Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Sounds like a good plan in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Well I'd happily take the 30 or 45 min improvements in a year that the two of ye managed.

sub 3 for the two of ye so next year????

I'm going to spend the next while concentrating on getting my half (1:33)and 10k(41:44) times down before gearing up for Dublin next year, sub 3:15 should be doable but if I get the training right anything's possible. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

God I've been avoiding saying my goodbyes here as I dont want it all to be over. Definitely feeling a little down since the race. I hope thats normal.

As for race day, found the whole experience absolutely amazing. The atmosphere and the support was overwhelming. A massive thanks to all the organisers and the supporters who came out. Finished in 4.09 (garmin time) so was absolutely chuffed.

Thanks so much to Ray and Mr. Slow for all your support and encouragement over the last few months. I know I had some crazy questions along the way. And thanks to everyone else including the Sat gang for all the company along those long miles.

I guess its all over now :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Only until the next onw... :)

Well done on Monday!

Some of you will stick with it and some of you won't, there's always a great camaraderie on the novice thread which doesn't have to end with the marathon.

There'll be group runs announced here, keep an eye out for them or put one up yourself. Last year there was a few road trips (Mallow 10 mile and Cork marathon to name 2) the marathon is not the be all and end all.

Don't be a stranger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

God I've been avoiding saying my goodbyes here as I dont want it all to be over. Definitely feeling a little down since the race. I hope thats normal.

As for race day, found the whole experience absolutely amazing. The atmosphere and the support was overwhelming. A massive thanks to all the organisers and the supporters who came out. Finished in 4.09 (garmin time) so was absolutely chuffed.

Thanks so much to Ray and Mr. Slow for all your support and encouragement over the last few months. I know I had some crazy questions along the way. And thanks to everyone else including the Sat gang for all the company along those long miles.

Just Brilliant running Ro. All your hard work and taper madness paid off in the end ;) A well deserved time. Again Brilliant :D

Nules10 wrote: »
    All your hard work and taper madness paid off in the end ;)

I'm thinking of mentoring a thread on taper madness next year. I mean if anyone can do taper madness (psycho-ness)...its me :D

I'm thinking of mentoring a thread on taper madness next year. I mean if anyone can do taper madness (psycho-ness)...its me :D

That reminds me the time has come to nominate next year's mentor, candidates are only eligible if they've been mentored this year.

There's only one Ray so try and pick a mere mortal with a supportive and informed outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 iliketorun

hi just looking for advice on improving marathon times. I did 3:21 on monday and would like to do sub 3 hours by end of 2012. I wasn't able to train for the 12 weeks I intended to for the marathon because of the hamstring which I complained about here. Got about 250 miles of training in. In the 6.5 weeks before the marathon I got 3 runs in(not including the short recovery jogs my PT gave me). They were a 21 mile run 2 weeks before marathon which hurt quads and calfs for few days, 8 miles 4 days later, and 10 miles 6 days before marathon. Crazy training methods I know.
    I have more respect for the marathon now and would like to do myself justice next time. What do people think I should start doing in order to build up to a proper training programme. Would be interested to know how many miles I should be doing per week(after my ankles,calves and quads are revived from the marathon). I must join a club or something because it was so much more fun running beside people and talking to people during the marathon instead of being on my lonesome.
    Would a 21 minute improvement be realistic without injury again. I also want to get better at shorter distances and try a few races like 1/2 marathon, 10 miles/10k/5k/3k and mile before tackling another marathon.
    I know it was a mad risk doing the marathon but stubbornness is my biggest weakness. Was very lucky and promise I won't be that crazy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

I would like to nominate Nules.

Nules was here from the start. Then the injury and then coming back and doing the taper. The perfect candidate in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Nules was here from the start. Then the injury and then coming back and doing the taper. The perfect candidate in my opinion

Second this. Think thats a great call :)

:eek::eek: I am hugely flattered Dave... but i know nothing about running... or training plans.... me i am a follower not a leader. I would be willing to help out the person who gets the roll. I think maybe someone who could perhaps advise some of the speedier runners who might sigh up is better as i really don't know anything about PMP miles and the like. I would like to nominate anyone but me :D maybe ShivDCM..... did a great marathon and turned out to be a man in the end i thought you were a Burd all along :) Again thanks Dave

:eek::eek: I am hugely flattered Dave... but i know nothing about running... or training plans.... me i am a follower not a leader. I would be willing to help out the person who gets the roll. I think maybe someone who could perhaps advise some of the speedier runners who might sigh up is better as i really don't know anything about PMP miles and the like. I would like to nominate anyone but me :D maybe ShivDCM..... did a great marathon and turned out to be a man in the end i thought you were a Burd all along :) Again thanks Dave

ShivDCM is a good idea!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    ShivDCM is a good idea!

I second that :D;)

run44 wrote: »
    Second this. Think thats a great call :)

I couldnt think of anyone better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭topday

Clearlier wrote: »
    Hey topday,

Those runs are all over the place. Can you give us a few more training details? How many miles and days per week? Any structure to your training or just done by the 'whatever I felt like' method? How many runs over 25k in length - what were they and how did they feel? What's your sporting background? How did you feel after the half? Are you running better now than you were then? I'm guessing you're fairly light? How motivated are you to do the marathon? What do you want to achieve out of it? What is the meaning of life?

Hey Clearlier,

Thank you for the reply. Finally the marathon is done and I crossed the line in 3.29.29.
    I really want to beat this time in my next marathon and really put in the proper training.... My training for dublin was all over the place and had no structure and i'd only run 3 runs longer than 25km. I start using a app on my phone to track my running and I clocked 293.62km in total during my training.

I was so motivated to do the marathon as it has always been something I wanted to do... My background in sports is Gaelic until I was 19 (30 now) and when I was a kid running for a local club but I do train in the gym to keep fit.....

My new target is to run a marathon in and around 3hr to 3.15hrs. I know this is a big ask but I can do it I am sure as long as I have the proper training... Am I been unrealistic with this time??

Is it possible?
    Am I been a little unrealistic?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

cheers, Dom

I went from 4:15 to 3:29 in 12 months so if you put in constructive, consistent work anything's possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Lots of good suggestions for next year's mentor, but maybe you should wait until next spring before deciding? See who is still active on boards, who has gone on to race more, who feels ready to do it...

(but really, it's not that difficult. Just rip off the previous mentored threads, repeat the same few pieces of advice over and over again, and have too much time on your hands :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'm going to spend the next while concentrating on getting my half (1:33)and 10k(41:44) times down before gearing up for Dublin next year, sub 3:15 should be doable but if I get the training right anything's possible. ;)

Fair play! both of yer improvments really are a source of inspiration to keep going and take big chunks out of the PB (ha i have a marathon PB thats cool!)

I must admit its something i didnt expect this "post marathon blues" as meno called it. If we keep bumping this thread maybe!
    maybe ShivDCM..... did a great marathon and turned out to be a man in the end i thought you were a Burd all along :)

I'll go along with this!

Sorry shivDCM, I thought you were an o'l doll also! Wish i could have got to the pub afterwards to put faces to all the names!

hardest thing about mentoring is trying to give advice to people who are better runners :rolleyes:...

iliketorun & topday, take the time to recover properly from DCM and then, yeah, with some proper training you should be able to achieve those goals. It might be a good idea to spend some time working on shorter distances first, because that will stand to you when you're trying to run faster in the marathon. Running with other people in a club will bring you on, or pick up a good training plan in a book (for instance) (keep an eye on boards too, there might be something in the next few weeks)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RayCun wrote: »
    hardest thing about mentoring is trying to give advice to people who are better runners :rolleyes:...
    At least you didn't finish behind the majority of your mentees like I did last year :pac:

At least you didn't finish behind the majority of your mentees like I did last year :pac:

You should have spent the summer convincing us we were crazy to think about sub 4 - sure we'd be lucky to do sub 5 - but as a very special favour you'd pace us around :) We'd have believed every word :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Right 2 day over us and legs are starting to feel "normal" again. Just have a "lovely" (you know what i mean, very painful but worth it) leg rub down and over all the legs are in good shape. My IT band is pretty knotted so have to take time to work that out and then get going again.

Now i know i met some of you in the pub but i have to admit, most of the name are gone, i was so cold i just forgot. I know Ray & Rainbow Kirby (who for some reason beforehand i assumed was male until i met You...oops sorry), i know Neilc, and it was great to catch up, but lads you will have to help me out and remind me who else was sitting at the table. Ray who was beside you, told me twice who he was but i can't for the life of me remember. i know the head was all over the place.....pretty tired this evening so its all catching up on me....kind of looking forward to gently run on Friday as walked yesterday 7 today but feel that if i get a run in i will be able to get a proper stretch in too

What next?? might see if there is a short run somewhere over December(i have never raced less that 10k) and take it from there, even contemplating joining a running club:eek:

RayCun wrote: »
    Lots of good suggestions for next year's mentor, but maybe you should wait until next spring before deciding? See who is still active on boards, who has gone on to race more, who feels ready to do it...

Only problem with that is that none of them will be on the novice thread next year:rolleyes:. We selected you when you were gone on holidays and you did what you were told when the time came round! :P

there was jcsmum, dijigem, digger, mr slow, claralara, maybe shivdcm at the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Meno, Briandrunner, Jackyback, me, Shazk, JaffaC, SunflowerRo, RQ and many more not at the table but who visited at various times and sat on various chairs.

Is that helping your confusion any bit??:D

Thanks Ray, i'll probably run past some of you in the phoenix park at lunch some day and say to myself, i know that face...if i do just shout at me:D

Even as it is , when i'm meeting runners on the trails i'm always wondering if they are on Boards!!!

chinguetti wrote: »
    Meno, Briandrunner, Jackyback, me, Shazk, JaffaC, SunflowerRo, RQ and many more not at the table but who visited at various times and sat on various chairs.

Is that helping your confusion any bit??:D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Younganne wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Posted twice so that must be a no then:p

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    Posted twice so that must be a no then:p

on no it didn't, whos confused now:D

Advertisement