Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think transexualism is a mental illness?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I can't say I'm confused by my own identity and I don't see how peados have anything to do with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

I can't say I'm confused by my own identity and I don't see how peados have anything to do with this thread.

OK but you were as far as I could see.
    That's how it was for me for many years. My gender identity was almost impossible to pin down. The likes of attending an all male secodary school made things so much worse.

The term generally is transgender, which is inclusive of the entire spectrum of gender identity. Intersex is a term given to those born with ambiguous gentialia.

Peados have nothing to do with this thread by the way. They are not people. You cannot use science or logic to discuss the matter the same way you can this subject. Simple really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

For many transgender people, it's not some much confusing, but more of a struggle to come to terms with their own identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

How the Hell did this become about paedophilia? First off, let's differentiate that paedophilia is not child molestation. Child molestation is diddling kids, paedophilia is a sexual attraction to kids. I have a sexual attraction to Lois from Family Guy, I can't fuck her. Now, not all paedophiles are child molesters, same vice-versa. Paedophilia is a recognised preference, same as people who have a preference for chubbies, red heads and tall people, only difference is it's (Rightly) illegal. It's not a mental illness / disorder any more than being into chicks with massive titties is.

Now on with the talk of trannies and sh!t.

For future reference, the term Tranny is quite offensive. Lets not descend further into an off topic debate though. First thread on the subject I've seen in AH that hasn't gone completely pear-shaped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Callipo wrote: »
    Pedo stuff is illness.

The rest isn't.

None of it is an illness in and of itself. It (DSM) is not supposed to be used as a guide to 'illnesses' either. People can have many symptoms which are listed in the DSM, but none of those superficial symptoms indicate what the cause is, or indeed if any 'disorder' exists, so it's completely fallacious to call it a 'mental disorder' in the first place.

None of it is an illness in and of itself. It (DSM) is not supposed to be used as a guide to 'illnesses' either. People can have many symptoms which are listed in the DSM, but none of those superficial symptoms indicate what the cause is, or indeed if any 'disorder' exists, so it's completely fallacious to call it a 'mental disorder' in the first place.

That's the thing about Transgenderism. DSM tries to pigeon hole by exhausting certain methods of identifying certain symptoms while Transgender is a large spectrum of identities and experiences that differ greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's the thing about people making ignorant quantifications... they're often wrong

fyp.. sorry :p

Why thank you. Couldn't have said it better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I haven't even bothered reading the thread tbh, as the title alone has wound me up.

What kind of crap is this. When I was 14 (back in '87) I had a 7" Autobot that turned into a motorbike and a Decepticon/Cybertron that turned into a trans-am. So are you all trying to tell me I imagined that, that I was mentally ill? Gtfo with this shit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I don't know the medical ins-and-outs of it all, but if a person is genuinely happier living as a gender other than the one they were born with, I don't feel it's up to me to pass judgement on them. Better to see somebody happy with their life than needlessly suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I say to hell with those who are trying to make everyone act in unison to an accepted standard. If there was no diversity in the world, we'd all be boring ignorant farts. Diversity helps enlighten people.

Well you're right about that, with out Diversity....

...the world be a boring place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Doesn't seem so to me, as that would imply it's treated/cured via anti depressants and counselling?
    Lol at some of the assessments of paedos btw.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

I know someone who is on hormone treatment, while I know this person about a year (in college) the differance in him (used to be a woman) is unreal, much more out going, happy etc. It's funny I was told his female name, but could never recall it, so I just called him by his chosen male name. Unknown to me at the time, this was one of the nicest things to happen to him, in that I call him, by his name. Some people still and knownly do so to hurt him call him by his female name.

I guess my point is until you've met or know someone who is effected by this then really you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Haelium wrote: »
    Thinking that you are the opposite gender? Yeah, that's a disorder in my book. Of course that makes me a bigot, intolerant, etc, because everything is cultural and the Y chromosome doesn't exist.
    The question was: is it a psychiatric disorder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dudess wrote: »
    Doesn't seem so to me, as that would imply it's treated/cured via anti depressants and counselling?
    Lol at some of the assessments of paedos btw.

Nobody has said that in this thread...
    Anti-depresents would be treating a symptom, not a cause, it would be pointless.

My view is that GRS is also just treating a symptom, not a cause, and is this, pointless.

But the OP asked whether people think it's specifically a mental disorder. I assume if something is recognised as such, it would be treated with drugs for a mental disorder, and therapy. Yet transsexualism isn't, hence me not viewing it that way.

Chorcai wrote: »
    I know someone who is on hormone treatmen

I guess my point is until you've met or know someone who is effected by this then really you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

I know several, as it happens.

But the OP asked whether people think it's specifically a mental disorder. I assume if something is recognised as such, it would be treated with drugs for a mental disorder, and therapy. Yet transsexualism isn't, hence me not viewing it that way.

Not all mental disorders are as easily treated as throwing them some drugs and talking to them about it...

That's a pretty simplistic view of what a psychiatric disorder is or how it is treated.

The only thing that really be helped, long term, with anti-depressants, is Major Depressive disorder or situational depressive episodes.

You can't throw someone with Borderline Personality Disorder or Multiple Personality Disorder some pills, lay them on a couch and assume they will be fine, it doesn't work like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision
    ICD10 wrote:
    Disorders of adult personality and behaviour

Gender identity disorders
    F64.0
    Transsexualism
    A desire to live and be accepted as a member of the opposite sex, usually accompanied by a sense of discomfort with, or inappropriateness of, one's anatomic sex, and a wish to have surgery and hormonal treatment to make one's body as congruent as possible with one's preferred sex.

F64.1
    Dual-role transvestism
    The wearing of clothes of the opposite sex for part of the individual's existence in order to enjoy the temporary experience of membership of the opposite sex, but without any desire for a more permanent sex change or associated surgical reassignment, and without sexual excitement accompanying the cross-dressing.

Gender identity disorder of adolescence or adulthood, nontranssexual type
    Excl.:
    fetishistic transvestism (F65.1)
    F64.2
    Gender identity disorder of childhood
    A disorder, usually first manifest during early childhood (and always well before puberty), characterized by a persistent and intense distress about assigned sex, together with a desire to be (or insistence that one is) of the other sex. There is a persistent preoccupation with the dress and activities of the opposite sex and repudiation of the individual's own sex. The diagnosis requires a profound disturbance of the normal gender identity; mere tomboyishness in girls or girlish behaviour in boys is not sufficient. Gender identity disorders in individuals who have reached or are entering puberty should not be classified here but in F66.-.

Excl.:
    egodystonic sexual orientation (F66.1)
    sexual maturation disorder (F66.0)
    F64.8
    Other gender identity disorders
    F64.9
    Gender identity disorder, unspecified
    Gender-role disorder NOS

Disorders of sexual preference
    Incl.:
    paraphilias
    F65.0
    Fetishism
    Reliance on some non-living object as a stimulus for sexual arousal and sexual gratification. Many fetishes are extensions of the human body, such as articles of clothing or footwear. Other common examples are characterized by some particular texture such as rubber, plastic or leather. Fetish objects vary in their importance to the individual. In some cases they simply serve to enhance sexual excitement achieved in ordinary ways (e.g. having the partner wear a particular garment).

F65.1
    Fetishistic transvestism
    The wearing of clothes of the opposite sex principally to obtain sexual excitement and to create the appearance of a person of the opposite sex. Fetishistic transvestism is distinguished from transsexual transvestism by its clear association with sexual arousal and the strong desire to remove the clothing once orgasm occurs and sexual arousal declines. It can occur as an earlier phase in the development of transsexualism.

Transvestic fetishism
    F65.2
    Exhibitionism
    A recurrent or persistent tendency to expose the genitalia to strangers (usually of the opposite sex) or to people in public places, without inviting or intending closer contact. There is usually, but not invariably, sexual excitement at the time of the exposure and the act is commonly followed by masturbation.

F65.3
    Voyeurism
    A recurrent or persistent tendency to look at people engaging in sexual or intimate behaviour such as undressing. This is carried out without the observed people being aware, and usually leads to sexual excitement and masturbation.

F65.4
    Paedophilia
    A sexual preference for children, boys or girls or both, usually of prepubertal or early pubertal age.

F65.5
    Sadomasochism
    A preference for sexual activity which involves the infliction of pain or humiliation, or bondage. If the subject prefers to be the recipient of such stimulation this is called masochism; if the provider, sadism. Often an individual obtains sexual excitement from both sadistic and masochistic activities.

Masochism
    Sadism
    F65.6
    Multiple disorders of sexual preference
    Sometimes more than one abnormal sexual preference occurs in one person and there is none of first rank. The most common combination is fetishism, transvestism and sadomasochism.

F65.8
    Other disorders of sexual preference
    A variety of other patterns of sexual preference and activity, including making obscene telephone calls, rubbing up against people for sexual stimulation in crowded public places, sexual activity with animals, and use of strangulation or anoxia for intensifying sexual excitement.

Frotteurism
    Necrophilia
    F65.9
    Disorder of sexual preference, unspecified
    Sexual deviation NOS

Seaneh wrote: »

Not all mental disorders are as easily treated as throwing them some drugs and talking to them about it...

That's a pretty simplistic view of what a psychiatric disorder is or how it is treated.

The only thing that really be helped, long term, with anti-depressants, is Major Depressive disorder or situational depressive episodes.

