most lethal and destructive floods this area ever experienced. 37 people died that day. This is further away in the mountains, in the Vaucluse area, which is prone to heavy cellular storms.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9o3tvuN5pQ

Let's hope there won't be anything as serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭J6P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Certainly looks like some sort of sub-tropical system alright. All the indications are that it's warm core and models indicate a contracting windfield around the centre as it meanders over the next few days. Interesting to keep an eye on. Well spotted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

At 18 seconds what is that black 'yoke' going against the flow really fast? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfrl4VF39N0&NR=1

That's a person but they blanked their upper body with a blurry white circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks, it so obvious to me now I know but I just couldn't make it out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

By blurry white circle you mean umbrella right?

oh... :o I hadn't seen an umbrella. Hadn't even occured to me it could be one, doh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Winds reached 53 knots (96 km/h), with 80 knot (148 km/h) gusts, at Toulon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭navigator

Genoa is quickly recovering (apart the most affected streets) from the disastrous flood, thanks to the thousands of youth, students, who are spending these days working voluntarly in the mud to help people who suffered big damages and lost almost everything (homes, shops, etc.), they have been called 'mud angels' and are doing a great job

Advertisement