Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Severe Arctic winter on the way"

Options
  • 05-09-2011 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

September 4, 2011DUBLIN – Matt Talbot Bridge in Dublin, December 2010. Image Anthony McEvoyA UK-based long range weather forecaster has issued a severe winter weather warning for 2011-2012. The advisory has been issued following one of the coldest winters experienced in Ireland and Britain more than 45 years. James Madden from weather organization Exacta Weather correctly predicted the harsh conditions experienced over the last two years, and is once again forecasting record-breaking snowfall and freezing temperatures during November, December and January. One of Madden’s primary methods of analyzing long range weather conditions is his analysis of solar cycles. Last week Irish Weather Online carried a story from the National Solar Observatory (NSO) and the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) stating that a missing jet stream, fading spots, and slower activity near the poles are signs that our Sun is heading for a rest period even as it is acting up for the first time in years. Dr. Frank Hill, associate director of the NSO’s Solar Synoptic Network, said of the results: “this could be the last solar maximum we’ll see for a few decades. That would affect everything from space exploration to Earth’s climate. National newspapers, including the Irish Independent and Irish Times, subsequently carried stories warning that a decrease in solar activity will bring Arctic Winters to Ireland and Britain over the coming decades. Commenting on the solar cycle, James Madden said: “Periods of low solar activity at present and what we have seen in recent years influence the Earth’s atmosphere by allowing the stratosphere to cool. This has a somewhat more profound effect over Northern Europe and the UK in terms of colder and snowier winters, due to jet stream patterns that block warm air from reaching us and create more moisture.”
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGMTTMxqo-6AO-FRz7ZJlvTbqwHaq2thJAWx1CucZO6s8YWXRZAlthough sunspot activity has increased somewhat this year and there has been an increase in solar flare activity, the activity is minuscule in comparison to what it should be like during a solar maximum and in terms of frequency. Periods of low solar activity such as this have future repercussions of low solar activity in future cycles and produce extra cloud cover that reflects sunlight with a cooling influence on Earth. The lack of major sunspots and solar flares clearly indicate a slower conveyor belt within the sun. We are now in a very weak solar maximum and my observations indicate that the next solar cycle will also be weak”, he added. Mr. Madden also said that the dust and ash particles released by the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland and Chile would also contribute to cooling down of global temperatures. He said he expected the 2011-2012 winter to follow a similar pattern in terms of how November and December was in 2010 for the vast majority of the coming winter. “It will be exceptionally cold and snowy with well below average temperatures. I fully expect to see records broken with the highlands of Scotland being once again particularly hard hit. It is therefore vital to start preparing now in terms of high energy bills and raising awareness amongst the most vulnerable and elderly people of society”, Mr. Madden concluded. -IWO

Matt Talbot Bridge in Dublin, December 2010. Image Anthony McEvoyA UK-based long range weather forecaster has issued a severe winter weather warning for 2011-2012. The advisory has been issued following one of the coldest winters experienced in Ireland and Britain more than 45 years.

James Madden from weather organisation Exacta Weather correctly predicted the harsh conditions experienced over the last two years, and is once again forecasting record breaking snowfall and freezing temperatures during November, December and January.

One of Madden’s primary methods of analysing long range weather conditions is his analysis of solar cycles. Last week Irish Weather Online carried a story from the National Solar Observatory (NSO) and the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) stating that a missing jet stream, fading spots, and slower activity near the poles are signs that our Sun is heading for a rest period even as it is acting up for the first time in years.

Dr. Frank Hill, associate director of the NSO’s Solar Synoptic Network, said of the results: “this could be the last solar maximum we’ll see for a few decades. That would affect everything from space exploration to Earth’s climate.

National newspapers, including the Irish Independent and Irish Times, subsequently carried stories warning that a decrease in solar activity will bring Arctic Winters to Ireland and Britain over the coming decades.

Commenting on the solar cycle, James Madden said: “Periods of low solar activity at present and what we have seen in recent years influence the Earth’s atmosphere by allowing the stratosphere to cool. This has a somewhat more profound effect over Northern Europe and the UK in terms of colder and snowier winters, due to jet stream patterns that block warm air from reaching us and create more moisture.”

