Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers Prime SE 1 EP 1 and 2 Darkness Rising SPOILERS

Options
  • 29-11-2010 12:58pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought we could do with a discussion thread!

What's everyone think so far?

I was very disappointed the Rock was stunt casting. I do hope CJ will be back. I mean it served it purpose- This series is clearly going to be very comparatively dark- but I warmed to Cliff immediately and it was a pity to see him go.

Prime is Prime. Seemed classic, vintage G1 Prime to me.

Megs seems to be quite threatening. Always good.

Not sure about Soundwave yet.

Quite like creepy Screamer, with his talons and greasiness.

Of the bots Bulkhead and Ratchet immediately jumped out as very likeable.

Fight scenes seemed a bit... meh. Difficult to see and just alot of gun fire. Lacked alot of the heart of Animated fight scenes.

Humans aren't annoying me yet but seem to be totally totally totally devoid of originality (effectively we have Sam from the movies, chip who's young instead of wheel chair bound, and a cosplaying nerd visually based on Verity from IDW.)

I quite like the human agent.

Overall I thought it was ok, there seemed to be alot rehashed from the films and previous series (in a cliche, not homaging way) so I hope this goes in it's own direction soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Watched the first part of episode 1 today. I'm quite impressed overall.

Nice dialogue. when Arcee and Cliffjumper were talking it felt realistic, something mssing from most Transformers 'toons where dialogue is usually only used to narrate what is happening/going to happen next.

Cliffjumper's demise was surprising as he seemed like a good character. It was also quite horrific, being stabbed in the chest complete with blood oil dripping out.
    Which brings me on to Starscream, what a creepy bugger! A very nice take on the character.
    Soundwave seems spot on (from what little I've seen). A man of few words, lets his recordings to the talking. "Lend every man thine ear, but few thy voice." (bit of Shakespeare in a Transformers forum, how do you like that?)
    Prime is proper Optimus Prime, wise and sensible. Hopefully he won't go "Not today!" on us.
    Arcee is arguably the best character so far. Unlike previous Arcees (or indeed female TFs in general) where she's been too motherly or an over the top female badass (or a nutjob psycho like in IDW) she seems to have struck a nice balance between noble protector and badassery.
    Jack is just copy n' paste Sam from the movies. He even dresses the same. Whatever. No biggie.
    I eve thought the Genericons were decent. They manage to be menacing enough to provide an actual challenge to the 'bots. ie: not simply cannon fodder.

So far, so good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Part 3 is on tonight. Looking forward to getting the filthy mitts on it.

Part 3 is on tonight. Looking forward to getting the filthy mitts on it.

is it on UK TV?

Galvasean wrote: »
    is it on UK TV?

Not to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

stayed away from all the spoilery stuff to come fresh to this so all ive really seen is the preview bit from way back of BB driving off the overpass, transforming , and hittin the cons.

gotta say i enjoyed this ALOT more than i thought i would.

feel very like IDWs inflitration repleat with a verity clone and for once i actually didnt despise the humans.

in fact how they get brought into the TFs world was very well done and gave a good feel of a secret war going on that most dont see.

the comedy worked for me (loved arcees "havnet you heard ? humans multiply" line) and CJ dying came RIGHT out of the blue to me, didnt see that happening at all.

in fact the whole zombie thing was downright brilliant, but im under no illusion that he's gonna stay that way. ratchets a medic for crying out loud, sorting this stuff is his job.

im a BIT wary about the whole unicron thing and hope he's only going to be referenced now and again as like galactus the more you see of him the less effect he has, so i hope they keep him as just a cultural thing.

i was VERY wary about the reinterpretations but im liking this starscream more than any in years , the interaction between him and megs when they resurect CJ was sublime, and i LOVE megs head . suitably terrifying looking.

all in all theres alot more in this than i thought there'd be and im well jazzed for the series. the fact it starts off so sedate makes the action all the more fun when it happens and the fact the cast is so small means you can actually understand why the participants use disguise instead of just leveling the planet fighting each other.

that said you'd think SOMEONE would see that ship !

:)

• Advertisement

just saw eps 3 and 4.

Will go into it later but 4 especially ROCKS pretty hard.

Bulkhead is an awesome character. So's Ratchet. Prime is how I remember him as a child. Megatron is chilling, and screamer is a very good reimagining.

It's getting better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Well the first arc is over now and don't think it's due back until mid January at the earliest.

Darkness Rising was the best opening to a TF series ever in my opinion.

