Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Oldskool Appreciation Party - O.A.P's thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

any1 interested in techno, should get their arses over to http://onlyoldskool.com/radio.html this, and every tuesday fo the best in techno, from detroit, right up to hardcore techno, and everything in between. chatroom is always great banter with a friendly crowd, all welcome :)

14uxdfk.jpg

and also just a reminder about tomorrow all-dayer, should be epic!!!

bangers.jpg

http://onlyoldskool.com/radio.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

SteoL wrote: »

Never heard that Banana Sausage track before.....or more like, I'm sure I did hear it before but can't remember it! :D Great use of Energy Flash as a sample.

Just did a discogs on the Wishdokta there as I've a few tunes of his, didn't realise that it's actually Grant Nelson. Now there's one for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

EsCeential listening for the man like Ratty :D

Dance Nation - Summer Ball 1992

.............Is there anyway to edit the oldskool sets to eliminate the dodgy MC's and just leave the tunes?

• Advertisement

Can you handle the Randall? :cool:

Tracklisting:
    Babylon Timewarp - Durban poison - Intense
    DJ Trax - 1 man 1 DJ - Moving Shadow
    Potential Badboy - Work the box - Limited E
    Bay-B-Kane - Hello darkness - Ruff Guidance
    Edge Of Darkness - Come together - ADR
    Da Bass Invaders - Time to kik - Hilltop
    Hannibal Lecter - Suicide - Asylum (Mixed in and straight out)
    EQ - Total extasy - Formation
    Project 1 - Dancehall Vibes - Marshall Gold
    Waxdoctor - A new direction - Basement
    Ozone Nights - Deep in your eyes (Manix remix) - Reinforced
    The Moog - Jungle muffin (Mickey Finn remix) - Delirious
    Nasty Habbits - Here come the drums (Remix) - Reinforced
    Bizzy B & Peshay - All crew hold tight - Brain
    The Charm - De-Men-Tation - Base Overdose EP
    Jonny L - Hurt you so - YoYo
    Noise Factory - To the top - Ibiza
    3 Sample - Rewind come again
    Guy Called Gerald - 28 gun badboy - Juicebox
    Waxdoctor - Another direction - Basement
    Tic Tac Toe - Ethemerol - TTT
    Darkman - Darken me with your presense EP - F Project
    4 Hero - The element (High noon) - Reinforced
    Wots My Code - Dubplate - XLR8
    DJ Crystl - Drop XTC - Lucky Spin
    Dub II - Bad man - Big City
    Noise Factory - The fire - 3rd Party
    4 Hero - Journey from the light - Reinforced
    D Livin - Why - D Livin
    Tight Control - The way forward - Bear Necessities
    Intense - Whitehouse groove - ULR
    Bay B Kane - Quarter to doom - Ruff Guidance
    Manix - Turn away skull - Reinforced
    Pseudo 3 - Renk and dirty - Music Madness
    Chaos and Julia Set - Atmosphere - Recoil
    B.R.O.T.H.E.R. Congress - Concrete jungle dub - Tribal Bass

*did ya notice anything? ....... yep, No MC shyting out of them over the tunes!!! deadly!

My all time favourite Randall set ...... with THE only MC to actually compliment a set .... GQ!! ........if you've not heard it before,this is a fookin savage set well worth a listen!

\:cool:/ \:D/ \:)/ \:P/

:D Anyone wanna play 'name that tune' or 'The Tracklist Game' ?

Seduction Vol 3 - Eclipse Coventry

Hyper Hyper ......

DJ Hype in effect :cool: fookin savage mix (even with the scratching)

SeeeerEos Drumgle & Bass :D

Tracklist:
    1. We Must Unite - DJ Hype
    2. Remember The Roller - Dr. S. Gachet 05:40
    3. Valley Of The Shadows - Origin Unknown 07:57
    4. Ganja Man (DJ Hype Remix) - DJ Krome & Mr. Time 11:45
    5. Babylon - Splash 17:01
    6. Truly One (Original) - Origin Unknown 24:40
    7. Pulp Fiction - Alex Reece 30:05
    8. Peace, Love & Unity - DJ Hype
    9. Oh! Gosh - Undercover Agent
    10. R-Type - Jo
    11. The Chopper (Ray Keith Dirty Chopper Remix) - The Terrorist
    12. Six Million Ways To Die - Dope Skillz
    13. Screwface - Brainkillers
    14. P.Funk Era - P-Funk
    15. Terrrorist - Renegade

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Hyper Hyper ......

DJ Hype in effect :cool: fookin savage mix (even with the scratching)

SeeeerEos Drumgle & Bass :D

Tracklist:
    1. We Must Unite - DJ Hype
    2. Remember The Roller - Dr. S. Gachet 05:40
    3. Valley Of The Shadows - Origin Unknown 07:57
    4. Ganja Man (DJ Hype Remix) - DJ Krome & Mr. Time 11:45
    5. Babylon - Splash 17:01
    6. Truly One (Original) - Origin Unknown 24:40
    7. Pulp Fiction - Alex Reece 30:05
    8. Peace, Love & Unity - DJ Hype
    9. Oh! Gosh - Undercover Agent
    10. R-Type - Jo
    11. The Chopper (Ray Keith Dirty Chopper Remix) - The Terrorist
    12. Six Million Ways To Die - Dope Skillz
    13. Screwface - Brainkillers
    14. P.Funk Era - P-Funk
    15. Terrrorist - Renegade

scratchin makes his sets, wont get an irish dance dj doin that anytime quick ;)

• Advertisement

:eek: 'kin deadly' set

DJ Hype @ Helter Skelter 'The Outer Limits' March 98

\:D/

drop into chat, there will be a series of questions being asked and the prize is two free tickets to dreamscape at the end of the month. mega give-away!!!!

http://onlyoldskool.com/radio.html

es-cee wrote: »
    scratchin makes his sets, wont get an irish dance dj doin that anytime quick ;)

Probably because scratching would sound even worse on Irish Dancing tunez :D ........

Just wondering though, giving what you say "scratchin makes his sets" would they be shyte sets without all the wicka waaaa wicka waaaa wickaaaaz ?

"let me 'ear it one time for the fog horn - oooiiiii oiiiiii"

Probably because scratching would sound even worse on Irish Dancing tunez :D ........

Just wondering though, giving what you say "scratchin makes his sets" would they be shyte sets without all the wicka waaaa wicka waaaa wickaaaaz ?

"let me 'ear it one time for the fog horn - oooiiiii oiiiiii"

nope, he's a top dj but he adds to all the dope mixin with scratchin it up, as well as using 4 decks ;)

Wouldn't be much of a gamer these days ...... used to love the GTA series though ....this looks the dogs!

GTA5

:confused: wonder will it be out on PS2 lol ........ yep, it's been that long since I gamed! :o

when have ya seen any DANCE DJ doin this live at a gig you were at?

only time ya'll be at a gig with better scratchin is a dmc type gig!

when have ya seen any DANCE DJ doin this live at a gig you were at?

only time ya'll be at a gig with better scratchin is a dmc type gig!

TBH, never! ....never went out to watch a DJ scratch,wouldn't get me out, imo scratching is an ego thing for the DJ not the crowd , that and it gives him something else to do between tunes ;) , not saying there's no audience for it, I know loads of peeps like it and i'm probably in the minority,just me personally I prefer the tunes & the mixing.

The scratchin I could probably handle ........ the MC woulda drove me to the exit door though!

If I could pick & choose I'd prefer a gig where the DJ just amazed me with a full on set of mixing savage tunes ..... no scratching, no MC, just 2 hands, 2 turntables,pile of vinyl ...........and 2 white doves :D (for me not the DJ)

TBH, never! ....never went out to watch a DJ scratch,wouldn't get me out, imo scratching is an ego thing for the DJ not the crowd , that and it gives him something else to do between tunes ;) , not saying there's no audience for it, I know loads of peeps like it and i'm probably in the minority,just me personally I prefer the tunes & the mixing.

The scratchin I could probably handle ........ the MC woulda drove me to the exit door though!

If I could pick & choose I'd prefer a gig where the DJ just amazed me with a full on set of mixing savage tunes ..... no scratching, no MC, just 2 hands, 2 turntables,pile of vinyl ...........and 2 white doves :D (for me not the DJ)

i'd say ya are in the minority then with uk tunage tbh, nearly every hardcore tune back then had a scratch sample of some sort in it (and you call yourself a hardcore raver, '92 ? :D) as for the MC, he is shíte, but then again, so are most. if it weren't for the dub reggae crowd, MC's wouldn't exist, so fúckin shame on that lot! i like hearing a dj mix it up, i like hearing, and really appreciate trick mixing as well as scratching. the thing i absolutely hate above all else, is a dj throwing so many effects over a mix, that ya can't tell where one tune starts, and another ends. nowadays with some, no all dj's, its mega build ups & drops, nothing else, and its really fúcked it up for me i must say, do not enjoy it what so ever! one thing i will give hype tho, he uses his own skills, no stupid amount of effects to get his set across, its his own two hands and nothing else. i really can't get over dj's throwing copious amounts of 'reverb' over a tune that has too much in it to begin with, its totally ridiculous imo, and just don't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

yeah, you defo right key, it will never be the same for the peeps who've been there from the start of something, once even the most minute change has been made lol.
    the only thing i have from back then, and now btw, with irish clubbing, is the total lack of variation in music. its been house, trance & techno at the helm for the better part of 22 years now, maybe?
    i know there have been the odd club here and there catering for drum n bass or dubstep (these days) but thats it really. stale comes to mind when i think of those 3 genres above now, especially the way trance went from 97 onwards.
    if the ormond were still open now, with the way its been described as leaning more and more towards the mainstream towards the end, i think headline acts would include van buren and everybody's fav, tiesto lol, cringe at the thought :eek:

EDIT: in a way i'm glad the temple is gone too, as i would hate to see those two playing there, and the way irish clubbing is today it would be inevitable.

It's hard to know Sean if the demand was ther for hardcore/Jungle.Ok you could argue that ther was'nt an awful lot of promoting for this type of music weather it be on the radio or i clubs.But i do know from my own experience that i was actually into hardcore/jungle/breaks n beats and i did have tapes and ther were 1 or 2 radio stations that played it 1 being coast fm which i've mentioned beofre.But i could never find 2 many people that were in to it meself.Any of my m8s who were into dance and clubbing just did'nt like it at all.As i tried countless times to get them to listen to it at parties or on coast fm.But they just could'nt tolerate it.

aceberg wrote: »
    It's hard to know Sean if the demand was ther for hardcore/Jungle.Ok you could argue that ther was'nt an awful lot of promoting for this type of music weather it be on the radio or i clubs.But i do know from my own experience that i was actually into hardcore/jungle/breaks n beats and i did have tapes and ther were 1 or 2 radio stations that played it 1 being coast fm which i've mentioned beofre.But i could never find 2 many people that were in to it meself.Any of my m8s who were into dance and clubbing just did'nt like it at all.As i tried countless times to get them to listen to it at parties or on coast fm.But they just could'nt tolerate it.

but then on the other hand, how do ya think i got into it? i was nowhere near old enough to know about rave let alone listen to it, but older cousins of mine used to make weekly trips to the uk, and bring back amazing tape packs. it just depends on who ya knew back then ace, and obviously the peeps you knew were alot more close minded in fairness. i still play mixes at house parties to this day, to peeps that have never even heard it before and they love it!

• Advertisement

but then on the other hand, how do ya think i got into it? i was nowhere near old enough to know about rave let alone listen to it, but older cousins of mine used to make weekly trips to the uk, and bring back amazing tape packs. it just depends on who ya knew back then ace, and obviously the peeps you knew were alot more close minded in fairness. i still play mixes at house parties to this day, to peeps that have never even heard it before and they love it!

just to add to this, everyone loves the prodigy, and thats breakbeat hardcore so whats the dif in the likes of this?

makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭theoldalfer

Hmmm, i was never in it 1990-1992 but, seeing as how peoples perceptions of any given venue that was open for a long period is typically that they prefffered it when they first started going to it i would say yopur mate is talking from his perspective, and that perspective is 100%, to him.

I started going the Olympic in 1992, by the time it was closing it had had a totally new influx of people & change in music, it didnt quite seem as good, even though we had moved on top the asylum mind you, than when we first started going.

Also, the Ormond went from a fairly underground venue to fairly mainstream, certainly wasnt as good near the last 6 months of its life as it was around 1994/1995 but to the people who had juust discovered it in 1996 onwards it was irrelevant what my persepctive of it was in 1995, to them it was fúcking top notch.

Its a matter of perspective but people who see a transistion of a venue, as opposed to those who frequent it near its end, will always feel it lost its appeal over time.

EDIT: Apart from the ASYLUM that is.:D
    with you on this key 100%

and these

i have to laugh my fúckin ass off when people try tell me they hate hardcore, but yet when i ask them do they like like the prodigy's first album, they say yeah thats deadly!

only reason its "deadly" is coz its mainstream PMSL! :D limitations there again ;)

i'd say ya are in the minority then with uk tunage tbh, nearly every hardcore tune back then had a scratch sample of some sort in it (and you call yourself a hardcore raver, '92 ? :D) as for the MC, he is shíte, but then again, so are most. if it weren't for the dub reggae crowd, MC's wouldn't exist, so fúckin shame on that lot! i like hearing a dj mix it up, i like hearing, and really appreciate trick mixing as well as scratching. the thing i absolutely hate above all else, is a dj throwing so many effects over a mix, that ya can't tell where one tune starts, and another ends. nowadays with some, no all dj's, its mega build ups & drops, nothing else, and its really fúcked it up for me i must say, do not enjoy it what so ever! one thing i will give hype tho, he uses his own skills, no stupid amount of effects to get his set across, its his own two hands and nothing else. i really can't get over dj's throwing copious amounts of 'reverb' over a tune that has too much in it to begin with, its totally ridiculous imo, and just don't like it!

Careful Sean, your starting to sound like me lol ....an aul git!! :D ........

Now, as I've said (and said before) I love hardcore,ragga,jungle, dnb .....it would be my prefered music thread hands down! for me first discovered via the CB radio sations bitd in my mates room (real oldskool - CB and big fook off aerial hanging out the window) .... anyways, yeah heard loads of scratch samples in the tunes but they were intermitting samples not prolonged "check me out" wicka wicka wicka wicka wickas by the DJ.

I'm not saying "I dont like the sound of scratching" or "scratching ounds shyte" , just that I can live without it in a DJ's set! Different strokes for different folk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back then, for me anyway, scratching was for hip hop and thats where I prefered to hear it.

;) ........ and the only thing I call meself is "an old fart" :P

True! When I heard the last night of the Ormonde mix that's floating about my first thoughts were they're not the Ormonde sounds that I remember. All the others (UFO, Sides, Grouchos) I went to only occasionally - once a month or so. The Ormonde I went weekly, or twice weekly for a couple of years. Ended up getting barred but soon after my mates who went in said it had gone to hell with Hard House and/or commercial rubbish.
    I stoped going to the ormonde when club fm took over, only went back twice when they where there, TDV and tall paul and the last night. I remember being a bit pissed off with that night as well. half the DJ's that where down to play didn't (MW, Thyme) and the one's that did i didn't like:mad: still don't. and used to hate people thinking the tapes of that night was what the ormonde sounded like:mad:. ah sure...........

Careful Sean, your starting to sound like me lol ....an aul git!! :D ........

Now, as I've said (and said before) I love hardcore,ragga,jungle, dnb .....it would be my prefered music thread hands down! for me first discovered via the CB radio sations bitd in my mates room (real oldskool - CB and big fook off aerial hanging out the window) .... anyways, yeah heard loads of scratch samples in the tunes but they were intermitting samples not prolonged "check me out" wicka wicka wicka wicka wickas by the DJ.

I'm not saying "I dont like the sound of scratching" or "scratching ounds shyte" , just that I can live without it in a DJ's set! Different strokes for different folk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back then, for me anyway, scratching was for hip hop and thats where I prefered to hear it.

;) ........ and the only thing I call meself is "an old fart" :P

jaysus i hope not :D

anyway, yeah i get where your comin from man, and thats fine, every1 to their own and all that. but there are loadsa peeps like myself who love it, and not all hip hop djs stick strickly to hip hop to scratch over either, check the man like qbert scratchin over ed rush & optical - pacman here, kicks in at 6.50 ;)

Same here re Sides. Can't really remember exact year I first went but it was either 93 or 94. I do remember Warren being on that night and instantly he became my favourite DJ back then.
    I started heading there in 94, I never knew what DJ used to be on, didn't even know gravity and sides where the same place the first couple of times i went:D. oh to be young, dumb and full of you know yourself:pac:.

just to add to this, everyone loves the prodigy, and thats breakbeat hardcore so whats the dif in the likes of this?

makes no sense.

With ya 101% there Sean , everybody had "The Experience" back in 92 and they all loved it, ah the prodigy where the new UB40 ffs, once Charly hit TOTP that was it everybody was a prodigy fan!

One of the first proper hardcore/jungle mixes I had on tape was actually Randall/Gachet/Mickey Finn/Kenny Ken @ AWOL in London 92 it was a 4 tape set (ever remember them big book like cassette cases ala 'NOW') that me mate bought me when he was over there with his da.....fookin played it to death along with Carl Cox @ Eclipse, and the recorded (badly) stuff we got off the cb radio stations .......... anyway..... couldn't get any of the others to give it a fair ear no matter how much I tried to convince them it was just like 'The experience' .....i used to use this as an example

to try get them to listen to the AWOL tapes ........ah well that was then,they probably all hang around YT now listenning to the stuff :D ...and if not, they should be :cool:

.........and they should all remember it too ....well the ones that worked with me n my m8 on the night shift .....coz it was the tape that was playing the night we all got sacked ............for having a rave instead of working :o ......in fairness the work was already done....it was a long shift .....one thing led to another.......before we knew it the place was full of heads from our estate ......I'll stop there before I encriminate meself further!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Brand new but oldskool :pac: ... some nice remixes of Altern 8 ->

Mark Archer (Altern 8) - Frequency (Killa Productions '91 Revival Remix)

Mark Archer (Altern 8) - Frequency (AGT Rave Cru Remix)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭francois

I stoped going to the ormonde when club fm took over,

Club FM poisoned everything, it was all money to fat Pat, **** lowest denominator trance and hard house
    loads of night with false advertising, putting DJ's like myself and Warren on the bill without telling us

Advertisement