“Although sunspot activity has increased somewhat this year and there has been an increase in solar flare activity, the activity is minuscule in comparison to what it should be like during a solar maximum and in terms of frequency. Periods of low solar activity such as this have future repercussions of low solar activity in future cycles and produce extra cloud cover that reflects sunlight with a cooling influence on Earth. The lack of major sunspots and solar flares clearly indicate a slower conveyor belt within the sun. We are now in a very weak solar maximum and my observations indicate that the next solar cycle will also be weak”, he added.

Commenting on La Nina and the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic Drift and their effect on our weather, Mr. Madden stated: “It is visible to see from recent NOAA satellite images that the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic Drift has drastically altered within the last few years. The Gulf Stream is basically a huge volume of heated water that brings warmth to the UK in terms of a mild atmosphere. This softens the climate we experience for the latitude we lie on. For example let’s take Newfoundland who lie on a similar latitude to the UK, yet they experience much harsher winters as they do not benefit from this valuable heat source.

“La Niña is the cooling of the Pacific Ocean near the equator and influences changes to atmospheric pressure and wind changes. In terms of the UK this makes the jet streams in the North Atlantic stronger and therefore offers more precipitation in the form of widespread heavy snowfall during below average temperatures as cold easterlies dominate”, he explained.

Mr. Madden also said that the dust and ash particles released by the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland and Chile would also contribute to cooling down of global temperatures. He continued: “Converted sulphur dioxide emissions from volcanic eruptions can also cause sunlight reflection in the atmosphere. “

He said he expected the 2011-2012 winter to follow a similar pattern in terms of how November and December was in 2010 for the vast majority of the coming winter.

“It will be exceptionally cold and snowy with well below average temperatures. I fully expect to see records broken with the highlands of Scotland being once again particularly hard hit. It is therefore vital to start preparing now in terms of high energy bills and raising awareness amongst the most vulnerable and elderly people of society”, Mr. Madden concluded

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

So what is the definition of an Arctic Winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

September 4, 2011DUBLIN – Matt Talbot Bridge in Dublin, December 2010. Image Anthony McEvoyA UK-based long range weather forecaster has issued a severe winter weather warning for 2011-2012. The advisory has been issued following one of the coldest winters experienced in Ireland and Britain more than 45 years. James Madden from weather organization Exacta Weather correctly predicted the harsh conditions experienced over the last two years, and is once again forecasting record-breaking snowfall and freezing temperatures during November, December and January. One of Madden’s primary methods of analyzing long range weather conditions is his analysis of solar cycles. Last week Irish Weather Online carried a story from the National Solar Observatory (NSO) and the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) stating that a missing jet stream, fading spots, and slower activity near the poles are signs that our Sun is heading for a rest period even as it is acting up for the first time in years. Dr. Frank Hill, associate director of the NSO’s Solar Synoptic Network, said of the results: “this could be the last solar maximum we’ll see for a few decades. That would affect everything from space exploration to Earth’s climate. National newspapers, including the Irish Independent and Irish Times, subsequently carried stories warning that a decrease in solar activity will bring Arctic Winters to Ireland and Britain over the coming decades. Commenting on the solar cycle, James Madden said: “Periods of low solar activity at present and what we have seen in recent years influence the Earth’s atmosphere by allowing the stratosphere to cool. This has a somewhat more profound effect over Northern Europe and the UK in terms of colder and snowier winters, due to jet stream patterns that block warm air from reaching us and create more moisture.”
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGMTTMxqo-6AO-FRz7ZJlvTbqwHaq2thJAWx1CucZO6s8YWXRZAlthough sunspot activity has increased somewhat this year and there has been an increase in solar flare activity, the activity is minuscule in comparison to what it should be like during a solar maximum and in terms of frequency. Periods of low solar activity such as this have future repercussions of low solar activity in future cycles and produce extra cloud cover that reflects sunlight with a cooling influence on Earth. The lack of major sunspots and solar flares clearly indicate a slower conveyor belt within the sun. We are now in a very weak solar maximum and my observations indicate that the next solar cycle will also be weak”, he added. Mr. Madden also said that the dust and ash particles released by the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland and Chile would also contribute to cooling down of global temperatures. He said he expected the 2011-2012 winter to follow a similar pattern in terms of how November and December was in 2010 for the vast majority of the coming winter. “It will be exceptionally cold and snowy with well below average temperatures. I fully expect to see records broken with the highlands of Scotland being once again particularly hard hit. It is therefore vital to start preparing now in terms of high energy bills and raising awareness amongst the most vulnerable and elderly people of society”, Mr. Madden concluded. -IWO

We have two threads relating to Winter already:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Yes this is true !!! was told to me last week

Went for a Tarot reading :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

I love how these long-range forecasters pop up out of nowhere claiming great past accuracy... Notice how vague and slippery the forecast is.. "colder and snowier winters". Than what exactly? Last winter? Average? No numbers, no way of assessing it numerically. Typical bluff and bluster and chancerism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

"record breaking" that covers all the stats:rolleyes:

Telling the future will always create interest and when based on a few new theories then even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

octo wrote: »
    I love how these long-range forecasters pop up out of nowhere claiming great past accuracy... Notice how vague and slippery the forecast is.. "colder and snowier winters". Than what exactly? Last winter? Average? No numbers, no way of assessing it numerically. Typical bluff and bluster and chancerism.

:D I just found my word of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

James Madden from weather organization Exacta Weather...

None of these guys ever seem to start up websites that make forecasts for averge/normal weather conditions. Always seems to be dramatic (hit generating/headline making) forecasts.

Just sayin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking at the la nina/el nino outlook for this winter the general view seems to be that it will be moderate to neutral, whereas last winter la nina was quite strong. Admittedly this is based on historical data so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i'll believe it when i see it, cork got one big snow event a week before christmas and that was it, although the snow on the ground stuck around for 2 weeks after wards because it was so cold :D

i love the snow, the ice i could live without, it was a nightmare to just get down from the hill on my estate, let alone try and get into college.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i love the snow, the ice i could live without, .

They come as a package deal :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

I'm predicting an artic winter at the Artic this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

GSF wrote: »
    I'm predicting an artic winter at the Artic this year.

Global warming?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

We're getting winters like "The Day After Tommorow".Brrr:(

We're getting winters like "The Day After Tommorow".Brrr:(

That's early :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mike65 wrote: »
    Looking at the la nina/el nino outlook for this winter the general view seems to be that it will be moderate to neutral, whereas last winter la nina was quite strong. Admittedly this is based on historical data so we'll see.

la nina/el nino has been somewhat irrelevant over the last two years, when you considers the cold spells we had. with this in mind, i recall in 2009/10 one of the chief netweather forecasters saying there was no way we could have a signifcant cold period that year because of el nino. So clearly something else was overriding the influence of el nino on us that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WHY START ANOTHER THREAD FOR WINTER?!!..... Ill glady read it in the Main WINTER THREAD!...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I admire the long rangers for at least having a stab at a forecast. UK Met have been lambasted for getting them wrong & might be put off trying in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Remember this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mike65 wrote: »
    Remember this?

Daily Express 10p :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Early days yet, but no real sign of any decent cold what so ever:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Early days yet, but no real sign of any decent cold what so ever:(

Yeah, fair point Musicman.

However you must remember its only the end of October. Cast your mind back to this exact day 12 months ago and look at MT's five day forecast from the 26th October 2010.

Very similar to his forecast from this morning - and we all know what happened at the end of November into all of December 2010. Worth bearing in mind.........:D

Tuesday, 26 October, 2010

TODAY ... very mild with showers ending in eastern counties, then generally dry until an outbreak of heavy showers with thunder possible, spreading into western counties this afternoon and across the north this evening. Some parts of the southeast may remain dry. Rainfalls otherwise 5-15 mms. Highs could reach 16 or 17 C as winds from the SSW reach 20-40 mph.