Good cast of characters and excellent voice acting. Looks great and the action scenes are done well, especially Bulkhead in Part 4.

I deliberately avoided spoilers for this show and was delighted when Ratchet spoke and Jeffrey Combs voice came out of the speakers.
    Hopefully Megatron will stay gone for most if not all of the next arc and we get to have Starscream in charge for a while. Really liking this version of the character. They're exploring his scientist background as well as being his usual backstabbing self.

I really wasn't sure about this until part 4 but it was all good from there on in, REALLY good.

That said, I think we can do without Raf's
    90's movie hacker skillz
    . That's hopelessly outdated and made me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

[WARNING: spoilers ahead]

Watched this over the last few days not expecting much after the last few animated efforts but I was very pleasantly surprised!! :D

As noted, Optimus is "classic" (G1) Prime - complete with voice - and I only realised when I watched the credits for episode 5 that Frank Welker is back as Megatron (though I THOUGHT I recognized a bit of G1 Megatron's "hoarseness" along the line). That alone for me makes it worthwhile!!

I'm liking the new slant on Starscream... not quite the sniveling coward from G1, but still as duplicitous as ever!

Soundwave I'm not sold on yet to be honest, and all the genericons was a bit of a let-down. Why not some more individuals?

As for the bots, Bulkhead definitely grew on me (especially after episode 4), as did Arcee - Bumblebee much like Soundwave didn't really stand out either way.

Rachet was great and I do love Weyoun's... sorry Jeffrey Comb's voice acting :)

Agent Fowler was pretty good overall save for the "comedy" moments after the rescue.

The humor was very good generally though I thought ("I know I know... the first rule of Robot FightClub is you don't talk about Robot Fight Club" :p) and the kids managed to not be annoying for the most part while fitting into the storyline.

The animation was pretty good I thought even though I think the faces lack detail. but the style reminded me a bit more of the recent War for Cybertron than the movies - which is a good thing imo!

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this :)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    [WARNING: spoilers ahead]

Watched this over the last few days not expecting much after the last few animated efforts but I was very pleasantly surprised!! :D

Did you not like Animated? I thought that had some of the best televised TF moments ever, bar none.

• Advertisement

I see episodes 6-10 are out... just watched the first of the new batch and still liking this.

Soo.. 23 episodes later and this has just gotten better and better in my opinion..

Soundwave is still anonymous (unfortunately), there's still too much reliance on genericons but the individuals that have been established (Breakdown, Airachnid, Knock Out) are very good, Starscream is excellent and Megatron is perhaps best as a mix of G1 Megatron and early/movie era Galvatron (before he went crazy!) - ominous, threatening and less prone to the mad crazy schemes.

On the bots side, the kids input seem to have been scaled way back (save for Miko) which isn't a bad thing and like the Cons, everyone has been given a bit of a back story and character (with the possible exception of Bumblebee who is there, but rarely does much except beep n whistle like R2D2)

I love the nods (reference/quotes) to classic G1 and the ongoing story arc, combined with a darker theme overall make this a more "mature" Transformers I think. The way this latest episode ended (especially Prime's decision) has been the best yet I think.

Anyone else still watching this?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Yup, when I get the chance. I'm about 7 episodes in and enjoying it. Have a few days off coming up and planning on catching up on the remaining episodes.

Looking forward to it!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Soo.. 23 episodes later and this has just gotten better and better in my opinion..

Soundwave is still anonymous (unfortunately), there's still too much reliance on genericons but the individuals that have been established (Breakdown, Airachnid, Knock Out) are very good, Starscream is excellent and Megatron is perhaps best as a mix of G1 Megatron and early/movie era Galvatron (before he went crazy!) - ominous, threatening and less prone to the mad crazy schemes.

On the bots side, the kids input seem to have been scaled way back (save for Miko) which isn't a bad thing and like the Cons, everyone has been given a bit of a back story and character (with the possible exception of Bumblebee who is there, but rarely does much except beep n whistle like R2D2)

I love the nods (reference/quotes) to classic G1 and the ongoing story arc, combined with a darker theme overall make this a more "mature" Transformers I think. The way this latest episode ended (especially Prime's decision) has been the best yet I think.

Anyone else still watching this?

I'm waiting for it to complete, then I am going to watch the whole thing through :)

I'm about halfway through and think it's possibly the best TF series ever.

Like DooM, I'm going to wait for the rest and watch it all.

How many episodes are going to be in this season?

I'm about halfway through and think it's possibly the best TF series ever.

Like DooM, I'm going to wait for the rest and watch it all.

