Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MusicLover8498

Easy A It's quite good :)
    Watched A nightmare on elm street Last weekend it was good the original not the 2010 remake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Easy A It's quite good :)

I really enjoyed that, more smart teen comedies please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The Damned United, last night.

Quite good. Definitely watchable but not outstanding.

I do really like Martin Sheen though. Great actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Animal Kingdom- Crime drama set in Melbourne. One of the best film's i've seen in a while, tense and genuinely shocking in parts with some great performances thrown in.

The scene where "I'm all out of love" is playing on the TV in the background really sticks out, the shift in tone and music made it really unsettling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Animal Kingdom- Crime drama set in Melbourne. One of the best film's i've seen in a while, tense and genuinely shocking in parts with some great performances thrown in.

The scene where "I'm all out of love" is playing on the TV in the background really sticks out, the shift in tone and music made it really unsettling.

Brilliant scene. Brilliant film. One of the best films in the last couple of years for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I get lots of suggestions from here :)

Ten things I hate about you

Meh, just flew by, didn't think much of it

She's all that or Easy A would be sort of similar and now they were funny,

This one, not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Drive - Saw this last night. Was hooked from the start, they way it was shot and the soundtrack. Kinda hoped it wouldn't end at the end, and would last another hour. Excellent

The Guard - Heard mixed reviews and thought I would really enjoy it but was disappointed. Constantly reminded me of "Round Ireland with a Fridge" for some reason.

X-men First Class - Enjoyed this far more than the other ones. Great casting and decent storyline too.

Bad Teacher - Good film and quite funny too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

+1

Best film of 2010 IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Wathed 2 films last night:

Green Zone - Bourne Identity meets Blackhawk Down. Enjoyable enough film loosely based around WMD conspiracy theories for invading Iraq in 2003. Decent cast too, though no really great performances to talk of. Matt Damon stars, so make of that what you will (I actually quite like his action stuff).

Shutter Island - Psychological thriller set in a 50's insane asylum / correctional facility. Really enjoyable and disturbing to a point, then it all goes to pot in the last half hour and you're left wanting at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Zombieland: Having heard some good things about it, I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Slightly more humourous take on the zombie genre. Great cameo too. ;)

Horrible Bosses: Noticed this on my hard drive and took a chance on it. Really enjoyed it actually. Mainly for Jennifer Aniston's character though. Yeow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That_Guy wrote: »
    Zombieland: Having heard some good things about it, I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Slightly more humourous take on the zombie genre. Great cameo too. ;)

Horrible Bosses: Noticed this on my hard drive and took a chance on it. Really enjoyed it actually. Mainly for Jennifer Aniston's character though. Yeow!!
    Yeah saw Horrible Bosses myself a few nights ago and was very surprised with it considering I'd heard from a few people it was shíte

Anniston looks very well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Wathed 2 films last night:

Green Zone - Bourne Identity meets Blackhawk Down. Enjoyable enough film loosely based around WMD conspiracy theories for invading Iraq in 2003. Decent cast too, though no really great performances to talk of. Matt Damon stars, so make of that what you will (I actually quite like his action stuff).

Shutter Island - Psychological thriller set in a 50's insane asylum / correctional facility. Really enjoyable and disturbing to a point, then it all goes to pot in the last half hour and you're left wanting at the end.

i think with shutter island the ending is open ended , its up to the viewer whether di caprios charechter was mad or not , personally i believe he wasnt mad and thier are many clues to back up this theory throughout the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i think with shutter island the ending is open ended , its up to the viewer whether di caprios charechter was mad or not , personally i believe he wasnt mad and thier are many clues to back up this theory throughout the movie
    I was of the opinion that in the end of Shutter Island
    Di Caprio knew what had happened, he said something along the lines of 'Better to die not knowing than to die a monster' which for me showed that he was willingly going ahead with the labotomy

Good movie though, I really liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

PaulieC wrote: »
    I was of the opinion that in the end of Shutter Island
    Di Caprio knew what had happened, he said something along the lines of 'Better to die not knowing than to die a monster' which for me showed that he was willingly going ahead with the labotomy

Good movie though, I really liked it!

I was of the same opinion.
    What he said was 'is it better to live as a monster, or die as a good man?' which to me also meant he was willing to go ahead with the surgery, so as not to 'live as a monster'. I found the end fairly disappointing, I really was hoping for the second twist where he does uncover some wrongdoings, but that was not to be :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I watched Nowhere Boy last night with herself. It was a bit disjointed and i honestly thought at one stage John Lennon was going to ride his mother.

I couldnt get the scene from Dewey Cox out of my head either where Dewey met the Beatles. It was a decent enough film though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I thought it was pretty conclusive tbh.
    That he wasn't mad
    . Little bit of the Lost Highway going through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I couldn't get past the shaky cam in this film. Whatever about the tinfoil hat plot but the shaky cam was the real failure here. I don't mind some shaky scenes but when you're trying to read some text thats been zoomed into and the camera is all over the place, that I find very irritating. The action wasn't too bad and I think I might actually give the film an ok rating sans shaky cam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty conclusive tbh.
    That he wasn't mad
    . Little bit of the Lost Highway going through it.

Il admit I'm not. The brightest but if he wasn't mad, why would he buy into the notion that he's a monster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Die Hard With a Vengence. Cracking effort from McTiernan. Can't really say much wrong, it's excellent enjoyment.

Traitor. Flew under the radar for many I feel but it's a solid film that explores relevant contemporary themes. Guy Pierce and Don Cheadle are good in this. Worth checking out.

Repo Man

Interesting concept and the start was going very well but the ending messed it up
    What were the writers thinking for that ending :confused:

It's worth a watch but it could have been so much more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Die Hard With a Vengence. Cracking effort from McTiernan. Can't really say much wrong, it's excellent enjoyment.

What an excellent film dude :)
    Nothing bad can be said about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

LighterGuy wrote: »
    What an excellent film dude :)
    Nothing bad can be said about it.

It really is excellent. Great pace and tension. Each scene has progress, deliciously brilliant villains, great action - especially love the elevator scene.

"Hook, line, and sinker!"

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Shank: Watched it last night and it wasn't half bad, and actually isn't far off of what the future probably does hold..

Blow: For the first time, really liked it, great story, could definately watch it over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

The Shawshank Redemption - recently watched this and loved it, class film :D

Bully

Yikes, everyone in that film is unlikeable.

It's a bit different, some good acting, worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Paul - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I'm not a big Simon Pegg fan and Seth Rogen voicing the alien was too much at first. But i loved the little film references and found myself laughing out loud a couple of times which is rare for me. For me it's not just a better homage to Spielberg movies from the 70s & 80s like Super 8 but a better film overall, 7/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2

I was always a huge fan of the books but never thought any of the films came close to doing them justice until the last two, of which the climax is better

The first hour is a bit slow but the last hour is spectacular with brilliant imagery and an ending worthy of the book

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw this years ago on the recommendation of someone and I thought it was ok, but not the great film it had been made out to be.
    Watched it again last night and I get it now, what a little gem of a movie. The kind of film that just leaves you with a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Keelan11

Watched Drive the last day, its easily one of the best films I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Red State
    Rubbish. If it didn't have a 'name' director there would be nothing to elevate this above a straight-to-video Van Damme movie. Even Goodman was crap in it, there was scenes where he was supposed to be shouty and angry and it looked like he was unwell and couldn't manage it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement