Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC iPlayer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Have downloaded TOR Browser and Mgeni
    I run and establish Tor as working and connected
    When I run Mgeni it returns with the message "Polipo privacy proxy not running"
    eddiem10 wrote: »
    Same problem here....
    Any ideas folks ?
    yes, there is a simple fix.

TOR is not designed for streaming tv shows, it is designed to help give people in oppressive regimes with no uncensored internet access exactly that which is denied to them and MGENI is taking advantage of that to allow everyone access to everything and it usually ends up being used to stream telly when it shouldn't be.

ask yourself how comfortable you are taking bandwidth away from those people just so you can watch an episode of eastenders you missed or the snooker semi-finals when you have a perfectly valid alternative that works perfectly well without encroaching on those poor oppressed masses.

then download expat shield and use that instead and never think about TOR again, unless of course you decide to move to iran or china or something like that and fancy seeing what pat butcher is getting up to on albert square. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭clearz

Download and extract the following:
    http://www.johncleary.net/TorBrowser.rar

Run 'Start Tor Browser.exe' and when firefox starts browse to www.bbc.co.uk/iPlayer and enjoy

P.S This is only for those of us that are paying for a UK license and are not in the uk at the moment.

clearz wrote: »
    Download and extract the following:
    http://www.johncleary.net/TorBrowser.rar

Run 'Start Tor Browser.exe' and when firefox starts browse to www.bbc.co.uk/iPlayer and enjoy

P.S This is only for those of us that are paying for a UK license and are not in the uk at the moment.
    nice to see my previous post went right over your head there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

vibe666 wrote: »
    I searched the Tor site a couple of times looking to see if they have classified types of usage into 'valid' and 'selfish' as you have, but didn't find anything, other than a comment in a discussion thread suggesting not to use it with Bittorrent. They don't seem to have delineated what kinds of freedom are noble or not.

So rather than turn the whole thread into a series of Mrs. Lovejoy-style "think of the children" speeches, could we please stay on the topic of technical workarounds for this particular case of location-based censorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Has iplayer stopped working with the new version of the flash player they are using. It gets past the channel logo but now the programmes never start?

Only started happening the past few days (tor or expat, its the same)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Solyad wrote: »
    Has iplayer stopped working with the new version of the flash player they are using. It gets past the channel logo but now the programmes never start?

Only started happening the past few days (tor or expat, its the same)

Just tried it there now seems to be working ok, thats with Tor an Mgeni.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Good to know cheers... maybe its either chrome or flash causing the problem (or UPC)

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭clearz

I did see your post but I just chose to ignore it since it adds nothing to the discussion. My package is totally set up to work straight away

• It is set to only use UK tor exits
    • It has the latest version of flash installed

1) Download 2) Extract 3) Run 4) Enjoy

zynaps wrote: »
    So rather than turn the whole thread into a series of Mrs. Lovejoy-style "think of the children" speeches, could we please stay on the topic of technical workarounds for this particular case of location-based censorship?
    i was on topic and i've given a perfectly valid and working alternative to raping the TOR network.
    clearz wrote: »
    I did see your post but I just chose to ignore it since it adds nothing to the discussion. My package is totally set up to work straight away
    • It is set to only use UK tor exits
    • It has the latest version of flash installed

1) Download 2) Extract 3) Run 4) Enjoy
    download > install > run > http://expatshield.com/
    • no need to configure, just turn it on/off via the taskbar icon
    • gives you a UK based IP address
    • allows you to use whatever browser you want
    • no worries about flash being out of date etc.
    • no issues with getting stuck with a slow exit node causing buffering
    • avoids the need to be a TOR whore
    it works perfectly and doesn't strain an already overly burdened network that wasn't designed for it at the expense of people who really do need the bandwidth, unlike using TOR + mgeni.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Just to let u know I tried expatshield and it works but puts spam on your computer:

1st Google searches are automatically routed to www.serach-results.com
    2nd. It opens new browser windows every few minutes for one of their websites wit advertisement.

Trying to remove it now. Its really annoying If you can live with it its a good program, otherwise stay away.

Luckely uninstall worked. I have access to google again. Not worth the hassle for me. If anyone knows a trick to get rid of the 'opening new advertisment' windows and that I can keep google as my search engine I may install it again

• Advertisement

rh5555 wrote: »
    Just to let u know I tried expatshield and it works but puts spam on your computer:

1st Google searches are automatically routed to www.serach-results.com
    2nd. It opens new browser windows every few minutes for one of their websites wit advertisement.

Trying to remove it now. Its really annoying If you can live with it its a good program, otherwise stay away.

Luckely uninstall worked. I have access to google again. Not worth the hassle for me. If anyone knows a trick to get rid of the 'opening new advertisment' windows and that I can keep google as my search engine I may install it again
    balls, sorry about that. :(

its weird, i don't get any of that stuff at all, maybe its something in newer versions? did you happen to notice what version it installed?

it might be the ad-blocking script on my router stopping it from doing anything to me, but i'd still expect to see *something* fishy from time to time.

it was v2.06 until i just started it there, but it's just upgraded itself to v2.09, but still no sign of spyware or browser/search hijacking activity for me so maybe its just new installs? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

its weird, i don't get any of that stuff at all, maybe its something in newer versions? did you happen to notice what version it installed?

it might be the ad-blocking script on my router stopping it from doing anything to me, but i'd still expect to see *something* fishy from time to time.

it was v2.06 until i just started it there, but it's just upgraded itself to v2.09, but still no sign of spyware or browser/search hijacking activity for me so maybe its just new installs? :confused:
    It's that.

It's that.
    yay for ad-blocking then i guess, although it's not great for anyone who doesn't have it.

i wonder if something like adblock+ would have the same effect of neutralising any of the negative effects of any spam/hijacking in expat shield?

yay for ad-blocking then i guess, although it's not great for anyone who doesn't have it.

i wonder if something like adblock+ would have the same effect of neutralising any of the negative effects of any spam/hijacking in expat shield?
    Yep, worked fine for me...few months since I used expatshield though.

Here it is, select for whatever your Browser is. Subscribe to easylist.

DON'T USE IT ON BOARDS.IE. Or whatever your fav sites are as you are cutting their funding.

Well it might hide the most obvious symptoms of your searches being redirected or unwanted popups, but it wouldn't solve the underlying problem that you have potentially hostile code running on your machine. Credit card info and all that.

A while back I wanted to give it a try but saw that the client was closed-source... just felt a bit dodgy.
    That said, Expat Shield seems to have been around for a while; I'd be surprised if it really was bundling spyware after all this time.

Well it might hide the most obvious symptoms of your searches being redirected or unwanted popups, but it wouldn't solve the underlying problem that you have potentially hostile code running on your machine. Credit card info and all that.

A while back I wanted to give it a try but saw that the client was closed-source... just felt a bit dodgy.
    That said, Expat Shield seems to have been around for a while; I'd be surprised if it really was bundling spyware after all this time.
    When I installed it I actually read the eula and it seemed ok to me.

I always read them and they actually usually tell you if their is dodgy stuff coming with the Program!

I was going to install the Divx Media player the other day but it had a load of 3rd party references on it and I was surprised at just how much info they "may" gather so I left it.

that's the thing, i run regular (and multiple) spyware & virus scans on all my systems and have never had any issues with the htpc at all as far as i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I have 2.04, get nothing like that either.

pbarr wrote: »
    I have 2.04, get nothing like that either.
    out of pure paranoia i spent yesterday afternoon doing scans with nod32, avg, spybot, adaware & ms security essentials and none of them found anything except a few tracking cookies so i'm totally stumped. :confused:

then if you google it you get lots of people saying it DOES contain spyware, but you also get this: http://www.watch-bbc-iplayer.com/support.html#0.1_How_do_I_know_that_Hotspot_Shield_does_not_contain_any_virus_or_spyware_
    How do I know that ExpatShield does not contain any virus or spyware?
    ExpatShield is published by Anchorfree Inc. which is recognized by Verisign and other certificate authorities as a trusted software vendor. In addition, ExpatShield is reviewed by various reputed companies such as Wall Street Journal, CNN, San Francisco Chronicle, NY Times, LA Times, and Mercury News. PC Magazine has named ExpatShield as one of the top free downloads.

out of pure paranoia i spent yesterday afternoon doing scans with nod32, avg, spybot, adaware & ms security essentials and none of them found anything except a few tracking cookies so i'm totally stumped. :confused:

then if you google it you get lots of people saying it DOES contain spyware
    Good to know! It could simply be that many of the people who use it are already infected with spyware, perhaps due to careless habits.
    I might try it at the weekend and see what happens. You could upload the main Expat Shield program files to a multi-engine virus checker like this one for a more thorough check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Yeah, strange that this only seemed to happen to me. As i said the program works well and as soon as I de-installed it the routing to the search site stopped on Chrome, Firefox, IE.

Also the new browser tabs that popped up every few minutes had advertisement in there from AnchorFree so it could only really come from them. Maybe I have some strange configuration that causes the problem.

Glad other people don't have the issue as it seems like a good program.

No big deal for me as I rarely ever have the need to watch the IPlayer although I know its really great. Just wanted to test out the Software.

Thanks for the replies btw.

rh5555 wrote: »
    Yeah, strange that this only seemed to happen to me. As i said the program works well and as soon as I de-installed it the routing to the search site stopped on Chrome, Firefox, IE.
    could it be that the re-direction only happened when you actually had the expat shield running and connected?

i can sort of understand them doing browser redirects when you're actually using it, since everything you do will be re-directed through their servers anyway and they have to make a living after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If it's not too much trouble folks I could do with a little help. I had Tor/mgeni set-up in the past and it worked fine. I tried it now and am having no luck.

Tor told me my installation was out of date so I updated to the latest version and now mgeni isn't picking it up.

I have Googled it but haven't had any luck so far in resolving the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Try the Hola Unblocker plugin for Chrome or Firefox, by far the easiest way to watch iPlayer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thlint

If it's not too much trouble folks I could do with a little help. I had Tor/mgeni set-up in the past and it worked fine. I tried it now and am having no luck.

Tor told me my installation was out of date so I updated to the latest version and now mgeni isn't picking it up.

I have Googled it but haven't had any luck so far in resolving the issue.

You can try Firefox and plugin anonymox to get BBC .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kevinsheehan

Forget mgeni - could not get it to work
    I am using expat shield but it can be troublesome and slow
    will switch to Hola when teething problems sorted out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,541 ✭✭✭✭briany

Try the Hola Unblocker plugin for Chrome or Firefox, by far the easiest way to watch iPlayer. :)

Hola doesn't seem to work directly out of the box for me. It might need it's configuration to be jiggled.
    thlint wrote: »
    You can try Firefox and plugin anonymox to get BBC .

This, on the other hand, does, and gives a country select option. Nice. As a free service it's usage is limited and there's ads but that's OK for occasional use.
    Forget mgeni - could not get it to work
    I am using expat shield but it can be troublesome and slow
    will switch to Hola when teething problems sorted out

Yeah but it's a pity about Mgeni. It doesn't seem to gel with Tor anymore and hasn't had a new release to fix the issues. A pity. It was a good tool.

i've stopped using them entirely and now use a combination of a paid for (for €29.99 a year unlimited usage) VPN service (which works flawlessly all the time) and an open source application to pull down streams directly to watch offline at my leisure. :)

unfortunately i'm not sure if boards.ie would allow me to go into any more detail here as i'm not 100% entirely sure how legal it it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i've stopped using them entirely and now use a combination of a paid for (for €29.99 a year unlimited usage) VPN service (which works flawlessly all the time) and an open source application to pull down streams directly to watch offline at my leisure. :)

unfortunately i'm not sure if boards.ie would allow me to go into any more detail here as i'm not 100% entirely sure how legal it it. :o

a pm is allowded though.:D

• Advertisement

I'll take a pm too please!

Advertisement