Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin Lizzy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

jpm4 wrote: »
    His drumming was apparently the only thing that wasn't completely rerecorded in the studio.

Live and Dangerous is a great record but calling it an actual live record is a bit of a joke to be honest.

Like Kiss Alive then yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

bazmaiden wrote: »
    Like Kiss Alive then yeah?

Yup, or that Priest album Unleashed in the East/Studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 svicks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I saw them play a few times way back. I remember seeing phil lynott on grafton street once...

I havent really listened to them in years though. I was talking to a musician friend and he told me what was unique about them was that they were incredibly musically technical, they used unusual chords and tuning etc.

I'm not a musician though so its hard form me to appreciate...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FYI...
    Fans get their Phil as lost Thin Lizzy treasure surfaces

By Ken Sweeney Entertainment Editor
    Friday November 04 2011
    FOR years we were told 'home taping' was killing music.

But fans of Thin Lizzy have been thanked by a record label after providing a home taping of the rock group's first BBC session.

It had been thought that no recording of that historic session existed -- but it now makes up a central part of a new €90 boxset.

'Thin Lizzy -- Live at the BBC' features over 80 songs recorded by Phil Lynott and the group during the '70s and '80s.

But because the BBC wiped many of the recordings after they were broadcast, Universal Music had to appeal to fans for help with lost sessions.

After posting messages to social-networking sites, label bosses were stunned when they received a home-taped cassette of Thin Lizzy's very first BBC session.

It dates from July 7, 1971, and was recorded for Stuart Henry's 'Sounds of the '70s' show on the BBC.

It was previously believed to have been lost forever.

"This is almost the Holy Grail to fans as this session is not only Thin Lizzy's first for the BBC, but probably the first time they were played on the radio," said Steve Hammonds, of Universal, who oversaw the new project.

Despite being recorded on cassette, studio engineers were able to remove any hiss from the tape, and boost and deepen the sound recordings to CD quality.

It means Lynott originals 'Look What The Wind Blew In' and 'Return of The Famer's Son' feature as opening tracks on the new boxset.

That 1971 Thin Lizzy line-up featured Lynott, original guitarist Eric Bell, and Brian Downey on drums.

But subsequent guitarist Scott Gorham revealed how the group almost split over a later BBC session -- and some facial hair.

Session

"We hadn't seen each other for about two weeks, and drummer Brian Downey turned up at the BBC session with a beard," he said. "Phil Lynott went mad at him saying, 'I'm the only one in Thin Lizzy who's allowed to have facial hair', and he demanded that Brian shave it off right there.

"Brian refused and there was a huge row between them. Thankfully, Brian relented and agreed to shave but the headlines could have been 'Lizzy splits as drummer won't shave'."

Fellow guitarist Brian Robertson credits the influential Radio One DJ John Peel with getting their foot in the door with the BBC. Their second BBC session in November 1972 was for Peel.

"John Peel was a major fan and a big supporter of Thin Lizzy in the early days. That counted for a lot. Doing sessions for his radio show gave us a huge platform in the UK," he said.

The band did 14 sessions in total for the BBC, and the boxset contains six CDs and one DVD.

Universal Music has said its release is a direct result of fresh interest in the band from fans around the world.

"There has been a phenomenal resurgence of interest in Thin Lizzy during the past 12 months," Mr Hammonds said.

"Part of it is due to Thin Lizzy going back out on the road as a live band.

"For example, they played Slane Castle this year with the Kings Of Leon, who have cited them as an influence and have helped introduce them to a new generation of fans.

"The 25th anniversary of Phil Lynott passing this year has also been a factor; Phil Lynott remains an icon of rock and icons stay with us forever."

Deluxe remastered versions of Thin Lizzy albums 'Nightlife' (1974) and 'Fighting' (1975) will also be released next February.

The original Thin Lizzy split in 1983 with singer and songwriter Lynott passing away on January 4, 1986, from heart failure and pneumonia. He was aged just 36.

The boxset, which is released today, retails at €90.

A two-disc edition is available for €10.

- Ken Sweeney Entertainment Editor

Irish Independent
    Woo hoo!

Edit: specific track details available here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I've been listening to nothing but these guys for the past few days, not an idea why. I haven't been through all of their discography but what I'm listening to now is truly great. Have with me at the moment Chinatown, Jailbreak, Bad Reputation and Black Rose: A Rock Legend on play. Missing any other essentials?

Also, general Thin Lizzy discussion here.

How about 'Thunder And Lightning' from 1983. It's an excellent album, and the guitar riffs, vocals, lyrics etc are all class. 'Johnny The Fox' is not quite essential, but there are some class songs on it like 'Fools Gold, Massacre, Boogie Woogie Dance, Johnny, Rocky and Don't Believe a Word'. 'Borderline' is also very good, but maybe not quite as class as the other songs I mentioned. I never really liked the soft songs like 'Old Flame' and 'Sweet Marie' that much at all. Hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kbannon wrote: »

That €90 price I saw in my local HMV today and the €93.99 price at cdwow.ie are pretty dear for it.

I pre ordered it from Amazon with free postage for £64.99 which is roughly €75.

The two cd version is £6.99 on amazon, while the instore price in HMV this morning is more than double that when currency conversion is taken into account.

The rip off prices in Ireland is pretty much whuy I buy almost all my cds and blu ray online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

It's worth investigating the other Amazons for even lower prices.

The Thin Lizzy set has now dropped to €52.97 from Amazon.de. Click.

Amazon Canada has been pretty good of late - pretty low prices on the deluxe The Smiths, Beach Boys and Serge Gainsbourg sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,829 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I've been listening to nothing but these guys for the past few days, not an idea why. I haven't been through all of their discography but what I'm listening to now is truly great. Have with me at the moment Chinatown, Jailbreak, Bad Reputation and Black Rose: A Rock Legend on play. Missing any other essentials?

Also, general Thin Lizzy discussion here.

You should definitely take a listen to Johnny The Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I appreciate the suggestions guys but I asked that in May of 2010! I'm well versed in their discography now! Even got to see them live with Alice Cooper and Def Leppard, although nowhere near as good with Philo but seeing Brian Downey was a treat since I'm a drummer myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Zico !

Loving Thin Lizzy tonight best rock band to come out of Ireland never forget

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Zico ! wrote: »
    Loving Thin Lizzy tonight best rock band to come out of Ireland never forget
    How many antique threads can you resurrect in one night?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Zico !

kbannon wrote: »
    How many antique threads can you resurrect in one night?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Happy Bday Phil Lynott

The music world could be a bit different if he was still with us :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Don't Believe A Word is my fave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Any one the name of the pub in the.old town video
    Think I drank there once

So any plans of a reunion for 2019 ???

Not sure who's actually in BSR nowadays and this Lizzy has been a fairly revolving door

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

mean gene wrote: »
    Any one the name of the pub in the.old town video
    Think I drank there once

Great pub, the long hall on georges street

RIP Philo

Gone 33 years today

Band playing a few gigs around Europe and not playing in Ireland where it all started for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Band playing a few gigs around Europe and not playing in Ireland where it all started for them

Sadly they don't do the numbers here for whatever reason, Brian Downey and Scott Gorham often tour with their bands and can't sell out the club venues. Understandably Thin Lizzy died with Phil for a lot of people but even so I figure it's nice to support those guys in tribute but clearly not enough people do really underwhelming for me and in general outside of the touring aspect bar the odd background advertising of Whiskey in the Jar or Boys are Back in Town for a world renowned band it's a shame they aren't appreciated more by their home country imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Darren is back with them and they have yer man from Mastodon, Troy Sanders, on bass

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

scudzilla wrote: »
    So what do ya make of the new Lizzy line-up?

Ricky Warwick (The Almighty)
    Scott Gorham
    Brian Downey
    Vivian Campbell
    Marco Mendoza
    Darren Wharton

That sure is a curve ball

be very hard to replace Phil, not too sure where you got [The ALMIGHTY] :confused: Has anyone seen 'Limehouse Lizzy' [utube] doing a good job but i guess they'll never tour here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

decky1 wrote: »
    be very hard to replace Phil, not too sure where you got [The ALMIGHTY] :confused: Has anyone seen 'Limehouse Lizzy' [utube] doing a good job but i guess they'll never tour here.

Ricky's band was 'The Almighty'

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

scudzilla wrote: »
    Ricky's band was 'The Almighty'

ooops:o

decky1 wrote: »

Limehouse Lizzy are a great band and saw them a few times but sadly they have not played in Ireland in years. Prob cost too much to travel over here etc

Really hope Thin Lizzy get a sort of revival here as they deserve it. Obv you still here the odd tune but not not as much. Might get a spark when/if they release that new Phil doc

The BSR lineup play odd enough places/festivals but have some great guest members which shows how much of an infulence there music was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I saw Lizzy in 2011 in Castlebar, huge fan but was massively skeptical about going to the gig (no Phil and all that way before my time) but I think it was a Bank Holiday and had nothing else to do so went.

That gig was amazing. So much fun. Even got a pic off Scott and met Brian and Mendoza, Warwick and Fortus who was handling guitar duties. That line up was excellent and did the material great justice. Phil would have been proud.

There seemed to be a promotional push around that time in light of Phil's 25th year of passing and some remastering of albums were done also, so the name was out there again. The Phil Lynott exhibition helped too.

A docu drama/film really needs to be made; the Lizzy story has everything that would make same compelling to watch because I fear that the Lizzy name is beginning to fade once again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Saw clips of them from a few days ago they were brutal. Call it a day lads. Brian Downeys gone now aswell.

mean gene wrote: »
    Saw clips of them from a few days ago they were brutal. Call it a day lads. Brian Downeys gone now aswell.

Its farcical looking through this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thin_Lizzy_members

No doubt all good musicians but the revolving lineups is a bit meh and makes a small mockery of the legacy. They were great when I saw them in 2011/12 and even met them after paying for a VIP package for an Olympia show. Was quite funny basically all the members came down to the bar and it was every man for himself to try and chat with them, think it was only 20 mins and we all had to leave and then the real VIPs came in. Any lineup with Phil in it will not be beaten and it must of been amazing to see live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

i
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Its farcical looking through this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thin_Lizzy_members

No doubt all good musicians but the revolving lineups is a bit meh and makes a small mockery of the legacy. They were great when I saw them in 2011/12 and even met them after paying for a VIP package for an Olympia show. Was quite funny basically all the members came down to the bar and it was every man for himself to try and chat with them, think it was only 20 mins and we all had to leave and then the real VIPs came in. Any lineup with Phil in it will not be beaten and it must of been amazing to see live

Scott is more or less in charge of the Lizzy name now. It's a tad ridiculous that there's a revolving door of musicians having a go under the Lizzy banner these days, but I guess he sees no harm in going out and playing a handful of shows under the Lizzy name these days.

BSR is the main priory for Gorham now and Brian Downey is tired of touring extensively. If Downey is not in I am not bothered.

Advertisement