How many episodes are going to be in this season?
    24 afaik.. Season finale should be next week.

Sweet.

Get them all down over the next week so.

Sweet.

Get them all down over the next week so.

Way ahead of ya :p

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Without mentioning any spoilers, are people happy with the Finale?

Thought it was really cool and did a good job of introducing some of the history form other TV versions.

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Without mentioning any spoilers, are people happy with the Finale?

Thought it was really cool and did a good job of introducing some of the history form other TV versions.
    +1 (Spoilers ahead!)

As with the rest of this season, it was an excellent way to tie some of the G1/other continuity (Vector Sigma, Orion Pax, Megatron as a former Gladiator, corrupt leading council etc) into the new show :)

Bit of an anti-climax with Unicron though, but his coercing Megatron to take down Prime was another nice reference to the similar scene in the G1 movie with Unicron forcing Galvatron to fight Hot Rod at the end) - in fact I half expected Unicron to transform Megs into his next incarnation - hopefully without the craziness though! :p

Loved the Soundwave/Airachnia fight as well.. in fact this whole series has just been great and the setup for season 2 will have me coming back for more anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Well, i've seen it all now!

The series literally got better and better as it went along. I thought Darkness rising was a little shaky in truth, but the quality of story and visual effects gets so much better as the series goes along.

You may not know how tight a schedule Prime runs on, but the first episodes were done with days to spare and I think it shows to be honest.

The character episodes are excellent, and the final arc with it's Cliffhanger was amazing. I LOVED the way they used something which is so bog standard G1
    Prime using the Matrix and the "Wisdom of the Primes to stop Unicron"
    and twisted it into something original
    Prime literally losing all the wisdom he's had since being PRime

I really, really hope they don't fix Prime immediately in the first episode. There could be a really cool dynamic of him as the young and naive Optronix challenging Megatron's modern philosophy, corrupted from what it once was. It'd also be interesting if Megatron has any brotherly feelings towards him as he used to.

Maybe I am looking too much into it, but there's sooo much they could do with it and TBH Prime hasn't taken the easy route out yet for me plot line wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Well, i've seen it all now!

The series literally got better and better as it went along. I thought Darkness rising was a little shaky in truth, but the quality of story and visual effects gets so much better as the series goes along.

You may not know how tight a schedule Prime runs on, but the first episodes were done with days to spare and I think it shows to be honest.

The character episodes are excellent, and the final arc with it's Cliffhanger was amazing. I LOVED the way they used something which is so bog standard G1
    Prime using the Matrix and the "Wisdom of the Primes to stop Unicron"
    and twisted it into something original
    Prime literally losing all the wisdom he's had since being PRime

I really, really hope they don't fix Prime immediately in the first episode. There could be a really cool dynamic of him as the young and naive Optronix challenging Megatron's modern philosophy, corrupted from what it once was. It'd also be interesting if Megatron has any brotherly feelings towards him as he used to.

Maybe I am looking too much into it, but there's sooo much they could do with it and TBH Prime hasn't taken the easy route out yet for me plot line wise.

To answer your question re Prime
    The story arc runs for a couple of episodes - remember Prime handed Jack the key to Vector Sigma (no doubt that will play a part)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

HOW HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE!!!!!!!

Avoided reading most of the posts and I dont want to know anything about it before I watch it, but is it good yeah?? The teaser trailers look like it has potential!

HOW HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE!!!!!!!

Avoided reading most of the posts and I dont want to know anything about it before I watch it, but is it good yeah?? The teaser trailers look like it has potential!

Long story short: Starts out ok, gets better, couple of dud episodes but ends up awesome.

To answer your question re Prime
    The story arc runs for a couple of episodes - remember Prime handed Jack the key to Vector Sigma (no doubt that will play a part)

Is there spoilers out for S2 already? :D I know it's a short break, but jeebus!

Yeah, I thought that would be an important McGuffin all right.

Long story short: Starts out ok, gets better, couple of dud episodes but ends up awesome.

Off to Warez I go so :pac:

Cheers Doom

Is there a DVD release planned for here? I refuse to get DotM on BluRay and want a new Transformers disk in time for Xmas.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Is there a DVD release planned for here? I refuse to get DotM on BluRay and want a new Transformers disk in time for Xmas.

Why do you refuse to get DOTM on Blu Ray?

Just watched ep1...... and then downloaded the entire season!!! Looks very promising!

• Advertisement

For reasons I have neither time nor energy to express right now, I hated DotM.

Advertisement