You can't throw someone with Borderline Personality Disorder or Multiple Personality Disorder some pills, lay them on a couch and assume they will be fine, it doesn't work like that.
    Oh I know - I don't mean to be simplistic about it. I know it's far more complex than just drugs, talk therapy and that's that - for the very serious illnesses you cite. But they are treated with drugs like anti psychotics, and counselling, stints in hospital, ECT... Why nothing like these for TS? Apart from counselling to deal with the emotional difficulties they are facing, rather than the condition itself. What mental disorders, if any, aren't treated in the above ways? Genuine question, not trying to be smart.
    IMO the OP is just trying to mask their prejudice by pretending to wonder. I also think viewing TS as a mental disorder seems very Victorian - the way homosexuality was once incorrectly viewed as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Oh I know - I don't mean to be simplistic about it. I know it's far more complex than just drugs, talk therapy and that's that - for the very serious illnesses you cite. But they are treated with drugs like anti psychotics, and counselling, stints in hospital, ECT... Why nothing like these for TS? Apart from counselling to deal with the emotional difficulties they are facing, rather than the condition itself. What mental disorders, if any, aren't treated in the above ways? Genuine question, not trying to be smart.
    IMO the OP is just trying to mask their prejudice by pretending to wonder. I also think viewing TS as a mental disorder seems very Victorian - the way homosexuality was once incorrectly viewed as such.

At the same time, in Victorian times there were no anti-psychotic medications? So would that not have been a psychiatric illness then because they're was no treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

horsemeat wrote: »
    It's listed in the DSM-IV as a psychiatric disorder.

Do you think this reflects adequately on the concept, or is transexualism inherently ingrained in human genetics?

I personally would have to agree that it is a mental illness/psychiatric disorder.
    I imagine that in years to come and with more research, pharmacological treatments will be available to cure this sickness.
    Horsemeat?
    What's your beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Haelium wrote: »
    What if it's paid for by you, the tax payer? It is in Ireland. I contend, that by taking money from the tax payer for this procedure they are taking money away from schools and stuff.

Give Seán FitzPatrick a sex change and don't mind the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Seaneh wrote: »
    My view is that GRS is also just treating a symptom, not a cause
    Could you tell us a bit about your medical and/or psychiatric training?

Anyway, it would appear that you are correct - it would appear that the cause is a developmental issue with the brain, which is untreatable (thank god - I'd hate to live in a world where science could mess with the brain to that extent).
    and is this, pointless.
    Since when is treating a symptom pointless?!

horsemeat wrote: »
    I imagine that in years to come and with more research, pharmacological treatments will be available to cure this sickness.

A-waaah, a-waaah, some people do something I don't understand so I have to call it a sickness.

The same thing used to be said about homosexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Da_Doc

A-waaah, a-waaah, some people do something I don't understand so I have to call it a sickness.

The OP posted a question on the forum, he/she had an opinion that it can be cured. There was some adult discussion on the matter. Maybe the OP changed opinion, maybe not following this discussion.

If we are not allowed to discuss what can be perceived as our predjudices with people directly affected by or with different opinions on the situation then our original opinion cannot be changed.

Of course some posters will come in with stupid trolling comments with no notion of changing their minds but i didnt get the impression the OP fell into this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Chorcai wrote: »
    It's funny I was told his female name, but could never recall it, so I just called him by his chosen male name. Unknown to me at the time, this was one of the nicest things to happen to him, in that I call him, by his name. Some people still and knownly do so to hurt him call him by his female name.
    Yeah, that's the way it works now. He's supposed to call them a girls name back and hit them a slap in the jaw. Didn't he get the introduction to male bonding pamphlet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been dealt with already but I just felt that I should point out that mental disorders and genetics aren't mutually exclusive.

Almost all of the classic mental disorders, schitzophrenia, anxiety, depression, autism, personality disorders etc etc have genetic aspects as part of their eitiology or neuropathology. To classify something as a mental disorder is not to say there aren't physical aspects to it at the genetic or neural organisation level. The brain is an organic system and it's part of your body there's no such thing as saying 'it's all in their head' when if comes to mental disorders such as transexualism.
    Just because transexualism is classified as a mental disorder doesn't mean it mightn't best be treated by hormone therapy or surgery depending on the context of specificy cases.

Also, don't take the DSM-IV as the be all and end all of mental disorders or as being any way infallible. A lot of the disoders in the DSM are only classified as distinct disorders because insurance companies won't pay for treatment for non-defined disorders or illnesses. That means if transexualism wasn't in the DSM IV insurance companies might refuse to pay for treatment on the basis that they've never heard of this 'transexualism thing.'

Inclusion in the DSM-IV is not a judgement of insanity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement