Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There has only been one UK release of Das Boot on Blu-Ray and that's the one which was released in September as part of the Sony classics range.

The region free import version has been available as well.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The region free import version has been available as well.

Irish stores can't stock imports as they lack Irish certifications and a number of stores have over the years got into trouble for sellijng imported DVDs and Blu-Rays. Not a chance HMV would be offering it for sale though that said it's always a good idea to have look through their stock for titles which are banned over here, picked up the UK release of Salo and the original I Spit on Your Grave in my local one a few months back.

adox wrote: »
    Picked it up tonight in their 2 for 18 euro offer along with Zodiac(another that I havent seen).

Das Boot and Zodiac on blu ray for €18 is a good price. Both look smashing in that format, and two very good films.

Irish stores can't stock imports as they lack Irish certifications and a number of stores have over the years got into trouble for sellijng imported DVDs and Blu-Rays. Not a chance HMV would be offering it for sale though that said it's always a good idea to have look through their stock for titles which are banned over here, picked up the UK release of Salo and the original I Spit on Your Grave in my local one a few months back.

I never said HMV were defo stocking it, I just raised the point in case they did have it in stock and were selling it in the offer instead of the more recent release of the same film. Nothing worse than buying a film on blu ray and dicovering you have gotten a version with a meh transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Das Boot and Zodiac on blu ray for €18 is a good price. Both look smashing in that format, and two very good films.

Yeah was delighted with the price. I rarely by blu rays or dvds anymore but do make exceptions.:)

• Advertisement

I never said HMV were defo stocking it, I just raised the point in case they did have it in stock and were selling it in the offer instead of the more recent release of the same film. Nothing worse than buying a film on blu ray and dicovering you have gotten a version with a meh transfer.

No need to worry anyone whose looking to pick up Das Boot as theres not a chance they would have the US version in stock, their suppliers would never be able to stock it or sell it on. Only films with an Irish certificate marked on the packaging and disc may legally be sold in Ireland. A lot of stock will come in without the Irish cert printed on the case and as such it the shop must put an Irish cert on, used to drive me made having to put the stickers on a couple hundred DVDs every week or so.

No need to worry anyone whose looking to pick up Das Boot as theres not a chance they would have the US version in stock, their suppliers would never be able to stock it or sell it on. Only films with an Irish certificate marked on the packaging and disc may legally be sold in Ireland. A lot of stock will come in without the Irish cert printed on the case and as such it the shop must put an Irish cert on, used to drive me made having to put the stickers on a couple hundred DVDs every week or so.

I picked up the US version of the Crow on blu ray in a store in Ireland some time back so it does happen through huiman error or otherwise.

Does not matter a jot though as the poster got the Sony version so that is the version HMV are stocking and selling at what is a very good price.

adox wrote: »
    Yeah was delighted with the price. I rarely by blu rays or dvds anymore but do make exceptions.:)

I tend to buy a fair few blu rays, but mainly online but will nip down to HMV to see what else is in their 2 for €18 offer.

I have the films mentioned in the last day or so; Candyman, Das Boot and Zodiac, but they may have a few other gems on their shelves for that price.

And to try and keep my post in line with the thread topic, I watched another golden oldie on Blu ray last night.

The original Cape Fear.

It looks stunning on blu ray and sounds excellent as well. For my money the film is still far superior to the remake (the remake being a very good film), and given that I had watched Gegory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird a few days ago, his role of Bowden carried some Atticus overtones for me.

Robert Mitchum is brilliant as Max Cady, easily as menanacing as his role of the preacher in Night Of The Preacher.

Was my first time watching the film on blu ray, and would advise any fan of the film or anyone who has not seen it before to grab the blu ray first chance they get.

I have the remake on bluray as well, so will give that a whirl over the next week or so.

I tend to buy a fair few blu rays, but mainly online but will nip down to HMV to see what else is in their 2 for €18 offer.

I have the films mentioned in the last day or so; Candyman, Das Boot and Zodiac, but they may have a few other gems on their shelves for that price.

I`m going to try and watch one if not both over the long weekend.

They have quite a decent selection in the offer in HMV. I did have The Evil Dead in my hands, the weekend thats in it, before changing it for Zodiac.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Max Keller

Recently I've watched Total Recall, Predator, Taken, Seven, The Shawshank Redemption, Point Break, Dead Snow and Outpost. Max.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

Blitz: The genre I'm starting to call "Music video movie". As long as the artist is high profile then the tune doesn't really matter. None of the characters were really likeable and I dont think the "bad guy" was very convincing. I think since lock stock, if you've seen one Statham movie you've seen them all. Although I do like him as an actor. 3/10

Brooklyns Finest: "The Wire" movie just nowhere near as good. 4/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

sleeping beauty
    one strange movie, was ok, the stortline was keeping me from switching off but i wouldnt recommend it to anyone

margin call, good actors good storyline worth a watch but not great

not another, not another movie, lasted 35 minutes and all i can say is avoid it like the plague

chaos, brilliant film with a great twist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

The Trip with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon - I didn't love this film but did enjoy it, it has some very good witty humor but also has a kind of melancholy throughout the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Trying to find out the name of a film a work mate was telling me about...
    of course he couldnt remember the name of it or who starred in it!
    He was saying it was about a married man who longed to be single and his single friend who longed to be married,they somehow swapped minds(or something,details were sketchy:rolleyes:))
    any ideas?is it worth getting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He was saying it was about a married man who longed to be single and his single friend who longed to be married,they somehow swapped minds(or something,details were sketchy:rolleyes:))
    The Change-Up

Haven't seen it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Change Up with Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman, movie has zero appeal to me although I do like Bateman and Reynolds can be ok too so it might not be as bad as one might think....

^
    oh snap

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Change Up with Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman, movie has zero appeal to me although I do like Bateman and Reynolds can be ok too so it might not be as bad as one might think....

^
    oh snap

I know what you mean,it sounds like one of those films that you can leave your brain outside for 2 hours:D
    Just what i need after a tough week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Just watched 12 Rounds. One of the most offensively bad movies I've seen in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Fly (1958) and The Return of the Fly (1959) both starring Vincent Price. I was interested to see The Fly in colour and Return of the Fly in b/w which really added to the film. I enjoyed both.

HELP ME! HELP ME! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Poltergeist. I really dislike scary movies but this is the only one I can watch and not get too freaked out when I try to sleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Thor & Captain America. Both as bad as each other, pretty dull stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Ides of March - great film.

if you are a West Wing fan like me, you'll def like it

Watched Pontypool last night. Entertaining enough virus outbreak in small town effort. Surprisingly claustrophobic, most of it takes place in a radion station and plays a little like a play for large parts.

Meanders a bit in parts and feels the full 90+ minutes, but as I said, worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Just finished Behind Enemy Lines starring Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman.

I've seen it numerous times and it's ten years old but it has stood up well. In fact, it gets a little bit better with age despite the fact it's an action movie.

The cinematography and picture are superb. Each scene looks really well visceral. Especially notable are the mine scene and the attack on Hác. The setting is also excellent - Bosnia is well crafted with towns, countrysides and forests reflected to display the desolation that the Civil War brought. It's remarkable, each, the setting and picture bounce off each other to produce great scenes.

The acting is solid, nothing tremendous but characterisation is good. What was very good was Burnett's (Wilson) disillusionment with the war. It was confusing, complex and seemed to have no end. The fliers (and everyone else) didn't know what was happening. It's a valid point and true to life. The US and NATO forces are sent into a quagmire that wasn't totally clear with little feasible future. The director does well in this regard.

You can approach this movie two ways, one, to sit back and enjoy a post-90s action film (but still somewhat faithful to the genre) while leaving your brain at the door, or two, watch it, look for the small details that combine to create quite a good film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Snowtown

Based on the real life events of an Australian serial killer, it's not for the faint hearted

The film in itself is flawless, perfect soundtrack, quality acting, beautiful cinematography and brilliant pacing

The only negative I took out of it was that I felt pretty **** after watching it. But It is a film about a serial killer after all

It's probably the only film I've ever seen that comes close to giving an insight into how the mind of a serial killer operates and how they justify their actions to suit their situation

Australian cinema is fast becoming my favourite country for serving up top quality film.

10/10

Warning
    Really not for the faint hearted, very disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Attack The Block. Very impressive thoroughly enjoyed this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Continuing in my theme of classic anti-war movies I watched Cross of Iron last night. €1 VHS from a local charity shop. Starring James Coburn, Maximilian Schell and James Mason it tells the story of a Prussian Aristocrat's desperate attempt to win the Iron Cross on the Eastern Front. Directed by Sam Peckinpah with a great plot, great action sequences and desperately depressing - but I would still recommend. 10/10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

saw paranormal activity 3 last night in santry.
    It was Shíte.
    Scary but shíte.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    saw paranormal activity 3 last night in santry.
    It was Shíte.
    Scary but shíte.

Not trying to be pedantic now but if a horror film scared you how can you say it wasn't any good? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

For the Hallowe'en that's in it, I'd like to recommend Rosemary's Baby, which I only saw recently.

Beyond that, Harold & Maude is an under-appreciated dark comedy gem.

Love/Exposure, Japanese film, is bat-sh*t crazy amazing but, warning, over four hours long.

Hope I've done it right :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement