Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy council plan for clontarf.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

the clontarf road stretching down to the bull wall is breathtaking what idiot would want to spoil this beautiful view i know the great wall of china is one of the wonders of the world but im sure the great wall of dublin wont be more like a fortress dont let this happen keep clontarf the way it is scenic and beautiful

That idiot as you call it is the sea. The objectors to any wall that may arise(no pun intended) need to get a reality check that the seas are rising and its only a matter of time before the area is seriously flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

gurramok wrote: »
    That idiot as you call it is the sea. The objectors to any wall that may arise(no pun intended) need to get a reality check that the seas are rising and its only a matter of time before the area is seriously flooded.

Sea levels aren't going to change by a noticeable amount for years, they are rising but at such a slow pace it will be 20 years before the effects are showing. This wall doesn't need to be constructed immediately, there's plenty of time to plan this out properly.

RMD wrote: »
    Sea levels aren't going to change by a noticeable amount for years, they are rising but at such a slow pace it will be 20 years before the effects are showing. This wall doesn't need to be constructed immediately, there's plenty of time to plan this out properly.

High tides and heavy rainfall will put a dent in that plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

How are things out there tonight ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Expect the Whineline to be flooded (joe loves puns) with callers from Clontarf demanding that a 20ft RC wall be built ....... 'Loike yaster dei'

Jayzus, I never expected my comment on post #125 to actually happen tonight. Unreal all over, not just in Clontarf.

different type of flooding tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

gurramok wrote: »
    Jayzus, I never expected my comment on post #125 to actually happen tonight. Unreal all over, not just in Clontarf.
    The proposed flood defences would not have made a difference to tonight's flooding on the Clontarf Road!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

realies wrote: »
    How are things out there tonight ?
    Not the best! I had to walk home and the traffic is moving but very slowly. Water is up to maybe up to the top of the wheels in places and there's a Garda van blocking off one side of the road near the Yacht.
    Thankfully, I'm a bit uphill so the house is grand - just hope I don't have to go near the coast tomorrow until the waters subside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I drove by hours ago, the water was flowing down the roads, across the coast road and then in to the sea. I'm guessing the new flood defense will need sluice gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

drkpower wrote: »
    The proposed flood defences would not have made a difference to tonight's flooding on the Clontarf Road!!

I'd say they've had exacerbated it, if anything. Rain water with nowhere to go due to clogged drains and a high tide that peaked around 10:30 pm that limits what the pumping stations can do.
    Any water coming from Holybrook road or the Stiles road would have had an even harder time getting out to sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I honestly fail to see why people are against Clontarf residents on this.

If I owned a house with a sea view, I sure as hell wouldn't want a big feckin wall blocking that view.

Lot of anger on here, sad really.

It's a great amenity for the people of Dublin, it's not as if there are a lot of areas like it so close to the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Why can't they put the pipe along the side of the wall and then do the glass defence on top ?

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I honestly fail to see why people are against Clontarf residents on this

It's keyboard prattle Hank. You didn't see any of them out there protesting against the protesters, getting a rise from an armchair is so much easier.

Just because we are going through a bad patch, we shouldn't regress and let our amenities go to wrack and ruin. You can't put a price on coastal drives, cycles walks etc.

DCC should do it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's keyboard prattle Hank. You didn't see any of them out there protesting against the protesters, getting a rise from an armchair is so much easier.

Just because we are going through a bad patch, we shouldn't regress and let our amenities go to wrack and ruin. You can't put a price on coastal drives, cycles walks etc.

DCC should do it properly.

But yet we are going to sell off most of the state assets?

The view isn't even that good till you go past the Dublin bus garage.

I do agree, DCC are a shower of incompetents and it's quite clear a few biddys in an office getting about half a million drew this up.

Scrap the hole hill by the coast line idea. Use the glass flood barrier as for the pipe, dig up the walk way along the coast and put the pipe under there or put it behind the sea front wall, make the pipe plastic so it won't corrode from the salt water. The footpath could do with resurfacing anyway. Decommission the cycleway while the works are happening and use it as a walk way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

msg11 wrote: »
    . Decommission the cycleway while the works are happening and use it as a walk way.

There is the promenade and two footpaths along there

Three options for pedestrians and one cyclepath
    And people can jog and run on the grass

And you want to turn the cycle lane into a walkway? :confused:
    If the promenade gets closed people can walk on either footpath, get out of the cycle-lane

This is going to be another Phoenix Park where the cycle lane has been taken over by walkers yet a footpath right beside it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is this actually what people are giving out about? I though it was going to be an actual wall, not a gently sloping landscaped grassy bank. The only part of that plan I don't get is why there isn't a path / cycle track on top of it.

To all the residents, you'll still get views from upstairs, and that plan in no way takes away from the amenity of the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Why can't they put the pipe along the side of the wall and then do the glass defence on top ?

Who's gonna pay for it? The residents?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Use the glass flood barrier
    cos that's going to look great after 6 months, you'd need it to be constantly cleaned, starting again as soon as you're finished nearly to keep all the gunge off it.
    Decommission the cycleway while the works are happening and use it as a walk way.

much as I hate cycle paths and that one particular as a stupidly designed one, the road surface along the coast is shockingly poor so even with all he junctions and overgrowth the cycle lane is the preferred method of travel. no need to decommission it, there are footpaths along the roads there anyway

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    Who's gonna pay for it? The residents?

Bloody hell Degsy, why are you so negative about this?

I would think that something that is good for the people of Dublin should be preserved.

I suppose you would be happy for them to just fill in the 52 acres of land with docks?

Amenities for some, minature OPW/DCC flags for all....

I would think that something that is good for the people of Dublin should be preserved.

I suppose you would be happy for them to just fill in the 52 acres of land with docks?

I'm asking a question.

DCC have tabled a plan to relieve flooding in an area,correct?

The residents arent happy with the plan for reasons i cannot fathom so they want outrageous alternative suggestions such as dykes the length of Dublin bay so thier view isnt affected,correct?

I am merely asking who exactly is supposed to table the extra expense of the"alternative" plans?

DCC is a state body and the State is almost broke the people who are currently whinging shoul count themselves lucky that any work is going ahead at all..but then they'd be the first to complain when thier houses are flooded.

I don't mean to be smart, but would it not seem that Clontarf is a rather affluent area, which would mean the people there most likely pay more taxes than certain areas.

If it was me, I would wouldn't want my taxes to be squandered building an eyesore that would ruin the area.

I' guessing that you don't avail of this amenity, either that or your primary concern is that the state squanders as little money as possible....

I know little about engineering, but I doubt that DCC have had many people look at resolutions to this.

There must be a better way to resolve the situation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I don't mean to be smart, but would it not seem that Clontarf is a rather affluent area, which would mean the people there most likely pay more taxes than certain areas.

Why not build a wall around Clontarf so the scum and less tax payers cant get in and ruin your view :rolleyes:

its a grassy mound, not a mountjoy "type " wall

cfd1.jpg

Edit... I'm only feeding the troll.

like to see more about areas drainage any studies done of that

Yeah right...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Hank, save your breath, there's no winning with this guy, whatever argument anyone makes he'll come up with another pointless argument, he seems to have an issue with the area of Clontarf as a whole hence his numerous petty and comical posts on this thread.

bamboozle wrote: »
    Hank, save your breath, there's no winning with this guy, whatever argument anyone makes he'll come up with another pointless argument, he seems to have an issue with the area of Clontarf as a whole hence his numerous petty and comical posts on this thread.

No my problem is with the nonsensical reasons people have given for not wanting the works to go ahead.

They seem to be

* The houses in the area will devalue..completely untrue and if it is i certainly wont be crying any salt tears..however any house with a seaview is either located on the dollymount side which is not being affected OR only have sea views from the upper floor..an extra 9 foot rise wont spoil anything.

*That people wont have anywhere to walk or jog or mince along....so the footpath clearly visible in the drawings wont be suitable?

* That business will suffer somehow..more nonsense..people go to restaurants if the restaurants are good value and the food is nice..what place has seaviw anyway? The indian at the end of the wooden bridge which wont be affected and that hidous Bay place near the Dollymount house..again they wont be "affected" in any way.

What strikes me most is a pervading air of regional elitism that permeates some of the posts..an area of promenade with a view of the docks does not make the area Vico road and certainly not deserving of multi-billion euro schemes to ring dublin bay with dykes.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    What strikes me most is a pervading air of regional elitism that permeates some of the posts..an area of promenade with a view of the docks does not make the area Vico road and certainly not deserving of multi-billion euro schemes to ring dublin bay with dykes.

People care about their area, what's elitist about that? Sure you're saying nasty things about people from Clontarf, the restaurants, you seem to relish the thought of certain peoples house prices dropping, even the way they walk bothers you... It's fairly obvious from your history you have a personal hatred of Clontarf and it's residents. Your posts on the subject are viscous, personal and irrelevant.

Advertisement