TONIGHT ... heavy showers continuing, but clearing later, windy, SW 20-40 mph, lows only 10-12 C.

WEDNESDAY ... partly cloudy and very mild with SW winds 20-35 mph, highs near 15 C. Another batch of heavy showers likely by afternoon west, evening north and east.

THURSDAY ... intervals of cloud and sun, becoming quite windy again by afternoon and evening (southerly 20-40 mph) with periods of heavy rain developing by evening. Lows near 8 C and highs near 14 C.

FRIDAY ... windy and mild with heavy showers, partial clearing to follow as winds veer from S 30-50 mph to SW 35-55 mph (some higher gusts are possible). Lows near 9 C and highs near 15 C.

SATURDAY ... partly cloudy and somewhat cooler with isolated showers, highs around 10 C.

SUNDAY ... breezy becoming windy at times in Connacht, as a west to northwest gale develops, rather chilly with occasional rain and squally showers, highs near 9 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes if i recall from last years, all indicators were looking terrible up until a week or two before the event and then bang the coldest December in 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Yes if i recall from last years, all indicators were looking terrible up until a week or two before the event and then bang the coldest December in 50 years.

When did the cold snap start last year?

Some amount of views on this thread nearly 4500 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

There was a massive dump of snow on the weekend of 27th Nov last year, thats when it began

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Daily Express 10p :eek:

It should be free with the sh1t it prints....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

shamcfc wrote: »
    When did the cold snap start last year?

Some amount of views on this thread nearly 4500 :)

The first solid indicators in the charts came last year about the 18th of November. So a good 4 weeks to that date yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

The predictions of a hard winter (as started by John Madden of Exacta Weather and widely reported in the print media) have sparked a furore on LiveLine because the garden centre businesses have seen a fall off in business. The Donegal postman Michael Gallagher has had to come on to say it was nothing to do with him, but that doesn't stop Joe Duffy from repeating the allegation.

The more you listen to Joe the more thick he seems to be. I know it's all an act, of course. Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Coles wrote: »
    The predictions of a hard winter (as started by John Madden of Exacta Weather and widely reported in the print media) have sparked a furore on LiveLine because the garden centre businesses have seen a fall off in business. The Donegal postman Michael Gallagher has had to come on to say it was nothing to do with him, but that doesn't stop Joe Duffy from repeating the allegation.

The more you listen to Joe the more thick he seems to be. I know it's all an act, of course. Genius.

Spot on. Just sent Joe a mail to set him straight. Doubt the truth will come out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I was listening to it and he said it will be a normal winter :(

I never though people would take it so seriously that people won't buy flower bulbs and damage the gardening sector.

I planted bulbs and the ground was frozen for 3 or 4 weeks and the they grew up well.

I am not 100% convinced with Michael Gallagher predictions. People seen to just remember when he was right and forgot all the predictions he gets wrong.

People forgot
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/postman-predicts-respite-from-snow-will-be-brief-2476501.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfeyqleyqloj/rss2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lucreto wrote: »
    I was listening to it and he said it will be a normal winter :(

I never though people would take it so seriously that people won't buy flower bulbs and damage the gardening sector.

I planted bulbs and the ground was frozen for 3 or 4 weeks and the they grew up well.

I am not 100% convinced with Michael Gallagher predictions. People seen to just remember when he was right and forgot all the predictions he gets wrong.

People forgot
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/postman-predicts-respite-from-snow-will-be-brief-2476501.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfeyqleyqloj/rss2/

i dont think hes all that great at all, he doesnt do summer forecasts only winter ones, and precited wed get a white christmas the last two years and a cold winter which was right.but his forecasts were so vague anyone could do the same he never said when the cold will hit,how much,how long,where, just itll be very cold with lots of snow and many parts will see a white christmas. i think it was a very vague forecast and fluke, hes gotten as many things wrong as he got right, i wouldnt take any notice:)

Advertisement