Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

kit3 wrote: »
    Anyone out for a run yet ? Have itchy feet (and achy thighs it must be said). Mad to go but decided to wait till 2moro as per Rays advice :)

Legs finally feeling back to normal so think will test out a few miles tomorrow or Saturday. Eager to keep the fitness up!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Anyone out for a run yet ? Have itchy feet (and achy thighs it must be said). Mad to go but decided to wait till 2moro as per Rays advice :)

I know. I'm having serious withdrawl issues. I wonder if its this bad coming off drugs?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I know. I'm having serious withdrawl issues. I wonder if its this bad coming off drugs?! :rolleyes:

Didn't think of drugs - it might be the gels ;)

Didn't think of drugs - it might be the gels ;)

Ugggghhhhhh... those gels...I cant even say that word anymore without feeling sick. They are definitely one thing I'm not going to miss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Name|marathon time|Total so far|Marathon Comments
    Vagga||461 miles||
    Nules10|4:56:6|505.49|I had a great experience for my first marathon. Sure was tough though :)|
    Househunter|3:55|702 miles|Tough but a great experience. All went to plan. Atmosphere was fantastic. Will defo do another some time :D|
    Mr Abbey||332 miles||
    PDCAT|4.13|350.5m| Was doing fine until mile 18, then the wheels came off. Think it has something to do with missing couple of weeks training including two LSR's and two Long Midweek runs in September. Only one training run over 16.5 miles. Legs just died at 18 miles. Happy with completing first marathon though. That's the main goal.|
    ShivDCM||428m||
    BobMac104||511.55||
    red face dave|4.43|306.7 miles|Bad day but I will be back:)|
    Younganne|4.27|298.5m|tough marathon but great atmosphere:D
    rom||470 miles||
    maggiemissy|4.38|562 miles|didn't go to planmad.gif but better next time hopefully!|
    mazken|4.03|444 miles|An amazing experience and one i'll never forget!!|
    run44 (Aoife)|4.21.26|502 miles|After I got over the nerves, was smiling all the way around - had a blast! Still amazed at the great support out on the day :D|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi all, just wanted to pop in to say congrats to each and every one of you. I have followed this thread from the start. Well I was part of it in the start but had to pull out early due to injury. Still I've been keeping a close eye on everyones progress and just wanted to say thanks for all the great race reports. They have brought back such great memories for me of when I ran DCM in 2009. I LOVED being part of the mentoring thread that year and still miss the comraderie (sp?). Reading about all your experiences has brought a lump to my throat as this is such a special time for ye all. Revel in your acheivement, you all deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

run44 wrote: »
    Legs finally feeling back to normal so think will test out a few miles tomorrow or Saturday. Eager to keep the fitness up!

Hope to get out tomorrow also just an easy 2 or 3 miles. Very easy pace. Dying to get back at it

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dsenna

RayCun wrote: »
    hardest thing about mentoring is trying to give advice to people who are better runners :rolleyes:...

iliketorun & topday, take the time to recover properly from DCM and then, yeah, with some proper training you should be able to achieve those goals. It might be a good idea to spend some time working on shorter distances first, because that will stand to you when you're trying to run faster in the marathon. Running with other people in a club will bring you on, or pick up a good training plan in a book (for instance) (keep an eye on boards too, there might be something in the next few weeks)[/Quote
    Ray ,if you have it ,would you mind posting the link to the HH marathon recovery plan mentioned early .Many thanks and congrats on your marathon ,super run

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Here's the marathon recovery page, and all the other marathon plans are down the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

[QUOTE=mazken;75280928
    Great idea Anne!! A nice way to round off the thread!! I'm actually going to miss filling out these tables :([/QUOTE]

I was looking through the thread trying to see & hoping the day went well for everyone and then the idea came to me.

Seeing as we will all miss the thread & tables, and are all mad to get running again...i think we are offically real runners now and i think we should continue to post & see how everyone is getting on...How abput we start a new thread, something like Novice DCM class of 2011 - the next target..anyone got a better title...imagination is not my strongest point;)

we could continue but just not be a marathon thread, I know i would love to do a log but wouldn't have the time so weekly table like we have been doing would be great... a group log if you like

any ideas/suggestions

i will be following Hal Higdons post marathon recovery for the next 4 week, as posted by Ray and them might look at his spring training program...www.halhigdon.com

• Advertisement

DCM 2011 Novice Thread - Withdrawals
    i have started it so lets continue our running careers there and next yr we will all be improvers!!!

Younganne wrote: »
    DCM 2011 Novice Thread - Withdrawals
    i have started it so lets continue our running careers there and next yr we will all be improvers!!!

Brilliant good on ya younganne. I need to get back running ASAP i haven't stopped eating since monday :rolleyes: and christmas is approaching fast. Need to sign up for something before christmas. Maybe Aware 5 mile :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Brilliant good on ya younganne. I need to get back running ASAP i haven't stopped eating since monday :rolleyes: and christmas is approaching fast. Need to sign up for something before christmas. Maybe Aware 5 mile :)

Why don't ye sign up for the Waterford half on in December. Its great value only 20 euro. Could be a night out also then take a break over the xmas

Why don't ye sign up for the Waterford half on in December. Its great value only 20 euro. Could be a night out also then take a break over the xmas

That was my second choice :) Just wanted to see how the legs were first. But 20 euro is great value. I had signed up for it last year but had to pull out of it. Hmmmm think i may have to give it a bash :)

I just signed up for that post marathon 8 miler in the Park. Decided why not!

Was about to text you... fancy the waterford half too :D

That was my second choice :) Just wanted to see how the legs were first. But 20 euro is great value. I had signed up for it last year but had to pull out of it. Hmmmm think i may have to give it a bash :)

Probably the best race last year but the weather was so bad worse then the Marathon.

Go for it:)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

but the weather was so bad worse then the Marathon.
    Gale force headwind and horizontal rain for the first 7 miles. Lovely stuff altogether :D

Probably the best race last year but the weather was so bad worse then the Marathon.

Go for it:)

Yeah shocking day. I did the aware 10k in the park the same day. Managed to get under 60 mins that day and haven't managed it since :D Right now where is my credit card :)

Gale force headwind and horizontal rain for the first 7 miles. Lovely stuff altogether :D

It was my first half . But I loved it. Good hardy day

• Advertisement

Ok i am in for waterford.... now how do i get a sub 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Name|marathon time|Total so far|Marathon Comments
    Vagga||461 miles||
    Nules10|4:56:6|505.49|I had a great experience for my first marathon. Sure was tough though :)|
    Househunter|3:55|702 miles|Tough but a great experience. All went to plan. Atmosphere was fantastic. Will defo do another some time :D|
    Mr Abbey||332 miles||
    PDCAT|4.13|350.5m| Was doing fine until mile 18, then the wheels came off. Think it has something to do with missing couple of weeks training including two LSR's and two Long Midweek runs in September. Only one training run over 16.5 miles. Legs just died at 18 miles. Happy with completing first marathon though. That's the main goal.|
    ShivDCM|3:42:08|428m|loved it.|
    BobMac104||511.55||
    red face dave|4.43|306.7 miles|Bad day but I will be back:)|
    Younganne|4.27|298.5m|tough marathon but great atmosphere:D
    rom||470 miles||
    maggiemissy|4.38|562 miles|didn't go to planmad.gif but better next time hopefully!|
    mazken|4.03|444 miles|An amazing experience and one i'll never forget!!|
    run44 (Aoife)|4.21.26|502 miles|After I got over the nerves, was smiling all the way around - had a blast! Still amazed at the great support out on the day :D|

Ok i am in for waterford.... now how do i get a sub 2 :D

See you there so. There will be 2hr pacers on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

was offline for a while.

had my post marathon celebration dinner last night.
    if your into your food : http://www.theledbury.com/Food/Tasting.aspx
    it was worth the pain.

recovery day tomorrow then a two miler on saturday to get back into it.
    all going well i'll have a go at cork in june.

See you there so. There will be 2hr pacers on the day.

Excellent. having 2hr pacers unfortunately doesn't guarantee me a sub 2 :rolleyes: have went out with 2 hr pacers twice before and failed twice. 3rd time lucky so :D see ya there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So for those who are aiming for a race in mid December - Clonakitly, Waterford or Aware (all on the same day), you could then aim for the Raheny 5 miler or Dungarvan 10 miler in late January with the St Patrick's 5k or Mallow 10 miler in March as goal races to aim for to keep your eye in.

Then spring comes and there's loads of events. Also there are plenty good races out there that aren't marathons around the place. If you do some short races after a marathon plan, you will notice the benefit of it still in your legs and do times that knock a chunk of your old standard with little training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

chinguetti wrote: »
    So for those who are aiming for a race in mid December - Clonakitly, Waterford or Aware (all on the same day), you could then aim for the Raheny 5 miler or Dungarvan 10 miler in late January with the St Patrick's 5k or Mallow 10 miler in March as goal races to aim for to keep your eye in.

Then spring comes and there's loads of events. Also there are plenty good races out there that aren't marathons around the place. If you do some short races after a marathon plan, you will notice the benefit of it still in your legs and do times that knock a chunk of your old standard with little training.
    The jingle bells 5k is the week before Waterford/Aware and is a very fast 5k in phoenix park.

chinguetti wrote: »

Thats fantastic...now just to make decisions

I have done 1 4 m race and the rest has all be 10k or bigger...must start doing 5k & 5 m and see how i get on

best times so far are
    4m 33.40 (Sept 10)
    10km 54.05 (May10)
    10m 92.12 (Frank Duffy Aug 2011)
    13.1m 1.57 (Sept 2011)
    26.2 4.27.17 (DCM 2011)

so my aim is to improve on these....i will st targets in a few weeks!!

as far as i Know that is cross country and not a road race, just in case that makes any difference!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Went to the gym this evening, something I rarely do. 2k on the treadmill @10kph, 15 minutes on the bike, 5 minutes on the rowing machine and back for another 1k on the treadmill. Ramped it up to 12kph for the last minute, just to bring back the happy memories:). Everything seems to be working ok save a few blackened toes.

The plan is to get in a reasonable cycle this weekend, say 40 or 50 k, and a jog half way up Croagh patrick on Monday as I'll be taking part in Sea2Summit (short version) on Saturday week. I realise its a short turnaround but I enjoyed this event a lot last year, its in my home town (Westport) and I want to support some friends doing it.
    The week after is the Leenane 5 mile and I'll probably do that too, it was my wife's first race last year so we have to go back. The cakes are legendary.

Re races to aim for over winter I'd recommend the Fields of Athenry 10k on December 26 if you're anywhere near the west. Well organised club event, cheap, fast course and everyone gets a wolly hat. What more could you ask for in a race?

As you might guess I enjoy the training but I love races, so I do lots of them. The only downside of marathon training for me was that it was hard to fit races into the programme. Particularly bike races, another thing I need to work on.

Anybody like to suggest a half marathon in the near future that's not on december 12. My inconsiderate brother has chosen that day for his wedding:).

Advertisement